Climbing tree stand question

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by MartinBowShooter, Dec 27, 2012.

1. MartinBowShooter

MartinBowShooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This may be a dumb question but here it is.
    I got a Summit Viper classic climber about a month ago and have used it a couple times. Every time I climb with it both the platform and the seat seem to slide back and forth a lot. If I lock the teeth in really good it doesn't slide down the tree but it does slide side to side. Just wondering if maybe it has something to do with the size of the tree or something else? Maybe this is normal?
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

2. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The seat section should of come with a strap that you tighten around the tree. You probably also use that strap to tie the two section together when packing.

Two other things. Really hard barked trees can cause this. Also smaller size trees can do this. However, your summit is probably the most rock solid one out there and I question if you are not doing something wrong? Did you read your instruction manual and/or watch a video?

3. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like your going to get hurt,try a soft bark tree past that I would call them before you use it again. Not normal for a stand to move around my api grandslam bowhunter stand is rock solid on soft bark trees but any stand can be scary on hard barked tree. good luck and put hat safety belt on

4. MartinBowShooter

Dislikes Received:
    I do have the green strap that you are talking about it but I was under the impression that it is only used once you are at your set height and then loop it around the seat section. I did watch the video sent with the tree stand and feel like I am climbing right. I have a feeling that my issue probably has something to do with the tree. I do use a safety harness at all times though.
    Thanks for you input guys.

5. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Correct you do only use the strap when you are at hunting height. I think you are right that it is the tree. Just for the sake of it try an oak tree and see what happens. Even if you don't hunt out of it.

6. WW1

WW1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone has the same problems. First thing get rid of the strap that came with your stand that connects the top and bottom and replace it with Third Hand Archery products (the two straps). Problem solved!! I would also recommend their bow holder. Can climb with the bow so no pull up rope. Its awesome and these two minor adjustments will make you LOVE your stand.

7. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Stay away from hard bark trees. I usually climb one once a year in a pinch and remind myself why I don't climb them. Now soft bark trees I am so comfy I could climb 100 ft. Here's a slip I had on thanksgiving I was sitting there texting next thing I know my *** is on the bottom platform:screwy:[​IMG]

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

8. MartinBowShooter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks again for your help guys. I used the climber a couple times this weekend and am feeling more comfortable about using it. I still need to work on getting the platform adjusted so it is flat by the time I get to my hunting height. It also seems like it takes forever for me to climb the tree, how long does it take you guys?

9. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    From the time I arrive at my tree to the time I am hunting is probably 12 min. Actual climbing of the tree probably 5 min. You will get faster with practice.

10. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This time of year with trees frozen I have more problems getting the teeth on my viper to eat in making it rock solid. I can climb a tree pretty quick, but I use my upper body to climb not using it as a true sit and climb. Its a great stand and you'll get the hang of it.

11. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  12. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As mentioned they take some getting used to but one thing for sure, unlike hang on and ladder stands you can not lean against their sides. That will give you a start real quick.
    Also as mentioned. Always have that seat strapped to the tree once your in place.

13. MartinBowShooter

Dislikes Received:
    Do you guys have any tips when climbing with a tree stand harness looped around the tree? I want to use the harness but I feel that it adds a ton of time to my climb. I have to adjust it every time I want to climb. I have seen some different products but does anyone have any tips for climbing with the regular tree strap?

14. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I use my climber I secure the tree strap around the tree as high as I can, then climb until my top portion is just below the strap, then move it up again. It adds maybe a minute to my climb. The first few times will take you a while (I think my first time took me like 30 min), now I get up that tree in about 7 min.

15. wrkdvr

wrkdvr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Use an 8' piece of 11mm assault rope with a figure 8 on a bite at the end, and a 44" piece of 6mm cordage for a prusik knot. Clip your biner from your harness into the prusik. Bingo! Fast as hell. Give your tree strap that came with your stand to a buddy, or your dog.

16. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  17. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:

Agreed and love their bow holder. Holy smokes that great. I'm going to buy them for all my hang on's as well.

image.jpg

18. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody ever sharpen the teeth on their climber with a grinder?

19. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:

Those are cool and they solves the problem of the seat sliding sideways if you lean on it while your standing.

Wonder why summit doesn't just include this with the climbers now.

20. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So do I. I have three hang on stands with a rope on each stand. Over the past 30 years I have had 3-4 screw in steps to break and got lucky on all of them. Now with the ropes I feel much much safer if one was to break.