Built a paper tuning frame from PVC yesterday

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by alaska at heart, Jun 24, 2016.

1. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was very blessed to have a nephew who lived fairly close who is an excellent bow tuner. Since returning to compounds in 2010 from 3 decades of trad archery, he has been very generous in helping me change strings, limbs, cams and getting things set back in order after the changes. However he recently accepted a new position and is moving out of state. Thus I suddenly found myself in the position of putting all those observed lessons into practice on my own gear......:jaw:

He always started tuning with a homemade paper tuner made from PVC, but his shop was in his basement so the unit was hinged to the ceiling. I shoot outside at home, so my paper tuning rig had to be free-standing. So the other night I Goggled "Archery paper tuning frames" and checked out ideas. Yesterday I visited the local Lowe's and decided upon 3/4" PVC as it was more stout than 1/2" but not a bulky and expensive as 1". I bought 2-10' sections of 3/4" PVC, 2-90* L's, and 4-T's......plus 4 spring clamps to hold the paper. Using a sketch I made of the version I wanted to emulate from Google, it took me about 20 minutes at my workplace to measure, cut and assemble the rig.....some of which was deciding upon the final height. Instead of gluing the joints, I left them press fit so it could be taken apart for transport home and anywhere else so desire.

When I got home, I set it up and cut a section of 24" wide plotter paper that I had been given. Then it was simple haul out to my backstop and the test shooting began. Overall it cost me $25, but nearly half of that was the four spring clamps. Works like a charm......

2. blueicefire

blueicefire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same here, just used some PVC pipe that I had left over from building my house. Works great!!