Home made archery block

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by successful failure, Mar 9, 2016.

1. successful failure

successful failure Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was wondering if anyone have ever made a home made archery target made out of foam sheets like the block? It looks pretty simple...just foam sheets stacked together and pressed together real tight. Does anyone know what kind of foam to use?

2. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting. It looks like the same foam mats that we bought for our grandchildren's play room floor.

4. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, that's exactly what it is intended to be used for.

5. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Which way did he stack them?

6. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I made one out of 1.5" foam sheet that I swiped from our shipping dept at work. Cut them to the size I wanted then placed the same size piece of plywood on top and bottom and cinched it all together with a ratchet strap... It works OK has trouble stopping my bow without going to fletching and with a broadhead just forget it. Zips thru like it isn't even there. BUT I just put my shot up field point target about 6"- 8" behind it so the foam block slows the arrow and the second old target insures I don't blast thru or tear up arrows. Works real well that way and allows me to shoot my BH's. It stops my wife and kids' bows just fine and hell... it was free

7. blueicefire

blueicefire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go here: LELANITE CORPORATION and get the 2"x24"x108" 4# white sheets. about 70 bucks each sheet. Cut them in half or 24" blocks and stack. You'll be good then. This is what we use at my club, last for ever.

8. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most of the time finding the foam is the hardest part. If you know some one who does flooring get old carpet from them and cut into pieces the size you want your target to be, then stack to the height. Put a board under the bottom and on top the same size of close to it and compress with ratchet straps. Easy and usually cheap as many places will just give you the carpet to get rid of it.

9. nwmono

nwmono Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_20160309_181440.jpg [ATT

ACH=CONFIG]66603[/ATTACH]

Got the idea for this off of another forum.

Attached Files:

10. Jchal3

Jchal3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've done quite a few of these. I have also made a couple larger ones.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  11. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go to TSC (Tractor Supply Co) and get two bales of compressed straw in the clear bag not the green bag. Green bag is alfalfa. Cut a Pringles can in half and spray 5 circles in the pattern of a 5-spot. Easy arrow removal, will not penetrate. Not really a BH target but my buddy and I bought two bales apiece and easily have 1500 arrows in his and about 800 in mine. Can't even tell they've been shot. My son tends to always aim at the center dot and my buddy and I went out and shot it a few minutes ago in the center and still doesn't fully penetrate.

Keep the lid of the can to keep any drippage at bay and you can reuse that can for touch up when the black gets grayish. Can't beat $24 counting sales tax.

Our coach buys these $200 apiece targets that are 2'W and about 5' tall. We went for a lesson back in Feb after he built his indoor range and they were wrapping bags around this compressed straw. We looked at each other and bought two apiece the next day. LOL!

12. Wisconsin Buckwatch

Wisconsin Buckwatch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I purchased some straw for planting grass and i was really impressed by how compressed it was and thought i could probably use that as a target. I think i'll go get another and try it out.

13. joe_bow

joe_bow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  14. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That link to TSC doesn't look like the packaging mine came in. Mine was a bare bones with no handle, they are 50# apiece though. Hopefully it's not a regional thing. I took a pic of mine just a second ago and if you look up close you can see just how tight and compressed it is. I cut the bottom off a pringles can and just spray painted inside it. Since I originally posted about this, these targets easily have 12-1300 arrows in them. Between me and my son and sometimes my buddy is here and sometimes I go to his house, but they get shot a lot.

Attached Files:

15. Time2Panic

Time2Panic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    one of the ranges I shoot at uses what looks like 2'X4' ceiling tiles. I have contemplated going that route for home

16. blueicefire

blueicefire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pictures?? Rather interested in this..

17. alan71225

alan71225 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    what did you use to make this target? It looks like thin foam, but I can't tell for sure.

18. dbow

dbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How did you make this?

19. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Do you store this outside? Tarp it?

20. bobbyh

bobbyh Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've never made them out of foam, I use clothes i get from local thrift stores that they are just going to throw away, remove buttons, and zippers, then pack them either in a cardboard box or build a frame to keep them in place. works great, never a pass thru with my 70lbs, lol in fact my first test was from 10 yds away and arrow actually bounced off, so had to remove some clothes since it was packed to tight. The 2 you see that are nice and pretty came from another site which I used as my template, just wanted something bigger and more than just dots to shoot at. target1.jpg target2.jpg target3.jpg target4.jpg target5.jpg target6.jpg