switching from my compound to a crossbow

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by scrappy1722, Dec 7, 2015.

1. scrappy1722

scrappy1722 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hurt my shoulder and I am switching from my compound to a crossbow. What would be a good one for a novice crossbow user? I have never shot one before.

2. JMann11

JMann11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We use Horton, but they are no longer in business. 10 point bought them, I have never shot one but if they have the same quality as Horton, they are great bows. My dad has had his for about 7-8 years and it still shoots like its brand new.

3. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive got a Stryker 380. They make different models now but i love mine. Made by Bowtech. They are middle of road on price and perform with the top priced bows that cost literally twice as much. They also have a good speed/draw weight ratio

4. Killkenny

Killkenny Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can get 100's of personal opinions on different crossbows. The best is try as many bows as you can and you will know the one that fits you the best when you shoot it. Most shops will let you shoot their products they sell. All this a side I like my Mission XB320.

5. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had my Horton Yukon SL 150lb CB since 2002. I've taken 20 deer with it and have never once had an issue with it. Shoots tacks. I've put one new string on it. It was a gift to me when CB's became legal here in Pa.

6. j3cub

j3cub Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Before you decide to put your old bow in the closet, you may want to try a Draw-loc by Ceder Creek Archery in Mississippi. (find it by using the words: Draw-loc on your computer) The device is simple, attach to your bow riser with one or two screws. There are some simple set up directions which you should follow. Once you have it set up you draw your bow by putting your foot in the stirrup pull the string back with both hands, set the loop on the holder. Put your arrow on and you are ready to go. Shoot it like your normally did, only you don't have to hold the string back. Your sight pins will be slightly high (bow shoots low) because of the string angle, not because the set up is slower. So adjust your sight pins. The draw-loc is not that expensive, I think about a $150. Better than having to pay for a new crossbow and much lighter. 2012-03-04 12.02.38.jpg

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015