what to buy

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by adrenaline_attack28, Nov 12, 2013.

1. adrenaline_attack28

adrenaline_attack28 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Me and my wife are thinking about buying some crossbows I'm a compound guy myself so I know nothing about them..what would be a good bow for me and her I would like to get both under a 1000 if possible thanks

2. Blackwater Park Bowhunter

Blackwater Park Bowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Mission....(A Mathews. product)....can't go wrong...q

3. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Look at PSE and barnett line

4. Southpaw

Southpaw Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I guess the question that comes to mind is what is your intent. If its hunting- they all have high and low points.

A compound crossbow of any manufacturer, is usually compact and great for speed but if your in a pinch out in the field and clip your string with an arrow hunt is over until you hit the local pro shop.

However, If you pick a recurve crossbow like a Excalibur like the one I got you can restring it in minutes and its game on :)

However my crossbow is a little on the big side which is no big deal if your blind hunting but can be awkward at times when hunting from my self climber tree stand.

So my advice is research it together with your wife and figure out the applications surrounding the choice for crossbows first then start shopping based on what it is that best suits you and your wife.

...and don't fall for the fan boy hype- based on what may be the latest and greatest
    it just may not be the best choices for you guys. Lastly crossbows are great and alot of fun so its worth putting the time in to find the right choices.

5. chrisb

chrisb Newb

Dislikes Received:
    With the budget of $1000, you have a lot of great crossbows to choose from

But, I'll not recommend a random crossbow to you, but give you the basic principal about how to choose a crossbow

Generally speaking, crossbow has 9 specs you should take into consideration:

1.Type
    There are two main types of crossbows: the recurve crossbow and the compound crossbow.

2.Speed
    speed.jpg
    The speed, or velocity, measurement of a crossbow refers to the rate at which an arrow is fired from the bow in feet per second (fps). Speed is the byproduct of a few factors including the crossbow’s draw weight, power stroke, and the weight of the arrow.

3.Draw weight
    Draw weight is the highest amount of weight in pounds (lbs.) pulled when the crossbow is drawn. Draw weight corresponds directly with draw length, or how far back you will need to draw the string to fire the arrow.

4.Kinetic Energy
    Kinetic energy measures the amount of energy, or force, the arrow carries in the air upon being fired in foot pounds (ft.-lbs.). An arrow carrying high kinetic energy will strike an animal with more force and with deeper penetration, so it is especially important for hunters to consider this specification when purchasing a bow.

5. Power Stroke
    Power stroke is also referred to as draw length and measures the distance of the string from rest position to fully drawn posture. Like mentioned above, power stoke corresponds with draw weight and a crossbow with a longer power stroke typically requires a higher draw weight to bring the string to firing position.

6. Mass weight
    The overall mass weight measured in pounds gauges the heaviness of the crossbow. Just like a rifle or regular bow, a heavier crossbow will be more difficult to carry long distances and harder to keep aimed on target when an arrow is drawn.

7. Length
    A crossbow’s length is the distance (in inches) from the end of the stock to the furthest end of the crossbow, which could be the stirrup or the dissipater pads on the limbs; this is not an industry standard. A longer crossbow also normally makes for a heavier crossbow. For this reason, taller and more robust shooters may be comfortable with a longer crossbow, while shorter, younger, and female users may prefer shorter models.

8. Width
    The width (in inches) measures the distance from end to end of the crossbow’s limbs when at rest. Just like with length, consider the width of different crossbows in proportion to your body. A wider crossbow may offset the balance of a shorter shooter, while a more compact model could constrain and be less comfortable for a more robust shooter.

9. Trigger Pull
    1459686_671961809480998_365405343_n-300x300.jpg
    Trigger pull refers to the amount of weight needed to pull the trigger in order to fire the crossbow. This is not an issue most shooters with dexterous fingers, but the average crossbow will have a trigger pull somewhere between 3 and 4 lbs.(3.5 lbs is the best), which is considered a safe and effective level.

Hope this could be helpful.

Happy shopping and have fun with your xbows:fro:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  6. jackvolsfan1

jackvolsfan1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the buying guide info.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

7. solocamin1

solocamin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just got my buddy to get a crossbow he now loves it if you wanna get a nice obe for under 500 check out the new barnett recruit thats i got my friend to buy he loves it to death now i have two the barnett buck comander and a mission mxb both are awesome i got into crossbows for yote hunting and to bring my two sons deer hunting they cant pull over 40 pounds yet but they sure are deadly with a crossbow lol they seem to hit anything out to 50 yards.

8. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Carbon Express and Mission make excellent crossbows within that price range!

9. str8shooter

str8shooter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I currently own a carbon express cx-2 but the wife got the bug and after looking at them all with pro's and con's color etc. she chose a Barnett wildcat c5 in black. with case $343. New.
    Now why black? Because as a fun side job I duracoat and cerakote. She wants her own personal colors. LOL

10. culprit

culprit Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I went through this dilemma two years ago. If I bought another crossbow today I'd buy them in this order.

1.) Darton
    2.) Wicked Ridge/Ten Point
    3.) Excalibur

I'd avoid Barnett at all costs.

I have a Wicked Ridge Raider CLS and love it. It is very dependable and shoots great. Give Dave a call at wyverncreations.com He has some great knowledge and the scoop on the best deals. He spent a bunch of time with me and gave me a great deal on my crossbow. Good Luck.

11. freeloader

freeloader Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Here's advice I just gave someone else......

Before you make a purchase....contact David Wilkins at Wyvern Creations....603-659-0575.....he will answer all of your questions....even if you do not buy from him.

12. ldydiver

ldydiver Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You said to avoid Barnett at all costs.....why?

I am looking to buy my first crossbow and have been looking at several different models. I know I want something with the crank cocking mechanism, and a good scope. I would like to keep the cost less than 800 if possible, but don't want something cheap and poorly made. The rep at my local sporting goods store recommended a Barnett headhunter. My husband suggested I check out some forums and ask for suggestions from users rather than just relying on salesmen opinion.

13. jacob

jacob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am new to the crossbow action myself. I just bought a wicked ridge invader. I like it so far but I don't have anything to compare it to.

14. raptorfx

raptorfx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I say check out Barnett....RAPTOR FX AND THE RAPTOR IN THE WOMENS MODEL..i bought mine for a whopping 330.00...if it kills deer its a bargain to me!...NOT A BAD SCOPE ON IT EITHER

15. ILHunter

ILHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Northeast Mississippi/West Central Illinois
    Another vote for the Mission crossbows. My stepfather has one and it is quite nice.

16. martin sabre1967

martin sabre1967 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: