Why do Bowhunters Drop Out by Age 50?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Bowhunting.com Staff

Bowhunting.com Staff Administrator

Dislikes Received:
  2. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I thought they just stopped killing deer at age 50, like John Herrmann (Aka Johnny Miller). :D

3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    "It's possible to buy a crossbow in the morning and be proficient by afternoon..."
    Uhhh...yeah. Isn't this article about attrition? As in guys who know how to shoot a bow who stop? What does that have to do with anything? Every bowhunter I know likes shooting bows, and only permanently makes the switch to a Xbow when they are physically unable to shoot a vertical bow.

4. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    The guy quoted was referring to the previous paragraph where he talked about how it's harder later in life to find the time to practice and be proficient, hence the crossbow comment. Meaning guys that don't have time to practice and be proficient (whether they know how to shoot a bow or not) can be much more proficient with a crossbow.

5. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's just lack of self care and being out of shape. It's really hard work to bowhunt. Alot of guys that age are losing testosterone and just slowing down. Most of them have had their share of filled tags. They're just tired lol.

6. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I can't speak for anyone else but I'm over 60 and I'm still hunting and I ain't quitting..........EVER!

Blessings........Pastorjim

7. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry another Stat buster here too. I'd suspect chronic injuries, arthritis, longer healing times, work and family to be causes.

Me, I'm trying to prepare for my first elk hunt this year...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  8. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some people don't age well. Priorities and focus change.

9. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That makes two of us Jim! :)

10. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got into bow hunting for the challenge not because it was easy.

I have to agree that a Xbow is easier but it will only be a tool I pick up when I am so physically challenge that it is my last resort to be in the woods.

At that point I am not so sure I won't just trade my bow in for a Nikkon and practice catch and release! :)

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to be 50 this year, and the time excuse is no excuse. Because my kids are grown and off to college I have more time than I have had in many years. This was just another crossbow marketing excuse.

12. Freelance Bowhunter

Freelance Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This comes as a surprise to me, I had no idea. I am 56 and have never considered dropping out. In fact, I have a list of bowhunting things and places and species I am still working on, and will be for some time. I may not be the norm, I played basketball 3-4 times a week for nearly 30 years until I had knee surgery two years ago, now I have to find other ways to keep in shape.

I have nothing against crossbows, they are just not for me at this point. I think they are heavy and awkward. I don't see giving up bowhunting in the next dozen years, but I suppose that could change.

13. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be 59 in August and I have as much vitality as I did when I was 49. Here's what I do that keeps me in shape. I always say hunt high! lol I'll bowhunt til I drop.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  14. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think some of the drop out has to do with lack of options in weapons (crossbows) in some states. PA for example just legalized them across the board a couple of years ago. Missouri just did so as well. As some others have pointed out; injuries, arthritus, and just generally aging and getting older makes it more difficult to hunt like we always have. Not being able to put down the bow in favor a crossbow without going through insanely difficult hoops (PA was incredibily difficult to obtain a disabled permit years go) probably attributed to some of those folks just giving it up.

15. Johnny Miller

Johnny Miller BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    And I thought you were my friend Dusto! I may not be killing much these days but I will never go to a crossbow unless its the very last resort and like Bone head said, at that point I may just film instead. I completely understand a person going to the crossbow if they physically can't do the vertical but the people that just opt for it cause its easier.... not a big fan of the 'easy way' to do things. Too much of that going on in today's world. Also too much video game playing and not enough hunting going on by former members of this forum (AKA Dan)

16. WW1

WW1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    eyesight

17. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Or the consequences of our youth...former (aggressive) soccer goalie and a motorcycle wreck here, so I pretty much help keep the ibuprofen industry in business.

18. Diesel77

Diesel77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 51 and my eyes are definitely affecting my bow hunting looking through peeps, its a blurry mess, Ive used the Veripeeps and some other options to help but eventually it will not be ethical, and I find myself dropping poundage as time goes on. I guess sooner or later I'll use a Xbow if I have to.

19. Cougar Mag

Cougar Mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be 62 in May and ain't giving bowhunting up. In my case its become harder because I kept coming back to my old hunting haunts and did not keep looking for more land............big mistake as getting and keeping hunting land is getting harder. Can't walk as far as I used to. As long as I can proficiently shoot a compound that is what I will shoot!

20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have to walk halfway to the target on my 25 yard range to see exactly where my arrow hits, but that doesn't limit accuracy.