Lone Wolf Climbing Stick Ropes

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by Heckler, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lone Wolf climbing stick ropes replacement for nylon straps with buckles.

Project Difficulty = Easy
    Experience Recommended = Intermediate / Expert

[​IMG]

Advantages: Quieter (No clanks from the buckles either in transit or setup.
    Easier to hang steps, you don't need 3 hands to position the strap, stick, and pull it tight.
    More cut and abrasive resistant.
    Possibly lighter...

Disadvantages:

Ropes are longer however more length is needed to tie off with the ropes vs. nylon strap.

Project Cost: $22

Purchased 30 ft.Muddy Outdoors Safe-Line on sale for 29.99 with a $10 coupon. (****s Sporting Goods) 1 rope will do four sticks, 3 if you hunt really big timber and need long ropes. This is the perfect rope as far as type and diameter. I buy the Muddy Safe-Lines because I can't buy the line in bulk cheaper.

1. Remove prusik knot from rope. (Keep this, you can buy another single Safe-Line, add this prusik and make a double Safe-Line saving you more money!

2. Measure in 4 piece identical length for fours sticks. I use electrical tape.
    Heat shears red hot and cut. Heat shrink and burn ends, You can dip the ends in plastic if you like.

3. Tie a loop with your prefered knot.. Bight, bowline, etc.... Try to make it small enough it takes some effort to slip on/off the Versa button. Alternately you can learn how to splice a loop on Youtube.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK . Don't do this if you are not an experienced treestand hunter /climber! I've used ropes in place of the straps for years.

To tie off go around the tree, over the top of the Versa button >Back across to the side you came over the top and secure with 1 or 2 half hitches. What ever you are comfortable with.

2. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks great!
    I think I am going to do this for two sticks when I buy some XOP climbing sticks. I like how you can had a little more length to the ropes so that you can get around a little bit bigger trees.
    Great pic!
    Here is a link to the video that I am going to follow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF8Yz9wMno4
    I love these diy stuff. Good luck brother.

3. ganderss2424

ganderss2424 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did the rope mod this year. Didn't like it as much as the buckles. I'll be throwing the original straps back on. Although the rope is lighter and less cumbersome than the buckles, It's ultimately louder when when you are climbing the tree because the rope doesn't grip the tree as good as the buckles. You get a lot more noise from the tree bark crackling while your sticks are gripping the tree. Also from my experience the ropes do not secure the steps to the tree as well as the buckles and straps. However to each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
  5. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would think you will get more stretch from rope making a greater likelihood of sticks slipping down the tree some when weight is applied. Also strapping is more weather tolerant than the rope if you keep them on the tree through the season.

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We use ropes primarily for run and gun sets that come with us.
    I have more issues with straps and buckles the rope that's for sure, broken and frozen buckles.