indynotch50 is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Irish Setter Rutmaster Boots

I was finally able to make it to bass pro and cash in some gift cards. I've been looking at new boots for quite some time an thanks to some family property down that way, it was a fantastic excuse to pick them up.

I've been looking at new boots since mid deer season, just never did find the funds at the time. My brother picked up a pair of mucks. They're great boots with great reviews, but I've never been that much of a fan. The under armour boots are nice but they are not insulated and according to the customer service people I talked to, they have no plans to manufacture any.

This all brings me back to the rutmasters. They were my favorite since day one but didn't want to jump to conclusions.

Well all that said... I love these things. They performed awesome. They are 800 grains so come winter time they should be just fine with 2 pair of socks. It's warm enough outside that I only wore 1 pair of regular socks, I like soccer socks actually as they are tall and wicking, plus I have a ton.
    They terrain I was in was muddy, with steep hills, and a rockbed creek (I wish I had pictures of that thinking about it). The boots performed great. They kept fantastic traction. My feet were warm but not sweating. The soles were comfortable. I would wear them all time if I could lol.
    Mathews Z7 Xtreme
    AXT Driver 4 Pin
    AXT Carbon Triad Stabilizer
    AXT Carbon Helix Quiver
    Ripcord SOS Rest
    FirstString Red/Black/Halo
    Bloodsport String Stop
    Carbon Express Maxima Red 350

Ben/PA is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm curious as to how the hold up over time. I've beat my mucks and they've done well. I'm really considering switching for some reason.

BJE80 is offline Senior Member Legendary Woodsman
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've had very very very very very good luck with my Irish Setters holding up over the long term. Red Wing makes some pretty good stuff. I've always been very happy and I think their value is hard to beat.

There is no off-season to bowhunting.

Beer is proof god loves us.

Brad

Dogfish is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whats the sole of the shoe like? I dont care for one's that are hord like a brick i like a soft sole boot

indynotch50 is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    They're soft. I don't like them hard either.

Brad brings up a good point. The boots are made by red wing who is one of the top manufacturers of work boots.
    Mathews Z7 Xtreme
    AXT Driver 4 Pin
    AXT Carbon Triad Stabilizer
    AXT Carbon Helix Quiver
    Ripcord SOS Rest
    FirstString Red/Black/Halo
    Bloodsport String Stop
    Carbon Express Maxima Red 350

SharpEyeSam is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am buying a pair in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the info.
    Mathews Z7 Magnum/Totally Lost Creed 29"/70lbs.
    HHA DS-5519 Sights
    2013 QAD Ultra Rest HDX Right Hand, Lost Camo and Red
    Easton Full Metal Jacket (Lost Camo)
    Nockturnal X-Nocks (Red), Nockturnal (Green)
    Mathews T5 Quivers
    Axion 5 in. Stabilizers, Lost Camo
    Rage Extreme and Hypodermic Broadheads
    Nikon Archer's Choice Rangefinder

DLC Covert Pro staff

2013, 2014 GTG Attendee
    2013 GTG Long Haul Award

Rick James is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a pair of the Rutmaster 1200's and a pair of the Muck Woody Max's. The Rutmaster's are a better built boot IMHO than the Woody Max's but are a lot heavier. We do a lot of driving where I hunt up north, and typically put on literally 60-80 miles a season according to the GPS, and the Muck's end up with holes in the lower part of the boot in about 2 seasons. We have 16 guys in camp and probably 10+ of them have Muck's and it's pretty common there to get two seasons before they are leaking from a stick that poked through that lower part of the boot.

With that said, I continue to hunt with the Muck's when I'm up north and covering lots of ground due to weight, I use the Rutmasters when I'm sitting and it's cold out or when I'm ice fishing. A couple of the guys at camp got the Woody Elite's last year and they aren't so soft on the bottom part of the boot and will likely last a bit longer, but none of them have had them long enough to prove that theory yet.
    ~Matt

Indiana Hunter is offline Senior Member Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did not know the Irish Setter's were made by Red Wing. That in itself is a good reason to look into the boots. Red wing makes the best work boots in my opinion. The next time I need cold weather boots I will look into the Rutmasters.

Hope they do good for you Chris Thanks for the write up.
    Mathews Z7
    Vital Gear Single Pin Adjustable
    NAP Apache Drop Away
    Carbon Epress Maxima 350
    Any NAP head will do
    Eric