Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

ATV Food Plot Equipment - Plotmaster?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by BJE80, Dec 21, 2011.

1. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm starting to do some research on food plot equipment for our land. I'm pretty much set on getting a John Deere 625i XUV. What equipment for tilling/plowing, planting, dragging, etc. do you suggest?

I saw this Plotmaster. http://www.foodplots.com/pages/food-plots/atv-accessories/plotmaster

How do these work?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or:

Tell me what equipment I should be looking into.

I will likely have 2-4 seperate ~1/2 acre food plots. Soils are clay.

Thanks.

2. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Though the Plotmaster is nice, I don't think I would want all my implements in one unit. Especially for the price you can get them all separate for.

Here are the tools I would get:

First, a chemical sprayer, such as this Fimco boomless. $399 I'm sure one is made that will fit your UTV.

[​IMG]

For a disc, we used a Sodbuster by Antler King this year. $2400 new. I think. You could get a cheaper one, but you would probably also need to add some weight to it. We are also doing heavy clay.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Agri-Fab tow behind lime and fertilizer spreader. $220

[​IMG]

Seed Spreader such as this.....$33

Follow this link.

Finally, a drag. $270

Follow this link to drag.

The only problem with the drag and heavy clay is, you have to use it when its really dry, or else it will just roll big chunks of soil on top of your seeds. We actually didn't even use the drag on most of the plots.

So, for $3322 (with the more expensive disc) you can have all the things you need and not have to drag one entire unit around each time you want to do something different.

3. badgerboi21

badgerboi21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was looking into the Kolpin dirtworks system but I'm fairly new to food plots as well. Has anyone used this system?

4. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    we tested out the plot master and if you have a nice level field or plot and free of rocks it is the way to go...however any sidehill..rocky or woody clumpy hard etc less than ideal planting area I wouldn't waste my money...side slope=seed to one side...rocks and also uneven hard ground means uneven spread of seed...also no tight turns and the disks are kind of light duty - so go with a 2 or 3 implement system...disc, spreader(seed or fert..), rake or drag. If you can afford a seed drill go with a 4 implement system and use the rake for prep/clean up.

5. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What Dan said. I'd look into Kolpin Dirtworks series. I wouldn't buy that all in one setup. I've fabricated everything I've needed and found the rest at a used farm equipment yard for the rest.

6. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A section of a pull behind spring tooth harrows will go miles. I use mine to break up what I plow, work in lime and seed, and cover seed.

7. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of soil are you working with Ben?

My concern with the Kolpin stuff is the heavy clay. Brad's land isn't too far from mine and I have the same heavy clay. Also, because he's going to be using a UTV to pull everything, I don't know that a spring tooth harrow will work that well in the heavy clay.

I could be wrong for sure though.

8. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Great topic. First off, if you really wanna put in a good plot, weight and strength will stand out when planning to purchase small implements designed for 4 wheeler applications. You mentioned clay soil, very tough heavy clumpy ground can be hard to turn with small light equipment but I can offer my 2 cents.

The past few years, I have been planting plots for wildlife and have had some success in doing so. I own my own Polaris 800 efi 4 wheeler which offers the hp and weight you need to get small plots in. I have used the Antler King Plotmaster and the Loyal (red colored) plow. In my opinion the Loyal is a little better and much cheaper.

I have a small boomless sprayer (10 gal I believe) that mounts on the back of the UTV. You can also use hand sprayers or a sprayer that mounts on your back for smaller plots to cut costs.

I would look into a lawn roller or drag system that pulls behind the UTV. In almost all applications, the seed does best just under the soil. Often times I have noticed while using a drag that you can actually collect the seed you previously spread on the edges of the plot where you would normally be turning. We have played with a few different options and lately we have been using a lawn roller and pressing the seed into the soil. Its worked out so far.

As for a seeder. I have seen people use a pull behind broadcast seeder, small grain drill, and just hand throwing. I like just using a cheap handheld seeder that I can actually watch the seed disburse as I walk.

If you are planting clover mix plots, you will need to mow them. A pull behind rough cut mower will do the trick as well as a normal lawn mower if your plot isnt too big. You could always use a brush hog behind a tractor or I also borrowed a neighbors brush hog for the front of a skid loader.

For my plots, which are 1/2 acre or less, small implements work well for me. In my area, the soil is very fertile with some clay. If all the costs upfront are a little overwhelming, there are most likely places in your area that will rent out equipment for 1/2 day or longer. Its always an option. Good luck and let us know what you decided to do!

Attached Files:

9. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I run a small 2 bottom plow or a large one bottom before I use the harrow. I never had much luck with a disc unless it was wet or wet bare earth.

10. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    yeah we have a small and a medium utility tractor to work with, though some plots are done with 4wlrs and we hoped the plotmaster could work trails for grouse hunting...we've got hard clay and gravelly mix here.

11. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Virgin ground is really hard to do with a wheeler and a disc. Maybe rent or hire someone the 1st year then get a disc for your wheeler. I also use a hand seeder and never use a drag. I use a watering system for right after seeding or plan my seeding before or during a good soaking rain. I also have never used a sprayer or roundup just mow it short and till it up then wait a week and till it up again kills the weeds and roots really well. My hot rod is . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also mow my yard with it :D

12. gutone4me

Dislikes Received:
    If you have a tractor already just get a tiller and be done with it.

13. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    It definitely can be. We broke plenty of virgin ground last year with the Sodbuster, but we found the key was to remove all vegetation first and then it still took a lot of passes to get it turned up good.

14. gutone4me

Dislikes Received:
    Oh It can be done. Were your arms sore ? ? Been there done that ! Figure 8's work best

15. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    No, but my nephew's and cousin's were! ;)

Yes, figure 8's and small circles work the best.

16. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I plan on having the ground worked with a tractor first. This tilling will be for subsequent years.

This is all great info guys.

Where do you suggest puchasing this equipment. A local place or on-line somewhere?

17. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Your local Farm and Fleet, (Fleet Farm in your area :D) will carry pretty much everything listed. I also really like Trevor's suggestion on the Loyal disc. It looks well built and less than half the price of a new Sodbuster. We're also going to be in the market for a new disc next spring and this looks like the one we will buy. http://www.loyal-roth.com/Multi_Use6.html Thanks Trevor!

Are the areas you plan on putting in plots already existing open areas, or are you planning on clearing trees? What kind of tractor will be doing the initial work?

18. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Sounds good. I will have to check that out.

Are the areas you plan on putting in plots already existing open areas, or are you planning on clearing trees? What kind of tractor will be doing the initial work?[/QUOTE]

Sent you a PM regarding this.

19. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  20. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have some more questions.

How long does it take to hand seed a 1/2 acre plot?

Do you lightly disc in the seed instead of using a drag?

How would using a disc and a drag work for trail maintenance? I'd rather not buy a mower just because that is just something else I have to buy, maintain and find a place to store. I would think if I discs the main trails and then ran over them with a drag that would keep the trails nice and groomed? Just looking to keep the weeds down so they are easily walk able for the family.