Shooting from Stand Vs From Ground

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by chieffan, Jan 14, 2017.

1. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have read several articals on the difference between stand shooting and ground shooting but they all referenced a standard bow. What about using a cross bow with a scope? Will the arrow hit higher than the point of aim? I would think it would as gravity would have the same effect on the arrow regardless of which bow it came from. Any thoughts on this?

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nope not like the bow in shooting from the tree stand with a crossbow, aim right on

3. Excalibur

Excalibur Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My crossbow hits the same point in the stand as it does on the ground.

Your friendly neighborhood Bow Hunter

4. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In fact you aim high from a tree no mater what you shoot.

5. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm reading some erroneous information here!

6. WELDO

WELDO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always sight my bows in at approximately the elevation I plan to hunt at! Practice using your range finder at different up, down and flat shooting distances you may have in the field. It is really important to know distance and your abilities with your bow. 3 D shoots are a great place for practice .

7. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    90% of the information posted on any web site is an opinion. Trick is to sort the logical information from the opinionated information. An expert is anyone that has a top coat and brief case and lives over 100 miles from you.

8. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well .. I didn't post an opinion. I usually post my experience and facts where they apply, very little opinion.

9. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Now as to your OP.. Gravity has the same effect on a bullet as an arrow. Sharp angles, up or down , will contribute to a higher impact than point of aim , period.

10. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Take a 18 inch square box. Put a 2 inch bull's eye on the outside in the middle. Blow up a balloon about the size of a baseball and tape it so it's suspended in the middle. Now set the box about 20 yards out and climb 20 feet up and shoot the box. If you shoot at the bull's eye and hit it dead center odds are you will not hit the balloon. On a deer this is a single lung shot. To pop the balloon (heart) you would have to aim higher on the box above the bull's eye. If you put the box up in the stand and stood on the ground and shot you would have to aim below the bull's eye to pop the balloon.

When shooting down hill shoot high and when shooting up hill aim low.

11. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    my belief and experience in archery has taught me this---aiming low or high is valuable with a hand held bow-- only because of the way the bow is held if you do not bend at the waist from a tree stand you will always hit high so years ago all were told to hold low from tree stand---when we learned to make sure to bend at the waste then we hit bullsyes with altering our aiming with a cross bow this does not come into play at all so up to 35 to 40 yards aim dead on Works for me !!

12. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Aim where you want impact.

13. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you shoot at the bull's eye and hit it dead center odds are you will not hit the balloon. On a deer this is a single lung shot. To pop the balloon (heart) you would have to aim higher on the box above the bull's eye.
    When shooting down hill shoot high and when shooting up hill aim low.[/QUOTE]

I was asking about hitting the point of aim - not what the arrow would or would not hit as it entered and exited the target. You are right on your statement as the deer does not tilt with the elevated shooter.

14. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The effect of gravity on a projectile is the drop due to time of flight. The faster the projectile, the less the drop. The effect of gravity is on the horizontal distance. That is where range finders with angle compensation come into play.

Bending at the waist cuts down on the angle and shortens the distance. Hard to bend at waist with a crossbow... you will test your harness.

So if a deer is standing 20 yards from the bottom of the stand and you are 16 ft up the range finder may read 21 yards. If you shoot at the bulls eye using the 20 yard pin it will hit where you aim. This is if the deer is level to the base of the tree. If they are down hill from the base of the tree the angle increases but the true distance remains the same. For hunters who climb 30 or 40 feet high like Masterhunter the angle increases and angle compensating range finders are more important. Faster the projectile less the effect. Because crossbows are a bit faster ... less the effect.

Point of aim is what I was talking about with the box. Practice from the stand shooting a box to pop the balloon. Point of aim is different from ground to elevated stands. Arrow drop is the same at 30 yards no matter if you are on the ground or 16 feet up.

15. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Regarding the original post , physics applies as to to the desired point of aim on angled shots. Disregarding physics can enable you to miss. I found a site that has great explaination: KINGSMOUNTAIN.ORG

Chief.. Your point of aim on steep angled shots should be below the " bullseye", uphill or downhill. I don't use a formula to figure the point of aim , I do my figuring in my yard when practicing. Physics will dispel some of the myths still being posted here. Check out that site!

16. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That web site is King's Mountain Archers

Very, very good information. Helps a bunch if your remember your math, actually algebra, from high school. You can just read over the formulas and let the explanation why they work soak in. Bottom line is: When shooting down, aim a little low. When shooting up, aim a little high. That is for where you want the arrow to hit, not where you want it to travel on through the target.

17. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You missed the uphill shot! , the diagram indicates you to use the 10 yard distance ( the horizontal), not the 20 yard distance ( the hypotenuse) , and the vertical being 17.3 yards

18. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your right, I typed that wrong. Have to aim low in both situation but since it is only 7', aim dead on.

19. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dead on with the 10 yard pin!!!!!! 7' is not in the example!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're on your own from here on out :- )

20. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It IS 7' in the downhill shot. 10 yd in the up hill shot. Go look.
    No pins on a Crossobow, only a scope.