G5 Montec's

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Mjohn, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Mjohn

Mjohn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure what to make of them???

They fly great. No doubt they are durable. But.....

I shot a white tail doe this fall and practically nailed her to a tree with an FMJ tipped with a 100gr Montec. Sharp quartering shot through 18" of deer. After a short run she dropped in her tracks and didn't even twitch. Thing was that the blood trail was scant!

Three days later I took a longer (but within reason) shot at a muley and got a complete pass through. No blood other than what was on the arrow. I backed out and recovered the deer after more than a day of looking. The shot was a little farther back than what I wanted but I did catch the off-side lung.

I tried to touch up the blades every time I went out, but they are just not sharp like a replaceable, fixed blade head. I wonder if the cutting diameter is sufficient as well?

I bugs me because I was very impressed with how well these heads tuned, flew, and grouped. Trying the CS heads right now and bought an Arkansas stone which seems to put a better edge on them.

2. julien

julien Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i shoot the nap killzone and a 60 pounds i passed through an elk. through one shoulder and the blades were practically brand new

3. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I tried the Montecs also and didn't think they were very sharp. I tried my best to sharpen them but nothing worked!!

4. Jtmoney2002

Jtmoney2002 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They are a solid made head, I shot a 150lb hog with a montec this past spring and i had a full past through and a great blood trail.I guess its all about the shot placement. But i will say i like the killzones for whitetail , I shot a big 10 pt 2 days ago and had it go all the way though the shoulder and hit the heart and the broadhead stayed in one piece just a slight bend on one blade.

5. sevi316

sevi316 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shot a 3 year old big buck this year at 25 yards... Flew great! perfect double lung pass through... but the blood trail was lacking.. It did its job the buck only ran about 60 yards... The broadhead looked brand new after the kill.. But the cut through the animal was so clean and perfect that I think that is why the blood trail lacked... I am going to give them another try though because like I said they still did the job.

6. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The Montec, or any similar head(Hellrazor, Snuffer SS) will generally not produce as much blood as a replaceable blade head for a very simply reason. A replaceable blade is generally going to have a blade angle similar to that of a scalpel, very steep and very sharp! A solid head like the Montec has a much wider angle on the blades, meaning not as sharp.

What does this compute out too? A steeper blade angle will produce a sharper edge that will not hold its edge very long. A wider angle will produce a edge that is not quite as sharp but will stay sharper, longer.

That being said, I have never liked the Montec. Never as sharp as I feel they should be and nearly impossible to resharpen. I much prefer the NAP Hellrazor and have had great blood trails with them.

7. acmckeage03

acmckeage03 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Cant ask for much more than this-
    2 years ago shooting the CS I shot an elk at 60 yds, perfect pass through, elk expired within 80 yds and in about a minute. Radioed in to my hunting partners to come give me a hand to find out that someone else placed a bad shot on a buck that morning. Decided to give the deer some time, so we packed out my elk and followed up on the buck later that afternoon. long story shot I ended up getting a follow up shot on that buck at 35 yds and once again shot a pass through with the exact same arrow and montec that I killed my elk with earlier that morning.... Durability of these heads is amazing! The point is, even w/o a perfectly sharp broadhead, putting the arrow in the right spot is what counts. Find something that tunes well and isnt going to fall apart if you happen to put it into a shoulder or other bone. The day they stop making these montec CS I'm going to purchase another 5 boxes to last me a lifetime! Love them and would recommend to anyone.
    -Good hunting

8. nhbowhunt

nhbowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i used them on boar i shot this one at 27 yards pass through like the boar was not thier my son also shot one with g5 montec mine went 20 yards his went 30 yards good working head
    012.jpg 016.jpg

9. InnerX CBS

InnerX CBS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Montec's have had a history of not producing blood-trails on animals that have been pinwheeled. NAP Killzones and rage 2 blade get the vote here. If you need to have a fixed blade, you can't really beat the reputation and resume of Muzzy's.

10. iamsamsamiam

iamsamsamiam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I killed a doe sat morning with. Montec g5 ss. The arrow was covered with blood and after 20yds had major blood trail. She only went maybe 75yds and dropped. The arrow head is still Sharp. I had one I had been using for practice and after a couple passes with a steel it was Sharp as new. Make sure you don't use a knife/broadhead sharpened with angled carbon inserts, they are the wrong angle for a montec. You have to sharpen them by keeping them flat on all three sides and they resharpen just fine.

11. Rabbit 57

Rabbit 57 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They are not sharp.

See the last months issue of Peterson's Bowhunting on 10 fixed broadheads.

Yes. They are not sharp out of the box. And, even with the diamond stone, they still are not as sharp as other blades, according to sharpness test. As of this year I sold 18 of my Montec's with the diamond stone. I bought Wasp Hammer SST's. They are tested to be the sharpest. As sharp as a utility knife blade. And they are!

Even though the test concluded in flight, was 2" to the left, from my 2009 Monster, Easton 340 FMJ with brass HIT's 504gr. out to 40 yards they hit as my field points hit.

Sharpness of blade is very crucial in easy pass though.

12. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    to each their own I guess..and thats why we all have opinions, but I have never had any issues with the G5's and for the price and quality couldn't ask for anything better..shoot mine at my 3D Deer just to get dialed in before a hunt and then go right out in the field and have had no issues with sharpness whatsoever.

imho people are looking to much for the end all (perfect solution) to everything under the Sun.....for me it's simple...why reinvent the wheel, if it's not broken why fix it?.....

just my opinion though !!!!!!!

13. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

so then basically what you are saying is you were persuaded by an article in a Magazine then? the all powerful marketing tool worked again !!!!!!! cause your last statement about "Sharpness of a blade is crucial for pass through" is not something I read in any of the above posts...if anything all the posts state that pass through was made (and pretty easily) the thread is saying blood trail.....

14. Mississippi

Mississippi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had one exit through a shoulder blade the bury up bout 1/5 of my arrow in the dirt. If pass through is your goal you'll get it.. Never had the blood trail issue... I'm not sure how sharper would help if you get a pass through? I know I've shot deer with high powered rifle and had no blood trail even with perfect shots. I'd say if it's a consistent issue, switch...

15. Flyingrhino

Flyingrhino Newb

Dislikes Received:
    \

I've heard a few people say they are hard or impossible to sharpen. I totally disagree on this. I think they are the easiest to sharpen because of the blade angle. I just lay them flat on a 4000 grit water stone and do figure 8's equally on all blades. Then I polish the same way on an 8000 grit water stone. Mine are razor sharp. I do agree that they are not sharp enough out of the package but a little work and you have a tough BH that stands up to some pretty serious abuse. They fly very nicely.

16. Davis

Davis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have 0 complaints about my Montecs, I've shot 3 deer with them, all have passed through and buried into the dirt, blood trails were great. Touched them up with my stones and they are as good as new. Can't ask for a more sturdy and reliable broadhead in my opinion.

17. choppersk61

choppersk61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been using the Montec G5 since 2009 and never had anything to complain about...
    Sharp, tough and fly really nice.

Shot this big guy two weeks ago with the G5... Through and through, very thick hide and broke a rib when it entered.

[​IMG]
    heberger une image

Along with one more moose and two black bears, all with the G5.

I always retire the Broadhead and Arrow after a kill, so really they only need to cut once...

18. Mr.O

Mr.O Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using the Montecs for the last few seasons now. I've had all pass through shots, none of the deer went father than 65 yards. I do agree that there is not a lot of blood, but so far that hasn't been an issue for me. Accurate, extremely durable BH, so no complaints here.

19. toxophilus

toxophilus Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Very tough heads; I shot a muley buck @ 20 yards and pinned his shoulders together so he couldn't move, dropped like he was pole-axed. After a 2.5 yard recovery (he rolled down hill a little bit) we removed the broad head & touched it up, I hone mine as a last step with a 3 x 8 inch Spyderco Ultra Fine Benchstone to get them really sharp. The CS models seem easier to sharpen, they don't require as much time. [h=1][/h]

20. JLhunts

JLhunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been using the montecs for awhile and have no complaints. I sharpen them to where they'll shave hair. Just get the edge right with the flat stone and hone it with a piece of leather. They fly extremely well for me bang on to 40yds. They do have a smaller cut diameter then most mechs on the market but ive gotten more then enough blood out of hits and never damaged one yet that couldnt be resharpened. Tried the CS montecs this year on a doe as well with great results.