Redfield Renegade 7X50 Binoculars

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Treestandsniper, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Purchased online for $ 100 from optics planet.com. $ 25 mail in rebate good until the end of August.

The binos arrived (with free shipping) four days after ordering.

I deliberately ordered the lower power large objective lense model for light transmission and image stability. This is a full-sized porro prism bino, so it might not be for everyone. After some careful research I learned that porro prisms provide superior imaging for binos under the $ 400-500 price range. I haven't tried out Vortex binos and have read some good things for roof prism units in this price range...so I not bashing other brands. I am after all talking about a $ 75 dollar purchase.

Pros:

Incredible 3d images...wow is the first word out of everyone's mouth after first viewing

Easy to adjust knurled adjustment knob

Comfortable neoprene neck strap

7X50 fully multi-coated water proof format is the next best thing to night vision gear. The exit pupil is slightly larger that the human pupil at full night time dilation.

Cons:

Large size due to 50 mm objective lense and porro prism design

Lens caps are made of hard plastic and aren't tethered to the binos...something that can be resolved with a little effort

Screw up eye pieces will move out of position with a little brow pressure.

Overall this bino is an outstanding value and I highly reccomend them for both still and stand hunting. I will try and post some pics which show how I modified the case for field use.

2. Treestandsniper

Dislikes Received:
  3. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  4. Treestandsniper

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks DC. I have a pair of 8X30 Simmons binos, but they have always let me down in the field due internal fogging and difficult focusing. Not talking smack, but the Redfields are vastly superior in optical quality. Having said that, I've read where some of the lower cost binos of today are approaching the optical quality of the high-end models of 10 years ago. This especially true when comparing inexpensive porro prism units to expensive roof prism units.

I was initially pissed when the external lenses fogged up on a hunt last weekend. After some reading, it seems that all binos will fog up externally due to condensation. I treated the lenses with Rainx Anti-Fog and problem solved.

5. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They were a gift. :D

They do not have to be adjusted so if you see a deer you just have to grab them and look.

6. Treestandsniper

Dislikes Received:
  7. Treestandsniper

Dislikes Received:
    I captured the above image through one tube of the bino using an IPad. The pic doesn't do justice to the actual image quality due to additional distortion from imperfect alignment and a flatter image caused by using a single tube. Nonetheless, you get a feel for the potential of these binos. The purple vase is about 50 yards and the house is roughly 140 yards