Best Crossbow for the Money

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by Lake Country Bowhunter, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Lake Country Bowhunter

Lake Country Bowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Recently I have had injuries that created a situation where pulling back a traditional bow and holding it more than a few seconds is almost impossible. Crossbows have flooded the market the past several years, and you can find them from $300-$1500, with many differences that it is hard to keep track. I am just looking to see if I can get a little direction for a lower cost, but great shooting crossbow. I do not need a Vortex scope that costs more then my truck, but I do need to be accurate... any recommendations?

Please keep in mind the following:

Accuracy to 50 yards
    Weight - shoulders have issues when holding a lot of weight up
    ground hunting with stabilizer as well as from a tree stand
    That company name does not matter, but quality does...
    Will last me at least 10 years

Thanks all!

2. Sirwill

Sirwill Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Excalibur... Nuff said

3. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I only know what I have purchased. I picked the Barnett Ghost 385. Was a bit on the expensive side for my budget however, I bought it for my dad. I liked that the weight was balanced and not front heavy. Makes it nice to shoulder. Coupled with the speed and KE ratings, it was a solid buy.

I had to replace the scope with a Nikon Bolt since both my dad and I disliked the one shipped with it. We hated a lighted reticle and the evening visibility was poor. The Bolt is really clear and sharp at dusk.

I'm not a big fan of the quiver setup. Not sure if others are better however, we carry the quiver in our backpacks most of the time now.

I have hunted with it several times and enjoy it. Feels like it should last a long time.

After seeing my cousins Excalibur and the lack of moving parts....I would also consider that. Something about the simple design and maintenance that rubs me the right way. No complaints though on the Ghost after two seasons.

4. GeneticWeapon

GeneticWeapon Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If you don't mind broken limbs and warranty parts ruining your hunting season, I guess Excalibur would be a good choice?

There's a reason why every crossbow hunter I come across in real life is shooting TenPoint, it's because they build the highest quality crossbows a man can buy.

5. Sirwill

Sirwill Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Go to any local pro archery shop, ask them when was the last time a Excalibur came in with a broken limb or for any repairs for that matter... Also, everyone knows that Excalibur has the best customer service and warranty of any bow company... Does the TenPoint company offer a LIFETIME warranty on their bows covering every part of the bow other then the string/scope? Excalibur does for a simple reason, they are bulletproof...

6. Sirwill

Sirwill Newb

Dislikes Received:
  7. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bear Archery has entered into the crossbow arena....they have some interesting bows...

8. davydave86

davydave86 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Check out killer instinct crossbows. They are new to the game but I've had great luck with mine

9. Hoytee-Toytee

Hoytee-Toytee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would look into the Parker line...especially the Parker Thunderhawk. Smooth, quiet, and dead on accurate. Lifetime parts and warranty, and made in the USA. I really like mine. I have held most of the other Xbows for comparison, and I took the Thunderhawk for what I thought was better quality and price point........ Two deer are now in the freezer. One via me, and one my girl. :)

Rightsideup Xbow.jpg Babe Xbow.jpg

Parker is an offshoot of Bear archery I guess.

:):):):)

10. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Iv'e shot a couple of the Mission MXB series crossbows and really liked them but, that may be the Mathews in me talking...Ive also shot a Ten-Point and felt it was really nice. I don't own a x-bow but these two would be my choice.

11. jaydon691

jaydon691 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I own both a Tenpoint Shadow Ultra Lite and a Mission MXB 400. They are both great crossbows but will say the Mission is much better in my opinion. Better balance, much faster, hits much harder and is crazy accurate. Remember, you get what you pay for. I just sold my Tenpoint and I am considering selling my MXB400. Make me an offer if interested.

12. baitcaster

baitcaster Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a MXB320, it's lite and will put one bolt on top of the other one, you change cables/strings yourself, I'm going to get a Mission sniper lite also for the same reason, but go to a archery shop and shoot all you can and then get one you like the best

13. John The Hunter

John The Hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This is like asking "what's the best underwear" . . . you won't be able to decide based on the posts. Go shoot some Xbows.

Sirwill likes this.
  14. dmax4me

dmax4me Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Stryker Solution or Katana.

15. crossbowhunter

crossbowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Excalibur is awesome, so is the Stryker Solution.

16. Rugger

Rugger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Best bow for the money? Sniper 370 easily.

rsf31tmp likes this.
  17. Survival.Leroy1989

Survival.Leroy1989 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    woah!
    I'm also interested in this problem

18. short69

short69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a PSE Fang and mounted a HHA dial scope mount on it with the Redhead 3-9x40 off my CVA. It shoots bullets out to 80 yards. Worth checking out.