Broadheads for black bear hunting

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by gmtrombley, Jul 4, 2013.

1. gmtrombley

gmtrombley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am going on a black bear hunt in Manitoba this fall. I am planning to use my crossbow and am wondering about the type of broadheads to use. I have used NAP Spitfire for deer but i am reading contradictory articles about even using mechanical broadheads for bear. Any suggestions? I am seeing more and more about using "slip cam" broadheads for any kind of hunting.

2. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Personally for me it would be a fixed blade and probably a little heavier grained for bear. There are plenty to chose from, check out the NAP Thunder heads, there awesome!

3. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Look into the Hell Razor fixed blade heads by New Archery Products. I picked some up to try on a deer or possibly a bear in the future! Good Luck on your hunt!

4. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have used 2 blade rage for my compound bow without any issues what so ever on Ontario black bear. I raved about them so much that my friend started using 2 blade Rage specifically for the crossbow. She has harvested several bears also without issue. Its all a matter of personal perference really. I was going to switch to a fixed blade for my first bear hunt, when a very wise mentor hunter told me to stick to what I was comfortable and used to shooting. No matter what you decide, good luck and shoot straight!

5. rackstacker613

rackstacker613 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    G5 montec, theyre awesome for bears. One of my buddy's works for an outfitter in Quebec and says that the broadhead that gives them the longest track jobs on bears is the rage two blades. And I use rage 2 blades for deer so I'm not prejudice towards them

6. Buck master

Buck master Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't tried them yet, but I hear rocket broad heads are pretty awesome when it comes to bears.

7. GhostRack

GhostRack Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've taken 3 bear's so far...all with rage....