Where have all the BIG deer gone?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by TreebillyOutdoors, May 28, 2016.

1. TreebillyOutdoors

TreebillyOutdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This is a question I was asked on a new property last season. After acquiring a new tract to hunt last year and grounding an old (jawbone aging put him at 7 1/2 yrs) 11 pointer in late October, I started monitoring the doe population and balancing the herd.
    IMG_0843.jpg After the 1st shotgun season ( the only season I do not have access as there is a group that's hunted that season there for 30 yrs) I was able to catch up with a few of the shotgunners. Having showed them this picture, I was surprised to hear them say that that's the only BIG deer they were aware of on the property. After chatting a while it became obvious that they were "Brown and Downers". They showed me the pictures of their harvest, pointing out that everything they shot were "smaller deer", and asked "Where have all the big bucks gone". Astounded by their lack of putting 2 and 2 together, I simply pointed to his phone full of pics. They're all right there I told them. To this they replied "but they grow bigger than that around here". I could only shake my head. I proceeded to tell them that the only way to shoot BIG, MATURE deer (especially bucks) you must pass the younger ones. It is amazing how many hunters today can not make that correlation. I continued to go through their pictures and explain to them that they we killing deer that had not had a chance to reach their full potential. After more talk and looking at pictures, I had deduced that this group had taken 14 bucks off of this 400 acre property. Of these 14 only 1 appeared to be a 3 1/2 yr old, 3 - 2 1/2 yr olds, 5 - 1 1/2 yr olds and 5 button/spikes. After this I explained to them that they had probably already shot the deer that would've been the "BIG BUCKS" for the next 2 possibly 3 years, and reduced the chances for at least 5 years. IF YOU WANT TO SHOOT BIG BUCKS YOU MUST PASS THE SMALL ONES!!!

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations on a nice deer.

3. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It amazes me too. If people don't care about size that's one thing but some of them are totally oblivious to that fact.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think it is funny how people are so surprised how stupid other people are because they do not know what they know.

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some people just don't get it. But the same people shooting the yearlings and 1.5 year olds are the same ones that show up for deer season on opening day looking for a monster. Not having put one day of time ensuring that those monsters have a chance to grow. Buts its the reality. We do our best and hope they will eventually come around. By educating them when they ask you are doing your part so keep it up. Maybe one day it will sink in.

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

While I don't disagree with you here Sota but at some point it has to be common sense. I mean you can't get apples off an apple tree if you cut it down after the first 1.5 years of growth. :evilgrin:

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    True and while every hunter wants to shoot a trophy buck not every hunter has the ability to shoot a trophy buck.

8. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I disagree with this. If that is true, what really defines a trophy? Isn't that more of a personal decision? In some states a trophy buck is a 120". Where as here in Illinois, the same could be said for a 180". What it really comes down to is personal decision, and the hunter knowing what they want to shoot. I would venture to say that most guys know that deer don't get big if you shoot them while they are young. Like you said, that's common sense. They are many who are thrilled just to kill a buck regardless of size. I think most guys know what they want to shoot. While that may not be the same as what you have in mind, it's their choice. To each their own. If someone doesn't understand that if you shoot a young deer, they won't grow into a big one, then I surely wouldn't put a gun or bow in their hands. Shoot whatever you want and hope that others may do the same!

9. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Common sense is not common I guess

10. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    If you don't have the ability to shoot a trophy buck in iowa, something is wrong

11. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt areas surrounded by people that just want to tag a buck.. There are those like me that will pass smaller bucks, but most will shoot the first buck with 5-6 points they see... frustrating...

12. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No different than anything else. The majority of people are "wanters and wishers". Everybody wants and wishes the could have or do "X". Very few are willing to put in the time, do what is required, and make the sacrifices necessary to achieve (earn) their desired end point.

Tags: