Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seubank is offline Junior Member Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

Best Cover Scent?

Wondering what is the best cover scent out there. I will be hunting out of a tree stand.

Slider46 is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know what's really the "best" but I've always used Scent-A-Way cover scent / odor eliminator spray. I've used the acorn and fresh earth and both seem to work in my experience. The scent wafers are nice too.

ArcheryAddict21 is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    the best cover scent is to not use any! I read a study that was done with dogs and its been proven that they can smell you better when you are wearing a coverscent because you are actually adding scent to you which is unnaturally strong. Also if you have a Carbon based scent killing suit the carbon in the suit absorbs the cover scent which diminishes its strength and ability to absorb and stop your natural odor which defeats the purpose of buying it. Go buy some scent away and spray down well, pay special attention to the bottom of your boots and legs that will be contacting the ground on your way in. if you can afford it go with a scentblocker suit you wont be sorry.
    Fred Bear Kodiak Magnum Recurve 60#
    Easton Axis Traditionals with 100gr Brass Insert
    125gr Magnus Stinger Broad Heads
    Beaver Ball Silencers & Limb Savers

TEAM 9 DOUBLE LUNG LIQUIDATORS

Slider46 is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcheryAddict21 View Post
    the best cover scent is to not use any! I read a study that was done with dogs and its been proven that they can smell you better when you are wearing a coverscent because you are actually adding scent to you which is unnaturally strong. Also if you have a Carbon based scent killing suit the carbon in the suit absorbs the cover scent which diminishes its strength and ability to absorb and stop your natural odor which defeats the purpose of buying it. Go buy some scent away and spray down well, pay special attention to the bottom of your boots and legs that will be contacting the ground on your way in. if you can afford it go with a scentblocker suit you wont be sorry.

I'd rather smell like a "strong-smelling tree" than a normal smelling human.

Honestly, that "study" seems flawed from the start. Cover scent doesn't eliminate human odor and dogs by nature will follow their nose so its not surprising that dogs were able to trail someone using a cover scent. They probably smelled the cover scent as well as the human scent. Deer don't follow scents with their noses to the ground like dogs do. Its not like they notice a smell and say "Oh I need to find out what that is right now!". (now if we're talking about using other deer scents as cover/attractant - that's a different story - we're talking methods used to hide human odor so the deer is oblivious to you or anything being there).

I think in a practical scenario (not some test with an animal that we're not even hunting) you'd be better off with a cover scent than nothing at all. A deer is probably more likely to smell a human scent and be on alert than if they smell a stronger smelling somewhat-natural scent.

As for the carbon-based clothing, you obviously wouldn't want to spray down then put the clothes on. You'd want to spray the outside of the clothing and boots, hats, etc.
    Last edited by Slider46; 09-04-2012 at 03:35 PM.
    Likes PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em liked this post

BJE80 is offline Senior Member Legendary Woodsman
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd get this. Should solve all your problems.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Cover Scent?-%24-kgrhqnhjbme9rg-iu3hbpfk-noyq-%7E%7E60_12.jpg  

There is no off-season to bowhunting.

Beer is proof god loves us.

Brad

Mad Mike is offline Senior Member Weekend Warrior
    Post Thanks / Like
    is that real?

gene hurt is offline Member Weekend Warrior
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use the scent away detergent then let my clothes dry outdoors by the pine trees, two reasons pine needles are known to help keep mosquitos awayvand it helps to cover any human odors. Good luck all.

M. T. Cartridge is offline Junior Member Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey brother, I mentioned this on here several weeks ago but I have been using Force Field De-Scent. It uses an enzyme that eliminates human odor in clothing, on you, then they have a field spray that I use once I get in the stand to knock down any smell I picked up from my truck. I gotta say I have had more deer in close than ever before even coming in down wind when I was using a ground blind. I bought it at a gun show but they have a web site. www.forcefieldpro.com then go to their outdoor sports tab and you will find the De-Scent system. I use it all but I guess you use any one of them alone.

jeffacarp is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use no cover scent. only scent eliminator spray by dead down wind. I'd rather try to mask human odor and hunt the wind than put on something that smells abnormal and strong.

nagyiii is offline Member Weekend Warrior
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use Scent Killer 99.9% cover spray and laundry soap. I also keep all of my hunting clothes in totes with sealable lids, with fresh earth scent wafers added in.
    Bowtech 82nd Airborne, 60# 29" draw
    Gold Tip Trophy Hunter arrows, 27"
    Muzzy 100 grain 3 blade broadheads
    Spot Hogg 5 pin sight with optic wrap
    QAD drop away rest
    Tru Fire release
    Scent Lok Coveralls
    Scent Killer 99.9% cover scent

SharpEyeSam is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't use a cover scent. I use Dead Down Wind products. I too keep all my hunting gear in a container with a lid. I also wash a towel in scent free detergent and take it to wipe away any sweat when I get to my stand. I get to the stand early to give myself time to cool down from the walk in.
    Mathews Z7 Magnum/Totally Lost Creed 29"/70lbs.
    HHA DS-5519 Sights
    2013 QAD Ultra Rest HDX Right Hand, Lost Camo and Red
    Easton Full Metal Jacket (Lost Camo)
    Nockturnal X-Nocks (Red), Nockturnal (Green)
    Mathews T5 Quivers
    Axion 5 in. Stabilizers, Lost Camo
    Rage Extreme and Hypodermic Broadheads
    Nikon Archer's Choice Rangefinder

DLC Covert Pro staff

2013, 2014 GTG Attendee
    2013 GTG Long Haul Award

Jtmoney2002 is offline Senior Member Weekend Warrior
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use scent away earth scent or scent killer autumn blend, those two pretty well blend in with any area. But i also use a spray or two of Fitzgeralds deer dander on my boots when walking in and one spray at the base of my tree and it seems to help alot when the deer get right next to my tree ,the deer seem to not get as nervous and even had does lick and smell right where i sprayed it.

Boognish is offline Member Weekend Warrior
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use scent killer, and my own cover scent made from creek water and natural materials i gather from my hunting area.

aaron21 is offline Official LOF Clan Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    i use scent away spray, dead down wind laundry soap, scent away body soap. never had a problem.
    Hot coals and fresh straps! Not much better!!
    TEAM 28

:

Carl77 is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Scent-a-way all the way, here. I just pay special attention to the bottoms of my boots, my boots and my pants. Also areas where your body protrudes from your clothing. i.e.-wrists, neck, etc... Just because thats where your own scent escapes from
    Fred Bear Lights Out
    31" Draw 70 lb. pull
    Trophy Ridge Hawk Eye Sight
    QAD HDX Ultra-rest
    Trophy Ridge Six Shooter Quiver
    Trophy Ridge ShockStop Stabilizer
    Limbsaver Split Limb Dampeners
    Beman ICS Hunters w/blazers
    G5 T3's (2)
    Muzzy MX-3's (3)
    Tru-Fire Release

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of man kind"- Fred Bear