Discharging your crossbow at the end of the day.

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by Neophyte, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Neophyte

Neophyte Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm new to crossbows. So when I was getting my gear together I bought a little "discharge" bag for shooting/uncocking a cocked crossbow.

It's about a foot wide, maybe two feet tall, and bright yellow in color. Where I hunt, I park my truck, walk in maybe a quarter mile (it's privately owned land), cock and load, etc.

So at the end of the day, I take out the broadhead arrow and replace it with a field point, walk back to the truck, and discharge the arrow into the discharge bag.

Assuming your crossbow has no feature which allows you to decock it, what do you do?

I read somewhere where some guys have "dirt" arrows, viz. arrows for the sole purpose of shooting into the ground. In cases where the ground is frozen, I'd imagine there are a bunch of broken arrows out there.

2. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep my buddy just has a seperate arrow he shoots into the ground after our hunts

3. Jrealmuto1

Jrealmuto1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    They make a discharging arrow for that reason. Walmart had them during season.

-Jeremy Realmuto-

4. celticwolf210

celticwolf210 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I carry a discharge arrow in my quiver when I go hunting. I keep a discharge target in my truck for when I come out of the woods when I can. I also keep a pack of CUBS(Crossbow Unloading Bolts) in my pack for those "just in case" moments. They work pretty good. One time use.

5. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot it into the ground as well for the most part. Just have to make sure the ground isn't frozen, rocks or tree roots. If any apply then I usually have my block target in the back of the truck anyways.

6. Crossbow Joe

Crossbow Joe Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I usually shot an arrow with a field point into a block target that I keep in the back of the truck.

7. myot

myot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    On an Excaliber we just use the cocking aid to let the string down after the trigger is depressed

Dan

8. str8shooter

str8shooter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For me I just use a field point non hunting arrow at a long distance patch of scrub etc. That or help the squirrel population with a judo point. To be honest though, in my area here in Texas there is rarely a time I can't shoot at either a hog, deer, rabbit or some such to need a discharge arrow.
    High class problem I know.

9. Brucifer

Brucifer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use an Octane thug decocting bolt. They last longer than any other decocking bolt and do not cost a lot.

10. spec

spec Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I Keep a 50# onion bag stuffed with old blue jeans.
    It stops the bolts dead at point blank range
    Here's an example I had to replace the A.R.S. on my BXC To adjust it you have to have it cocked and a bolt in it
    I shot this one in my living room 365fps 118#
    DSCF1446.jpg

11. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I keep a old bolt with a field point in my quiver to discharge BEFORE I leave the spot I am hunting. IMO - Taking it back to the truck cocked spells disaster if you ask me. Only time I have ever exploded a bolt is hunting rocky areas.

12. spec

spec Newb

Dislikes Received:
    How Is that?
    I don't understand the statement...Maybe a little dense today
    I should clarify That being a Gimp I'm never more than 100 yards from my truck and hunt on private land

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  13. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Although most crossbows have a dry fire technology built into them I just don't trust them. A discharge with the x-bow slung over my back sounds like a bad ending to a day in the field. That and I don't have to be conscious of how I am caring it if in hand. I'd probably discharge it at the truck if I was only hunting a 100 yards away. That said I would keep a Rinehart Discharge ball or a 18-1 in my vehicle.

I've seen enough images and videos of X-bow accidents to be a little extra cautious. Quite honestly they make me a little nervous and I have been around tons of weapons all my life.

14. spec

spec Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ahhh Gotcha.
    Makes good sense to me now. I hear ya on the horror stories
    Just the other day I was changing out the A.R.S on mine...and setting the pressure on it your fingers,and face are in the line of fire on the cocked and loaded weapon...sighting for no lift at the front of the bolt...Hard to describe the feeling of dread staring down the barrel of a loaded weapon
    I've too been around "reach out and touch some one equipment" Born into it and adjusting that ARS scares the hell outa me

15. FearNot

FearNot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would think it would be easy to have a target in my truck to discharge with a field point. I'm thinking of a 4 bolt quiver for my first Xbow with 4 broad heads. Not carrying a target bolt in my quiver is my plan.