crossbow target for broadheads

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by remist17, Sep 21, 2016.

1. remist17

remist17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a crossbow shooting 300 fps. I use slick trick heads. What is a good bag that is under $80.
    Local stores have the following but I am not sure if they are ok with crossbows.
    -Block Invasion 16"
    -Morrell Yellow Jacket Supreme

2. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot into old carpet. I have it rolled up tight and tied with old rope. I keep a small roll in the back of the truck to unload into after hunting. Does not blow out and no one would steal it. Get it for free.

3. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why not remove the broad head and put a field point on?

4. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You need to practice with your bh and even with a fp most targets will not stop a bolt.

5. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So your saying that bh will fly and hit different than fp when they are the same weight? I have 3/4" weight room mats in front of 3/4 chip board. Never shot a bh at it but it does stop the fp. Warmer weather the point will penetrate. Below 20° the fp will bounce back about 6'. With a scope you can still see where the bolt is hitting along with a mark on the rubber mat.

6. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes! Broadheads will fly different from fieldpoints due to spine and FOC. A fixed broadhead will "steer " the shaft if the bolt's FOC is not around 15% or if total weight is to light. Spine choices are few in bolts but can be adjusted by "grains per inch " in the shaft and by total weight. Some try to compensate with mechanicals. This is true of x and v bows.

7. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't mean to disagree or argue with you, just trying to learn and understand what this is all about and why. My bh and fp weigh the same. I can switch the points on the bolt and have the same FOC within .5% which is right at 12.5% Total bolt weight is right at 23.5 grams. The reason I say right at is because I am using a dial scale till my digital arrives. Using the same aluminum bolts should eliminate any spine variance. I seems to me that the only way I can bring the FOC up is shorter vanes, longer bolts, or heavier bh &/or fp. 16" bolts is what my X bow came with so I am assuming that is what was recommended to be used in it. Most all vanes for bolts I have seen are 3 to 3.5" long. I looks like heavier points is about the only workable option to raise the FOC. Where is my thinking off base here? Appreciate your input and time on this.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  8. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can install brass inserts (if not already in bolt) or move up in point weight. To fine tune weight you can add small brass washers behind the point. If you can borrow some heavier points to test with will let you know the results without cost. Your bolts are about 365 grains... the crossbow manufacture should give you a minimum bolt weight. For my Barnett it is 450 grains... but at 525 grains the group really tightens up and noticeably quieter.
    Brass inserts are around 100 grains where aluminum are around 50 grains.

9. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I may try to put some brass inserts in the front end of the bolt. The ones in the aluminum bolts I have are a plastic type material. Have a bolt that is bowed slightly so will try removing the insert to get a size. The bh is have are not labeled as to the weight but I believe they are 125 grain by my dial gram scale, which is just under 8 grams. From what your using in a much higher quality bow I may need to get the over all weight up some. My have to go to longer bolts also but really don't know where I am going on that end. Will see what the brass inserts do. Thanks much for the info.

First, I removed the plastic insert from an aluminum bolt. Little heat and it melted up and came right out. ID of the bolt is 0.293. Not finding any inserts that are close. Either .300 or .274. Afraid a .300 will split the bolt or require machining to get it to fit. The .174 won't center.

Second, I went out and shot some bolts at the target. The 3 - 20" carbon bolts shot about 18" low and to the right. Two of the three aluminum bolts were about 4" apart but about 4" low at 30 yds from a rest. 3rd bolt has bad vanes. At this point if I can get the point of impact up another 4" at 30 yds, the 16" aluminum bolt with 125 grain 3 blade fixed BH will be the way I end up going. My not worry about brass inserts.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  10. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have to back up and regroup here. My target backstop which is 3/4" chip board with 3/4" weight room mats over it will not stop the never crossbow arrows. It did good on my inexpensive Xbow at but the new Jackal puts the fp right through everything with 5" sticking out the back. A real PITA to get out. Had to use a punch and hammer to drive them out after anchoring the mat to the wood backing. Now I have to get a better target that will stop these 300fps + arrows.