Getting dad back in the woods for archery

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by atlasman, Apr 1, 2014.

1. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know it's probably been asked 50 times but I really don't know anything about crossbows. NY will be letting guys in the woods this year with them so dad finally gets to hunt archery season with his boys again :)

He's a little taken back by the cost for a weapon he can only use for a couple weeks (so I hear) but cost really isn't a concern as we will get one for him.

I can find brands like Scorpyd, Mission, Parker, Bowtech etc.......what I really would like is specific models if possible.

Dad had surgery on his neck so loading/unloading is IMPORTANT.......the easier the better of course.

Any and all help is appreciated as always.

2. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would love to see some responses as my dad will join us with a crossbow and give up his gun as archery season is much warmer. He has circulation issues which makes him cold all the time....

Come on, Crossbow guys and gals!

3. Redmag

Redmag Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I can't speak to a lot of xbows as I am new to them myself. I did start last year when I bought a used Excalibur Vixen. I am not really hurting of shoulders or anything like that so it cocks easy to me at 175 lbs and I can easily uncock it. I would suggest that you call Wyvern Creations and talk with them. They sell several brands and according to comments on here and at Crossbow Nation (a dedicated xbow site) they will honesty sell to you the best product for you. They were very helpful when I needed bolts and a backup string. I think he will like the xbow once he gets into it. I still shoot my compound the majority but it is fun to take the xbow once in awhile. Good Luck.

4. garyalarson

garyalarson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I can only speak to my crossbow, which is a Barnett Recruit Compound Crossbow ($299) - It's only 130lb draw, and throws bolts at 300FPS, plenty enough to kill a whitetail. It's very easy to handle and comes with a cocking rope, which will reduce the pull to about 65lbs. But it has an area on the stock to insert a cocking device, that you simply wind up and it only takes about 2-3 lbs of force to cock the device. Keep in mind that the $299 includes everything you need to start shooting. The Recruit was originally designed for "youth" but once it pumped out 300FPS, adults jumped all over it. Me and my 11-year old daughter will be using it this season. Good luck!

5. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ten Point's with Accu-Draw (crank handle) is the way to go. You can find one for under $1000 new which in the world of regular bows is actually not that bad these days. As for unloading, we shoot it out into a target or ground with a field tipped bolt. That's likely the safest way.

6. Turkeysniper511

Turkeysniper511 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My dad bought the barnett quad400 and its fast like 340 or something like that and he got it under 400. Im pretty sure you can find thses at walmarts too or at least ours you can. But sounds awsome he can get into it better now!

7. spec

spec Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Chiming in late as usual
    I'm a fan of Barnett I had an older Predator Pre-CRT models. It was a Rock solid ,Accurate Bow.. Sold it a couple of years ago
    When Barnett Came out the the CRT series, I was looking at ten point, PSE,and Parker I suffer from aggravated A.S. so all my joints are shot to hell Back, shoulders, and hands are the worst Weight and weight distribution are key factors for me...I hefted the BCX when it fist came out The dealers price of $800 made my cheeks pucker...Research had shining reviews and Horror stories...I found mine for just over $600 and had it outfitted: sling, case, extra bolts for around $725 It's fast, well balanced, accurate, narrow, Really nice and crisp trigger, I have over 100 shots down range with no signs of wear but I wax religiously
    DSCF1423.jpg