Scent Storage

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by POWERHAWK_11, Jul 30, 2014.

1. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have been watching Midwest Whitetail with Bill Winke and noticed that they store their hunting clothes in a container called a Scentmaster. I like the concept of the Scentmaster but didn't want to pay the price for one ($349.000 so I am going to make one. It is going to be 4' x 24" x 36". I am going to make it out of 7/16" plywood and line the inside with plastic. On the inside it will have a compartment for my boots on one side and a compartment for my clothes on the other. I am going to put two small dehumidifiers in the clothes side and one dehumidifier on the other. The dehumidifiers will pull out the moisture. I have not decided if I am going to put in some sort of heating unit to help the drying/deodorizing process yet. This is a picture of a concept that I drew on Autodesk Inventor...

[​IMG]

I will put some sort of rubber sealer around the outside edges so that when the lid shuts it becomes scent free. Here are the small dehumidifiers that I have found...

[​IMG]

Overall this is going to cost me around $50 to make. IMO it is a lot better than paying $350.

2. BlueSpruceOutfitters

BlueSpruceOutfitters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Let me know how it comes out! I'm using a Rubbermaid that's seals everything pretty right but would like another option. Looks like. Great idea.

3. charness0001

charness0001 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Neat idea, maybe on each attach another smaller box and you can add misc vegetation and sticks from your hunting area to sarurate your clothes. Put a screen between the two boxes ao the stuff ia not getting actually on your clothes. And maybe a trap door on bottom of smaller boxes for easy cleanup

4. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was going to put some Hunters Specialites fresh earth scent wafers in there to give it a good scent. Once I line it with plastic it should be pretty easy to sweep out.

5. Bowhunter171

Bowhunter171 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks great. Might be stealing this idea from you if it turns out well!

6. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a great idea!

7. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I lik ethe idea but I am worried about the plastic. I put my clothes in a giant ziplock and put several dirt wafers in. My closet smells like a hole in the ground. My wife complains about it but I like it. But that also means that scents have to be going through the plastic. Maybe a carbon filter on the outside from say a old biologic suit from army surplus. Or a small shelf to hold a box of Arm and Hammer baking soda to absorb orders?

8. aRroW_adDicted

aRroW_adDicted Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks great! What about using the rhino lining material that comes in a can as a way to seal the inside? Do you think that would have to much of a smell?

9. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

BOWHUNTANDLIVE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its a great idea....might I recommend NOT using plastic to line the box....I suggest cedar panels instead....you can forgo the scent wafers. Especially if you are using scent control products like scent blocker or scent lok.....those scent wafers will saturate the scent control properties of the articles and it wont be affective as blocking the real scent...yours...just sayin...good luck!!

10. FearNot

FearNot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice setup

11. Nissen121523

Nissen121523 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice! I want to build one just like this. How well does the dehumidifier work?

Do you have pictures of the final product?

12. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I always get dressed on site so the totes is the only way for me to stay sain and minimize transferring clothes from something like this to totes to truck bed to site to being put on. Great concept though and love it...could do this with some of my gear and not clothes.

13. srtiek

srtiek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    always used space bags. never had any issues and a whole lot cheaper than those "hunter sponsored" products they get paid to promote

14. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This year I went to a sealed rubber made bin. I put weather strip along the sides and lid to help seal out unwanted odors and also put hooks on the sides to keep in extra tight. Inside the tote I put activated charcoal.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a tool box mounted in the back of my truck . I leave my hunting stuff stored in it year round so they never pick up scent from the home or shop . I'll clean it out soon and wash all the clothes , spray all my gear , and then lock it all back in the box . Best advantage I've found to doing it this way , is that I never forget anything at home .

16. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are you going for a mobile unit? I am thinking with those dimensions your final product will be bulky and heavy. But I to have seen that and have wondered, but I stick with the rubbermaid container. Fits all my gear and is easy to throw in whatever vehicle we end up driving.

17. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would also look into getting a piano hinge, more durable and also more precise for sealing the unit when you finish it.

18. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So will cedar.....just sayin :D. Plastic lined, wood lined....I would simply make it as scent free as possible, especialy if you use any kind of carbon lined or activated clothing which will absorb/eliminate the scent molecules.

19. DVFD236

DVFD236 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks awesome! What program are you using for the 3d model?

20. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    this is what I do also. how often are you changing you carbon? I also wash my cloths with scent-lok laundry detergent then dip them in carbon synergy. leaves a little black film on you but I don't mind. next year I think I will be using all carbon synergy products.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014