Best tanning methods?

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by Joe Collins, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Joe Collins

Joe Collins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all, it's a bit premature of me to be asking this since this will be my first bow season hunting and it's not even hunting season yet, so I'm not even sure I'll get one. But I'd like to study up on this well before I actually get my hands on a pelt. so I'm not scrambling for info when/if the time does come.

So I've been reading up on all these methods on how to flesh and tan a hide. It seems there are tons of different styles and variations on how to do it. Not so much with the fleshing, though. It seems that process is pretty straight forward, with the only variation I've read of being that some people thin the hide out a bit as opposed to just fleshing it so that it comes out a bit softer at the end. Aside from that, the only variations I've read about have been regarding which implements to use(knife, wire brush, stone, etc)

Anyway, I had my hands on a pelt yesterday at the county fair and the both the skin side and the fur side felt incredibly soft. My goal is to get it as soft as possible so that I can use it as clothing or a blanket.(I believe it's called Buckskin).I'd like to keep the fur/hair on it. I realize if I'm to do this myself it's going to take a lot of effort stretching and working it.

What methods would ya'll recommend for the softest end result?
    Salt or no salt?
    Brains or home made mixture?
    Do any of you guys tan your own hides, or do you just send it out and have it done by a professional?

If sending it out is the cheapest/best way to get a super nice pelt then I'm not opposed to that. However, if I can save a few bucks and do it myself I'd prefer to do it that way.

Thanks in advance!

-Joe

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  2. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've had my hides professional tanned. last one I took to a local taxidermist who fleshed it then sent it out for tanning. cost about 80 bucks as I recall. As a kid I helped a raccoon hunter scrape hides before stretching and the tool used was not unlike a small hoe blade that we scraped the hide down with. would think you could buy one. The corners were rounded a little so they wouldn't tear the hide and we held the blade perpendicular to the hide when we scraped with it. If the hide means a lot to you, I'd have it professionally done. if not, then go ahead and mess with it. just my thought.

3. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    tried tanning my own hides once... screwed the hide up big time.. now I just take to the pros

4. Matr138920

Matr138920 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get the book called Deer skins into Buck skins by Matt Richards, it has just about every way you could tan a hide. Covers different ways from store bought to natural brain tanning, tools, jigs, and there is even a section on making clothes, bags, etc... also there is some comedy in it!

5. creed1

creed1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The wife likes to use the tanning bed, but I think a day in the Lund is the best method. :lol:

6. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tanning a deer hides is simple and fairly straightforward. I have been a Lutan F user up until this past year when I switched to Liqua Tan. Easier, faster, and a softer hide from the get go. The most important part of any tan is what happens between the time of kill and the actual tan. IF you are going to flesh and pickle immediately that's great, otherwise flesh completely and salt heavily with STOCK SALT. You must use non iodized salt, not table, not rock.... any feed supply store or co-op with have stock salt cheap by the bag. Salt and drain the hide, then salt again and you can let it dry if you'd like or go straight to pickle.

Pickle you will need, more salt, acid (safety acid / citric or similar) water and PH strips. Monitoring PH and keeping it within range is critical. Without a proper pickle the hide cannot accept the tan no matter what you use.

For further instruction check here, a quick search and some reading you will find everything ya need to know

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/board,11.0.html

After some time in the pickle you can shave the hide (not really necessary for what you want to do) but you will need a fleshing wheel of some kind.

Everything from that point will be dependant upon the tan you choose, basify and tan, allow to dry, maybe some oil depending on what tan you use, break / clean up etc......

PM me if ya have any questions, I'd type it all out in detail but I am lazy :)