My First Bow - PSE Vision - Need Advice - Doubts

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by sedasonic, Mar 21, 2014.

1. sedasonic

sedasonic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Good morning folks,

Well, I'm from Brazil and I'm gonna do an Exchange program in June in USA. So, I decided to buy my first bow there. I just started to study about bow 1 week ago. I was looking for some good cheap equipment and then I found this PSE Vision Bow. Take a look:

Purpose: Have fun, target and field. It's not allowed to hunt in Brazil and I don't wanna get in tournaments either. Well, I can go to the forest and put some target with unknown distance maybe.

2014 PSE Vision Ready to Hunt Compound Bow Package - Hunter's Friend
    Price: U$499
    2014 PSE Vision Compound Bow RH
    IBO Speed: 306 FPS
    A2A Length: 33''
    Brace Height: 7''
    Draw Weights: 15-70''
    Draw Length: 12-30''
    Bow Mass: 4.2 Lb
    Bow Finish: Infinity Camo
    Eccentrics: Twin Cam
    Let-off: 70% Standard
    Draw Height Range: 70# Peak Limbs
    Arrow rest: Quickshot Whisker Biscuit
    Sight: PSE Gemini 3 Pin Sight
    Peep Sight: 1/8'' Medium Fletcher Style / Height: 13cm
    Hard Bow Case Black
    Arrow: 9 Custom Carbon Arrows Bright Color (Fletch with 3 inch Offset Vanes)
    String Loop
    Release: Tru-Fire Patriot Caliper
    Stabilizer: Vibracheck Flexxtech 2
    Quiver: PSE Shadow Quiver in Camo
    Wrist Sling: PSE Neoprene Logo Sling

My doubts are:
    1. Is it a good equipment to start and to use as an intermediate? I don't wanna buy another one for too long.
    2. I wanna replace the sight and the arrow rest. What y'all think about it?
    Sight TROPHY RIDGE HITMAN 5-pin
    Hitman - Hunter's Friend
    Rest Qad Hunter
    QAD Hunter Arrow Rest - Hunter's Friend
    3. Arrow: I'm not gonna use the BroadHeads pointer for Hunt. So, on the website that I'm gonna buy my bow, the most popular vane option is 3 inch Offset Vane. Should I choose, 3 inch or 4 inch vane? Offset, Straight or Helical vane?
    4. My Draw Length is 25.354 inch. Should I set up my bow with 25.5 inch, 25 inch or less then that?
    5. The Draw Weight is ajustable from 15-70#, but I was reading that 60# is too much for beginners. So, what is the heaviest draw weight set up for beginners? I'm an adult, a little bit skinny and short, but I am a martial arts teacher. So, I workout pretty often and then I was thinking about something between 45# and 55#.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

2. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the Site!

The Vision is aimed towards beginners in that it allows a large growth rate you as you get familiar with the bow. Typically these are marketed towards youth but serve well for anyone. Seeings as how you plan to swap out the sight and rest you could do better to buy a bare bow (no accessories included) and go from there. These bows will typically only offer a poundage range of 10# (40-50, 50-60, 60-70), though.

Doubts:
    1. It would absolutely suit your needs and perform well.
    2. Replacing the "stock" rest and sight are always a good idea on a package bow. You made good choices.
    3. Typically, when you buy arrows anymore they will come with some variation of a 2"-3" vane in a right offset fletch. With fieldpoints you will not notice much of a difference between offset and helical.
    4. I would start with your draw length at 25". It's always better to go shorter than longer. Your bow tech should be able to properly fit you.
    5. Start low on the poundage, most guys have the strength for 70#. It's all a matter of conditioning your muscles to move in a certain direction.

Good luck!

3. sedasonic

sedasonic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    At first, I would like to thank you so much for your fast answer and also thanks for your welcome.

Well, I'm gonna buy a 70# Bow Limbs and then set for 60#. I'm also gonna set the Draw Length at 25". With a let-off of 70%, It's gonna be only 21 pounds to draw my bow. Actually, I'm gonna buy something with 20 pounds and then start to condition my muscles until June.

About my arrow, I am gonna choose the most popular option (3 inch Offset Vane). As you said, I will not notice much of a difference.

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it. God bless you.

4. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Let us know if you have any other questions!

5. sedasonic

sedasonic Newb

Dislikes Received:
  6. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    The QAD Pro is much easier to adjust and tune. I would suggest getting this model

7. sedasonic

sedasonic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you so much.

Alright, I'm gonna get QAD Pro LD model.

I loved this forum, less than one day and all of my questions were answered. That's awesome.

8. sedasonic

sedasonic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Good morning folks.

I got one more question.

I'm also thinking about to replace the stabilizer. Is it a good idea? I didn't like this Vibracheck Flexxtech 2. It's very ugly, but I don't wanna lose performance because of beauty.

I would like to replace by this one:
    Balance X - Hunter's Friend

What y'all think about it?

9. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thats a good stabilizer. With stabs...it comes down to what works and feels good to you. I use a Bee Stingers Sport Hunter Extreme and love it. They range from $59-$89 on Ebay.

Bee Stinger Sport Hunter Xtreme - Bee Stinger Stabilizers

10. sedasonic

sedasonic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you so much for your answer. Actually, I'm just changing the stabilizer because of beauty.

The OCTANE BALANCE X is more beautiful than Vibracheck Flexxtech 2.

Thank you so much. As soon as I buy my bow I'm gonna put some pictures and reviews for y'all.

Have a nice week y'all.

11. sedasonic

sedasonic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Good afternoon y'all. I hope everybody is ok.

Well, I was talking with the seller about my bow and check it out what he said:

"And the PSE Vision has roughly 30# of draw weight range, so a 70# Vision can easily adjust to 50#."

Is that true?

Thank you.

12. Live2Draw

Live2Draw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    very true! the bow is set up for a growing archer, so they put in tons of adjustment!!!
    Martial arts instructor? From Brazil? BJJ?? :)

13. sedasonic

sedasonic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So, there is no problem to buy this bow with 70# and set at 50#. Right?

Hell ya. BJJ instructor and I'm a student of Taekwondo, Muaythai and Capoeira. I love martial arts. Lolololol

14. Live2Draw

Dislikes Received:
    I took Muaythai for 4 years and kickboxing and kajunkenpo. Did a year of aikido and have been in and out of BJJ because of mixed martial arts dabbling. really wish i had time for it full time. its an art!!!
    that bow will be fine at 50 all the way to 70. if you are spending that money though there will be a few other bows that would be just as good. 50-60 lbs will be more than enough to do anything. shop around. i would try to shoot some a bit before you bought something. treat archery as a martial art, and choose your equipment to fit you.

15. sedasonic

sedasonic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Man, you're just like me. A lover of fight, I mean martial arts.

Well, the bow's final price is gonna be 644 with all things included (bow, tax, ship, setup, tuning, replace equipment). The original price is 499 plus Sight, arrow rest and stabilizer that I changed. The bow coming 100% ready to shoot.

Do you think that the price is expensive or it's ok? Do you have any other option?

I really liked the specifications for this bow (33" A2A Length, 7" Brace Height and 70% Let-off). And I decided to order with Skullworks finish. Actually, I didn't place my order yet. Imma do that by July. So, I'm studying options and price for while.

My limit price is 650.00 by the way.

16. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you look at the archery talk classifieds you can probably find a very high end bow in great condition and in your price range. If your willing to buy used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Live2Draw

Dislikes Received:
    That is what i would do. Look on craigslist > sites too! I always find deals.
    The nicer the bow, the happier you will be.

18. sedasonic

sedasonic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well, the problem about the craiglist and the classifieds is the warranty. I gonna check anyways, but I really would like to buy a new one and I liked this one.

The question is: This bow is not good or it's expensive?

Thank you.

19. Live2Draw

Dislikes Received:
    I have never had too much issue with warranty stuff. I actually have never had a situation where having one would come in handy in 20+ years of shooting.
    It is a fair deal, but I think for that money you could get a very high end bow in the used market. I do understand though that that option isnt for everyone. At the end of the day, the most important person to make happy is yourself. and I can almost promise that, as a first time shooter, you will be happy shooting almost any bow you wrap your hands around!

20. hunter76

hunter76 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    pse vision is good but I like more pse brute x

IBO Speed: 320 FPS Brace Height:7.25 In.

Draw Length: 25-30 In. Let-off:75%

Draw Weight: 50,60,70# Bow Weight: 4.7#

IBO Speed Rating: 320 Feet Per Second

you can look here for more info PSE Brute X Compound Bow Review & Specs | CompoundBowHQ