Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    spoon33 is offline Member Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

Can a deer jump a X-bow at 40 yards?

My 2 buddies went and shot several crossbows the other day before deciding on one that shoots 340 FPS. It was lighter then the others, but one of the drawbacks was it is also one of the loudest. With that being said, does it matter how loud it is, or will even the quietest one alert the deer to "duck" the shot. Is their bow fast enough to drop a deer at 40 and in, if aimed properly?

Backcountry is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    No bow will ever beat the reaction time of a deer. Period. There is a few things a guy can do to quiet a bow down, however. String accessories, heavier shafts/heads, etc..
    Non-essential information here.

Siman/OH is offline Senior Member Legendary Woodsman
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ummmmm Yes?

2009, 2010 and 2013 G2G Attendee!

AUbowhunter is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    A cross bow is going to be loud, can't change that. But yes a deer will duck it just like a vertical bow. 340 fps is not faster than the speed of sound. I think shooting past 30 is only good if you and your equipment can do it and also the deer is totally relaxed. an alert deer will jump a 30 yrd shot.
    Likes Ladydeerkiller liked this post

Mission Eliminator
    Beman Hunter Elite
    NAP Killzone
    QAD Ultra Rest HD

"I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work."... I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God." Auburn University Creed

BigRedOak is offline Senior Member Weekend Warrior
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think that there is any crossbow that is quiet enough that it won't cause an alert deer to react.

Also, as someone else already pointed out, no bow is going to be faster than the speed of sound. An alert deer is going to react before the arrow gets there, and the amount of movement the deer can make before the arrow gets there is simply a matter of how long the arrow is in the air before it reaches the target.

If one person is shooting an arrow at 340 fps and a second person is shooting an arrow at 280 fps, and both shoot at a target 40 yards away, the first guy's arrow will beat the second guy's arrow by less than 0.2 seconds. So how much further can a deer move in 0.2 seconds?

Point being, speed isn't going to make all the difference in the world. The key is to keep your shots within 30 yards unless the deer is 100% relaxed.
    Likes Ladydeerkiller liked this post

tfox is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    A deer is less likely to duck the string at 40 but it can happen, especially with a loud crossbow. They tend to duck more on the close shots than the longer ones. The noise being close spooks them more than being far away.

I would have many limb save priducts on a crossbow.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    www.bowstringdepot.com

"We want to help the helpless,we don't give a **** about the clueless anymore". Dennis Miller

Dickie Tunes is offline BHOD Crew Die Hard Bowhunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Always shoot within your equipments limits, deer can move there body 100% in a split second!
    Mathews Monster Chill 70#
    Carbon Express Maxima Reds 350-29"
    NAP-Killzone
    NAP-Armour Rest
    Pine Ridge Archery Stabalizer
    Lone Wolf-Alpha Treestand
    Hunter Safety System
    Tinks 69 products
    Lacrosse boots
    Stealth Cam- trail cameras
    Bowhunting.com Pro-Staff Member
    richie@bowhunting.com

BULLRUSH52 is offline Junior Member Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you want a One shot/one kill,try to stick to the 30 yard rule most hunters are referring to here.
    At 30 yds (90ft)we have great vision and can line up a shot well, 40 yds(120 ft) is considerably further when your talking about deer reaction time and fps. If you hunt in a forest, it's tough to even have a clear 40 yds.
    90 ft is like running to first base, if you have ever run both, a 40 yd and base hit, then you will definitely comprehend the difference..(both sprints suck!lol) Good Luck !!

jeff-17 is offline Senior Member Weekend Warrior
    Post Thanks / Like
    My nephew & I ea. shot deer @40 yds. with my Stryke Zone 380, both shots were right behind the shoulder where we were aiming, mine was a 8 pt 180lbs. his was a big doe 160 lbs. The SZ 350 & 380 are 350 fps. & 380 fps. Jeff

Sticknstringarchery is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe so. I think there are many factors though. Deer pressure, bow noise and even foliage. It seems one can hear much more in the woods in late season after the leaves have fallen as a posed to late season. If the deer is already on edge then it's going to react much differently to what ever noise level of the bow.

If you are asking does the speed get it there before it has time to jump, then my answer is no, the arrow is not fast enough to out run the deer reaction.
    TEAM KILL!!!!!!

Walk-On Archery National Pro Staff Coordinator

Hunting Rig:
    2014 Ben Pearson Stealth 2
    Trophy Ridge Whisker Biscuit
    Viper V1000XL 5 pin sight
    Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
    Rage Chisel Tip 2 Blade
    Hot Shot Vapor Release

Bowhunter_IL_BT is offline Senior Member Weekend Warrior
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Backcountry View Post
    No bow will ever beat the reaction time of a deer. Period. There is a few things a guy can do to quiet a bow down, however. String accessories, heavier shafts/heads, etc..

Interesting post cause I think the last buck I shot 3 weeks ago moved a little. I had my Xbow on a solid rest and I knew the distance. I shot at the buck at 35 yards but yet my entry was still high below the spine a few inches. The exit wound was still perfect, but no way it should have been that high aiming higher with my 30 yard crosshair esp with a rock solid rest. Im thinking he had to have moved a little. He was on alert looking my direction when I fired. Even at 305 fps they will moved a little

johnwb82 is offline Senior Member Semi-Hardcore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I shot a doe at 30 yards easy shot that I had made time and time again practicing and still hit her hi and a little back so yeah they will duck it. Shooting a Wicked Ridge Invader HP

Meat Hunter is offline Member Weekend Warrior
    Post Thanks / Like
    Deer can move fast, at distance what i have seen is they hear noise and look up and back to the noise, by that time its to late. Most of my shots are 40 yards, i set my stands up that way on purpose cause i smoke and was getting busted to often. I watched at 32 yards three deer, my wife shot a huge doe and when she shot they all looked up and froze, when the arrow hit they all ran. I wouldnt worry about it.

freeloader is offline Member Newb
    Post Thanks / Like
    it breaks down to science...the speed of sound is roughly 1125 fps...the sound of the arrow being launched will always reach the deer first.....the more relaxed the dee, the less likely it is that the deer will jump the string......

SharpEyeSam is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Backcountry View Post
    ^what he said^
    Mathews Z7 Magnum/Totally Lost Creed 29"/70lbs.
    HHA DS-5519 Sights
    2013 QAD Ultra Rest HDX Right Hand, Lost Camo and Red
    Easton Full Metal Jacket (Lost Camo)
    Nockturnal X-Nocks (Red), Nockturnal (Green)
    Mathews T5 Quivers
    Axion 5 in. Stabilizers, Lost Camo
    Rage Extreme and Hypodermic Broadheads
    Nikon Archer's Choice Rangefinder

DLC Covert Pro staff

2013, 2014 GTG Attendee
    2013 GTG Long Haul Award

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast