Any advantages to the reverse limb crossbows?

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by pastorjim08, Jan 28, 2016.

1. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've been looking at crossbows recently, not because I'm thinking of switching real soon but I am 61. I have shot several different brands but one thing I didn't like about any of them was they all seem to be out of balance, or front heavy. I was looking at the reverse limb crossbows and it seemed they might be better balanced. Anyone shot these, and if so, what are your thoughts. Thanks all.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

2. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My neighbor bought a Barnett with reverse limbs. He also has a regular limb Barnett. I've shot both and the Reverse limb balanced much better to me. Now the reg. Limb xbow is the wider older type. Not the newer, more narrow limb xbows. Hope that helps...lol.

Sent from my SM-S820L

3. Tmpky

Tmpky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot both regular and reverse draw. It is true that the reverse draw is more centered weight and easier to handle. Although they are still heavy. I personally just picked up an inline vertical Crossbow by Hickory Creek. If you do a youtube search on it you can find it. I'm looking forward to taken down a turkey with it come this spring!

4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the reply. I looked at the hickory creek crossbow and it looks like a really cool idea. It still looks like it would be front heavy though.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

5. Tmpky

Tmpky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Actually it is pretty balanced because you hold on with both hands in the vertical position. Only thing is the 150 lbs pull is a bit but you can get a crank for it. I have to wear gloves cause it will eat your hands hands up.

6. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  7. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I own a Scorpyd reverse draw crossbow the original hyper speed RDT 165. I have a Vortex crossbow scope for it & it's sweat set up.

I've also gone all out to damp it against vibrations & noise, this cost me about 5 fps, but worth it to me to reduce vibration to almost nothing & sound to about 1/3 of undampened.

This is a amazingly accurate set up out to 80 yds. I can shoot under 3" all day at 80 yds in calm conditions & if I'm having a good day the bow will hold around 2". This is with custom arrows matched for spine, straightness & weight. I don't shoot that far hunting, but enjoy shooting longer distances just to better adjust the nut on the rear stock.

BUT, there is one down side to my set up.....weight. With all the dampener things, scope & sling it weighs almost 11 lbs. Newer Scorpyd models are noticeably lighter, but I'll just stay with my bow for what it would cost to buy one of the new Xtremes they've got out.

8. Darin

Darin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the newer extreme model. Vent 175. These RDT bows are flawless and smooth shooters. At 450 fps and 173lbs of kinetic..how can ya go wrong? I enjoy practicing with it.

9. ZXTMike

ZXTMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Jim,

I have a Horton Storm RDX. As everyone says, much more balanced than forward draw bows, fast, still heavy, though compared toa vertical bow. I bought mine due to torn up shoulders. I also have the AccuDraw on mine. Absolutely love it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  10. ETABNT

ETABNT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Reverse limb Xbows are 100000000000000000000000 times more quiet than the standard design. those big cams and stressed limbs work well to eliminate alot of the DOINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG you get from the exterior limb design.

11. austinpelot

austinpelot Newb

Dislikes Received:
    A crossbow is fast enough that it really doesn't matter they are crazy machines.

12. Buck-1

Buck-1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I like my Scorpyd reverse draw RDT-165 it is balanced. I can put my sling over my head and right arm and stock under my right arm and it sits in front of me ready to shoot. Just lift it up 4" to my eye while I am still hunting. When in the stand it is still nice to have a shooting rest.

13. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They look funny but balance is better and they are often more narrow with a good power stroke. Other than that it is just a matter of which one you like best. Rope cocking aid or crank makes it more fun to shoot.