DIY Stand?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Tinman46, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Tinman46

Tinman46 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im thinking about making a DIY hang on stand. Has anyone done this before or used one? If so, what are some of the things i should know before hand?

Right now, i plan on using 1" square steel and welding the platform and seat frame work separate from the frame so i can connect the two with a hinge setup ( i wanna make it easy to carry and setup). from there, Ill just weld caging for the platform and seat and pad the seat real good to make it all day butt friendly. Obviously, i will have "crawls" or "spikes" welded to the framework for holding power when strapped in place.

The reason i want to make my own is simply for cost reasons. I want a nice comfortable stand that isnt going to cost me $150 to $200+ since i just found out i have a little one on the way:nana:. Plus i just like making things myself.

Thoughts?

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm no welder, so there's no way I'd attempt to make my own. I suppose if you are an experienced welder then you can probably handle the job. I just suggest testing its capacity to at least double what you plan on it needing to hold. Don't cut corners, your safety is more valuable then the amount of money you are going to save.

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with SKywalker on this one. You can find safe but still cheap stands for under $100.

4. Matr138920

Matr138920 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to make my own stands, but now I don't have access to a welder.

I used 3/4" steel tubing painted black for the frame, with bolts and nuts connecting the two posts in the rear to hold the seat. The seat was held on using angle iron with holes drilled through it and drywall screws to connect a piece of plywood. You can cushion the plywood if you wish, I never did. I used trailer grate for the platform welded to the frame.

1. Build the platform(I used 4 posts in platform) and weld the grate to it.
    2. Drill holes evenly through the two posts and platform to connect with bolts and nuts.
    3. Drill holes throught the front portion of the platform for garage door wire.
    4. Drill holes (2 on each) post for the garage wire and bolts for angle iron
    5. Drill 2 more holes on two posts to attach chain/padlock with bolts
    6. Drill 4 holes in angle iron (2 for attachment to posts) (2 for dry wall screws to seat)
    7. Assembly

I hope this helps, sorry if the directions aren't specific, but they should give you an idea

5. Greg.Johnston

Greg.Johnston Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Back in the day they used to just put wooden stands up in the trees. My uncle and cousin still hunt out of wooden platforms built pert near 10-20 years ago. Thats the cheapest way if you ask me.

6. Tinman46

Tinman46 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I actually did think about wood but figured if i have access to a welder why not use metal. I have a couple family members that might want me to make them one too and id be a lot more comfortable putting them in a metal stand.

7. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No thanks! :) Its not worth my time or the risk. I would only consider doing something like this if I needed a bunch of them. Wood would certainly not be a option.

8. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would not do it but if your experienced and have the skills then go ahead man. I want to see pics though. :D

9. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  10. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Do everybody who works in EMS/Fire and the ER's a favor and buy your tree stands.

Saving $50 is not worth any risks that come with "manufacturing" them yourselves.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy s4

11. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some of you make it sound like its super dangerous to build a deer stand. Its not. I wouldn't have any problem using a stand I built and I've built a few. HOWEVER if I had to carry it very far I'd spend the money and buy a good LIGHT WEIGHT aluminum stand.

12. breazyears

breazyears Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have to agree. If your capable of doing it. Do it. The tree stands that we all use are built by someone. You don't have to be an engineer. Just copy one that you like.

13. Matr138920

Matr138920 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There's absoultely nothing wrong with making your own stands. Have made metal stands that were welded together, and I have also used wooden stands, but just like a car you have to do routine checks on them. One of the easiest stands to build is a a wooden one. I would use 2 trees close togther and connect the 2 of them with 2x4s on the side, then fill in the top with 2x4s, just make sure that you don't cut off too much width, then I would make a seat with 2 parallel 2x4s and 1 on each side of which ever tree you decide to put your back against. Then just fill in the top section with 2x4s. Just make sure you use treated lumber.

14. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    a weld is a weld if done correctly. There is no difference between the welds a professional shop makes over the welds I make. The steel I buy will probably be better than the cheap steel on a $40 stand.

Do I make my own stands? No. Not worth it. I've sat down and crunched the numbers. When I can buy hang on stands with sticks for $75-$100, I can't justify spending an afternoon farting around with it. If it took me 4hrs from start to finish to make it then I have to paint it, I'm up to $100 right there and I don't even have climbing sticks yet...

You can't compete with assembly lines.

15. caddis74354

caddis74354 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I made mine myself when I was putting together the rock sliders for my Jeep/ 1" tubing is fine unless you're 300 lbs... then you might want to use a groundblind lol. The directions above are pretty much the way i did it. I used a row of triangle teeth i plasma cut out of some sheet metal to give it extra grip