Shooting sticks?

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by necamogirl, Jul 26, 2012.

1. necamogirl

necamogirl Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This is going to be my first hunting season with a cross bow. Well that is if I can start shooting a bit more consistantly. I shot so much better with my bow than I do with this thing. Are shooting sticks a must for crossbows, because I just dont understand how anyone can hold them steady? I have an Excalibur Vixen II which is pretty light compared to most. Im shooting at 30 yards and just not happy with the shot. I guess I need to get some shooting sticks and answer my own question.

2. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah they would be good but not much use in a treestand. If you hunt from a ground blind I'm sure they will help a ton. Or just stick with the vertical bow lol

3. Rancid Crabtree

Rancid Crabtree Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you shoot better with a bow, why switch?

4. freeloader

freeloader Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Even the lightest crossbows are heavy when compared to a vertical bow. Offhand shooting takes some getting used to. Shooting sticks are a good idea for a ground blind, and something like a Ready Shot or Horton Knee Pod works for an open treestand (no shooting rail).

5. houser52

houser52 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Shooting sticks work really good out of a blind and I used them a lot last year. When you buy or make your own sticks be sure that the top of the sticks are well below the string when the crossbow is in the " V ".

When hunting out of a stand and sitting down, I rest my off side elbow on my knee to steady the shot.

Shooting while standing and offhand shooting just takes lots of practice. As with shooting a long gun or handgun you're never going to stop the movement but knowing when to squeeze the trigger while moving comes with practice.

6. Ladydeerkiller

Ladydeerkiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Ten Point Titan Extreme and it's very heavy. I use a tripod when shooting from a ground blind. My hunting stand has a rail around it but not very helpful so I just brace my offhand on the rail so I can pivot as needed. I shoot 3-D tourn in the Spring (right now) and shoot both my compound, and Xbow. Can't use a shooting aid at all except the use of your offhand against your side. My Titan is too heavy for this so I use my Mission MXB. Much lighter. Haven't used it hunting yet. I just started hunting for the first time ever in Oct of 2013.... I also turned 60. I killed 4 deer with my Xbow including a 12pt. If you're not using a stick.....practice, practice, practice.