Box vs Mouth Turkey calls

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Jimmany, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Which would you rather get between these two? also consider the price difference. This year is going to be my first time turkey hunting and I want to see what you guys think. Thanks

2. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer mouth calls, but they take some getting used to. I like them due to the fact that you have minimal movement to operate them.

Since you're starting out you may want to go for the box call or a pot call of some type.

3. kywhitetails

kywhitetails Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Starting out I would get you a box call or a push button call. I would also buy a cheap mouth call to play with. Leave it in your car or truck and play with whenever your driving around. Mouth calls are handy especially if hunting alone and need to call while holding your bow or gun.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

4. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have probably 10 mouth calls and this weekend I bidded on 3 slate calls at a silent auction thinking maybe I would get lucky and win one. Unfortunately, I won all 3. Although this is my first time ever using a slate call, they're definitely a lot easier to use but I think I still prefer my mouth calls - probably because I'm better and more confident but I don't know for sure. Knight & Hale Sweet V 3 Reed diaphragm is among my favorites

5. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I started out turkey hunting two years ago and used slates. I got pretty good on them and this year I decided to try a diaphragm call for the first time. I love them! They sound great but take a good while and a lot of practicing to get even halfway decent with one. I'm still learning (practicing every day) but have gotten the hang of it now. For just starting I would definitely stick to to friction calls as they take way less practice and still sound great. But like ky said I would also pick up a diaphragm just to start playing and practicing with.

Good luck and happy hunting!