Compound crossbow or not?

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by bluenoser, Jan 30, 2013.

1. bluenoser

bluenoser Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello, I'm new to bow hunting, and I am considering purchasing a fairly cheaply priced crossbow, but I am confused about what is better, a compound or non-compound crossbow?

I thought at first that all non-compound crossbows were the cheap ones, and that there was a certain price point where all crossbows were higher quality and thus compound, but now that I'm searching around I'm seeing non-compound crossbows in the $500-$1500 range.

So, my question is, which is better?

I know that money makes all the difference, and like any new hobby when your getting into it the better the quality the better the experience and the more likelihood that you'll like it and stick with it, but the reality is that I'm probably forced to purchase a crossbow under $500 bucks for now.

So I guess first, I need to know if I should definitely be looking at only compound crossbows, what FPS I should consider for deer hunting, and what pound pull I should also consider.

What do you think??
    Thanks!
    :)

2. bluenoser

bluenoser Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone??

This is my 1st post here, I see lots of people looking, but nobody is replying.

I just want to know the difference between a compound bow and one without the pulleys.

Thanks!
    :)

3. Crossbow Jared

Crossbow Jared Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  4. bluenoser

bluenoser Newb

Dislikes Received:

Thanks for your reply!!

I was hoping to spend between $300-$500 for an entry level crossbow, but it seems like everyone is recommending more expensive ones.

Are you saying that I can re-string a recurve limb crossbow by myself, but NOT a compound bow type?

That could be a major concern for me if that is the case because there is no place around here qualified to do that.

What do you think?

5. Crossbow Jared

Dislikes Received:
    No problem.

Yes a compound has the cam so it takes some more tools to string it. The recurve has no cams the string just gets hooked over the end of the limbs, so you could do it yourself (I have). The recurve is just a lot less parts to break.

I have the middleton 355 and 330 :)

6. bluenoser

bluenoser Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hmmm.... sounds like I have some decisions to make!!

Although I'd love to buy the best, I'm simply forced to stick to the cheapest I can find that isn't a piece of garbage.

I'm disabled and on a fixed income, and just thought it might be a good idea to be able to go out and hunt my own food if things get bad.

What about THIScrossbow, do you think it's a POS and not worth spending the money on??

Or how about http://www.crossbows2u.com/product/HUNTINGPACKAGE/150-Lbs-Wood-Hunting-Crossbow--Scope--Laser--BroadHeads--Pack-of-Arrows.html

7. bluenoser

bluenoser Newb

Dislikes Received:
  8. bluenoser

bluenoser Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So what do you think, are these crossbows junk, or would they be OK for a new yser to get the hang of it with??

9. Bowhunter_IL_BT

Bowhunter_IL_BT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use my girlfriend's Excalibur Phoenix since IL passed the new law and love it. I would def recommed a recurve crossbow anyday. Before you decide to get one make sure you check out Wyvern Creations and Dave will take care of you. You can get a package deal for good crossbows for around $600 with free shipping. Our family has bought 2 crossbow packages from him and you won't find a better deal anywhere.

10. bluenoser

bluenoser Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the reply.

Looks like http://www.crossbows2u.com/ has exactly the same prices that the sire you referred me to has.

What I'm still most perplexed about is simply whether to buy a recurve crossbow or a compound one.

Other than the ease of restringing a recurve bow, what is the advantage/difference between the 2?

What kind should I buy?

11. Crossbow Jared

Dislikes Received:
  12. Bowhunter_IL_BT

Bowhunter_IL_BT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Advantages with recurve crossbows is they tend to be lighter and more user friendly. Only disadvantage is that they are slower than compounds for most part. I would get a recurve and not think twice about it. I have an Excalibur and would never even dream of buying any other brand name. The recurve I have shoots 305 fps and bolts blow through deer at ease.

13. SeaHawk

SeaHawk Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Since you are new to crossbows, I want to remind you that many states still do not allow hunting with a crossbow except for disabled persons in certain circumstances. Those that do often have special rules and regulations concerning crossbows. If you plan to hunt with one I strongly suggest you contact your states Dept. of Fish and Wildlife to see what the requirements are to hunt legally with a crossbow and what the minimum requirements for a crossbow are BEFORE you buy one.