What distances is your Xbow set at on your scope?

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by spoon33, Aug 5, 2013.

1. spoon33

spoon33 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Since most scopes have 3-4 dots/lines, what distance do you guys have them all set at? 20,40,60? Or is it more like 20,30,40.

Wasn't sure the distance between the lines on most scopes, and if you would even need to have it set for 60 yards considering its a longer shot.

2. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My buddy has his at 30, 40, 50 on his tenpoint I think

3. Meat Hunter

Meat Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    depends on bow and speed of bow a lot for me. My tenpoint hits pretty close for 20-50 yards, ten yards per mildot.

4. Tammy

Tammy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I purchased my Horton last August and it came with a 3 dot scope, I couldn't keep the thing shooting a descent grouping to save myself! It seemed like the vibration from the shot would wiggle the scope loose??? We put a cross hair scope on it and it seems to stay accurate. I have just learned to shoot with that. At 40 yrds I am holding over on the target by a foot at least.

5. wildcatter

wildcatter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    XB-30 on Gale Force 20,30,40,51,63, 2x7 Burris compact on my Excalibur Poenix is zeroed at 30 yards. Both are deadly out to 40 yards, as far as I use em!!

6. Nick

Nick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    20-30-40. Shoots about 315 FPS (Wicked Ridge xBow)

7. Bobcat031

Bobcat031 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I found my 20 and 30 are pretty much the same. I prefer not to shoot over 40,

8. TrailCamGuy

TrailCamGuy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    There is a great website over at best scope reviews that provides a one of a kind scope comparison guide. Check it out!

9. Southpaw

Southpaw Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well my Excalibur has a scope on it called a varizone which has a dial on it that has arrow speeds on it. 20 30 40 50
    I can bang tacks with that puppy and I am not the greatest of shots.It just makes me look good and gives my confidence a boost which is important to I think when hunting...

I had a red dot on another xbow and man it was real touchy it always failed me in the field and made horrible shots.
    I wont say which one because no need to bash, I just believe when it comes to archery equipment you get what you pay for so I upgraded...

10. ohiomossyoak

ohiomossyoak Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Out of my SZ380 with factory scope an 445grain Black eagle executioners going 350fps..My main Crosshair is set to at 20yrd and my next is on at 40yrds,the next is just about on at 50yrds but I wont go past 40 for whitetail because I dont have a rangefinder yet

11. str8shooter

str8shooter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use an HHA Optimizer and a 3-9x scope as in this article

HHA Optimizer Speed Dial Crossbow Sight Mount Review

works fantastic out of my set up
    Carbon Express Covert CX-2
    Camx accuspine Lumenok with 125gr anything tips(field or broadhead) 442gr total.
    HHA optimizer with 3-9x scope

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  12. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Horton Mult-A-Range 4x32 CB (cross hair) scope SS047 on my Yukon SL. I can't find any specifics on this scope's reticle, and I'm wondering that if the actual cross hair is zeroed in at 20yrds, is the next line down for 30yrds, and the next one 40yrds ect? This thing shoots VERY accurately at 20yrds and I don't/won't shoot past 30yrds, but I just want to know what the incremental values of these lines are. Here's a decent pic of the reticle. Again, the cross hair is zeroed at 20yrds.

13. Ladydeerkiller

Ladydeerkiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2 crossbows. I use my Ten Point Titan Extreme for hunting. It is set for 20, 30, 40 and 50 yards. I have killed 2 deer at 20-25 yd, 1 at 30 yd and 1 at 40 yd. I am not as accurate at 50 yd, seems to drop off a little. My other Xbow is a Mission MXB. I am using it in some 3-D shoots because it is much lighter than my Titan, but still very accurate. I have to shoot just using my offhand to steady my shot. And they make us shoot at 40 yards. That takes a lot of practice. Needless to say when I hunt with it, I will use a stick.

14. wisBOWhunter

wisBOWhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    10000 yards.

15. vanbachbn

vanbachbn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 150lb Xbow. I use it for rabbits. I don't shoot over 25m. I use a telescopic sight with 4 horizontal lines and centre vertical. I have sighted in the centre line(top line) to 18m. with that set up I can hit my target spot on at 45m precisely between the bottom 2 lines. The lines are set in the scope and cannot be adjusted individually. If I could swap my recticle I would go for a single cross now with thicker ranging hairs for about 1m at 20m. This would be more useful. The Xbow is very accurate when sitting and resting your elbows on your knees at this distance but most rabbits don't wait that long or let you get that close while carrying your fold up chair. I got the Xbow to shoot the fox that worries our chooks. I carry a bolt and a broadhead just for him/her if we meet, and I can get a clean shot. When the grass settles a bit I will go out for a whistle. Long grass is the killer. Blunts and broads are not very accurate through it and sighting into the grass is impossible. I set my scope and practice with blunts into a bag target a few times a week at distances from 10m out to 25m. I shoot ABA recurve barebow and distance is everything. I can pick distances pretty well out to 25m and have taken out rabbits from the largest bucks to the smallest kittens that you see running about. I would recommend setting the scope to suit your needs. Practice at a distance then shoot that distance(if you're hunting) cos you'll miss otherwise. work on other distances and use those as you become comfortable at estimating them and shooting accurately.
    I went to Oz Hunting and Bows to look at a hunting compound when the fox became a bother. The guy there introduced me to the Xbow and I walked out with it. He provided me with all the help equipment and advice I needed to shoot safely and start hunting. I have shot smallbore before and shooting Xbow is very similar. I shoot on our property and have set rocks up around the place to help with distances, I don't like to miss. Good luck, I hope this helps.

16. garyalarson

garyalarson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My 3-Dot on my Barnett Recruit (300FPS) is 20-40-50. Not sure I will shoot beyond 40. Wish it was 20-30-40. :( Just gotta split the dots, and seems to work well for me.

17. solocamin1

solocamin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a mission mxb 400 my dots are at 50 60 70 yards but its deadly accurate out to 90 i use it to smoke yotes year round. I also have a barnett buck commander the dots are set at 30 40 50. on the mxb ive shot 20 30 40 50 with the same dot and theres no drop until after 50 yards.