Rage Extreme Question

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by tpmonaha, Sep 30, 2013.

1. tpmonaha

tpmonaha Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I am shooting the NAP spitfires right now and I like them a lot but I have always wanted to try the rage extremes. I like the fact its a COC and with a 2.3 inch cut its hard not try them out. I am shooting 68 lbs out of my martin. I'm shooting the easton axis 400's and love them, I have had pass throughs on the last 5 deer ive shot with them since last season. My only fear is, am I shooting enough lbs to have enough KE for those extremes with my setup?

Let me know what you guys think, thanks!

Pat

2. bghunter777

bghunter777 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stay with the Spitfires they are a better head!

3. tpmonaha

tpmonaha Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey I like that response haha

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You will do fine with the Rage Extreme broadhead at 68lbs. I have been shooting them since they hit the market and I have had Great Success with them. The penetrate very well and the shock collar is way better than the O-ring. If the broadheads you are using is working for you, stick with it. But, give the Rage Extremes a try, you won't be disappointed!

5. tpmonaha

tpmonaha Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks sam! My cousin shot his first deer with the bow last thursday, really pretty 8pointer with the new hypodermics and it did the trick for sure. I just like that big of a cut the extremes have. And the shock collar seems to do ok from what I have seen so far.

6. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Spitfire Edge 1-3/4" cut.
    [​IMG]

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Doe Kill quartering away at 25 yards last year with Rage Extreme. Blew threw the opposite shoulder.
    Doe Kill1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  8. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hard to argue with that. Have never seen a hole that big....but a hard quartering shot will give you that.

I think you have enough KE for the rages ...but a spitfire it a GREAT head. Backed up time and time again. For years. I don't think I have ever read about a spitfire malfunctioning.

9. ckeith

ckeith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I only shoot 60 lbs since i started having shoulder problems and i shoot the Rage 2 blade extremes and i absolutely love them. I've had complete pass through on all 5 deer i've shot with them. I'll try to post a pic of the the entrance hole they left on the doe i shot last week as soon get to my phone. You'll love them if you make the switch!!!

10. ckeith

ckeith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    She was 12 yards walking towards me not a shot I'd usually take but felt confident could make it. She ran 20 yards from where I shot her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

11. bghunter777

bghunter777 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot 2 with Rockets this weekend as with the most of them over my last 15 years I watched both of them fall combined distance less than 50 yards. I'm not a Rage guy used them for 2 season not even close to the penetration and nothing gained in my experience over some of the better mechanicals Rage are marketing hype and a poor design IMO.

12. Mathewshooter

Mathewshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My son shot this deer with the Rage Extreme Chisel Tip yesterday. It made one heck of a hole. He's shooting 306 fps with a 435 grain arrow out of his setup

Attached Files:

13. Cody_MidMO

Cody_MidMO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a question, not trying to hijack the thread. I'm shooting the rage hypodermic witht he shock collars. I test fired a couple and the shock collar still has tabs left, does anyone rotate the callar and still use them till all the tabs are gone? Or do you replace them after each shot?

14. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have used the Rage, original version, since they came out and love them. Last year I changed to the Rage Chisel tip w/ the 2" cut. I must be one of the few that have never had trouble with the "O" ring. They have always flown perfectly and cut very well on entrance and exit. I have yet to shoot a deer in the last 18+ years of hunting deer and been able to blame not finding one on the broadhead. A poor hit is usually operator error when you get right down to it. It isn't the limb you hit or the deers fault. It comes down to poor decisions and not paying attention to your surroundings.
    I shoot the Mathews SwitchbackXT at #65 with a 28" draw and Gold Tip 5575 Hunter XT's and 100 Grain Rage Chisel tips. Total weight is 375 grains. Comes out to be about 278 FPS.
    I killed that turkey last Friday with the Chisel tip at 30yds. Granted it was a turkey and not a deer but all 28" of that arrow passed clear through the bone and went in the ground about 7". Turkey went 20yds.