Warmest camo you've found

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Firemedic910, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Firemedic910

Firemedic910 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hunting in Kansas where it gets into the teens and 20s regularly during the late season. I currently use UA camo with UA 3.0 base layers but I freeze, about 3 hours and I'm done. I'll put up to 3 layers on sometimes and I don't notice a difference. Anyone have recommendations for cold weather gear?
    Any help is appreciated!
    God bless!

2. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use First Lite base layers and Sitka outer layers.

You could go all First Lite or all Sitka and still have a great system. Neither are cheap but plenty of sales going on right now.

3. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Heater Body Suit
    https://heaterbodysuit.com/

I pack it in when it dips into the 20 and below or 30s with high winds. You don't have to wear a bunch of cloths and sweat to death on the way in as that will lead to a really cold sit. Once you cool off a bit slide in the suit and you are good to go. You can sit all day. Keeps your feet from being cold as well!

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    IWOM my goal every year is to not need it.

5. Freelance Bowhunter

Freelance Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Arctic Shield. Best by far.

Late season here in Minnesota, teens and 20's would be a heat wave normally (not this year). Arctic shield really works.

6. PSEHunter79

PSEHunter79 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The big issue I see with UA is guys using the wrong baselayers and product line.

Alot of UA gear is meant for active hunting, which means if your in a blind or a treestand you'll freeze wearing it.

The baselayer they make for treestand hunting is their old 5.0 base. Which is now called UA Base Extreme.

Men

Men

UA offers so much stuff, they don't really make it clear unless you do alot of digging and reading and even than I made the same mistake and bought a thinner base before realizing it wasn't ideal for how I would hunt.

As far as tops and bottoms from UA , the gunpowder jacket and pants is the warmest they make I believe for hunting. The issue with that is, you'll need to do digging to find a place that has it in stock, I think maybe only 1-2 online places have it left, all others are sold out.

If you use those extreme base leggings with those pants and layer top with a 1/4 in zip and jacket .. etc you should be fine at 20 degrees. Guys hunting in northern canada with this stuff and stayed warm just fine..

Something tells me you are probably using their softshell pants and top? with that thin 3.0 base?

In the 40's and 50's temps I wear that 3.0 base with the softshell gear, keeps me warm and dry .. if I do to much walking I will start the sweat but the UA gear wicks the moisture away and I am dry a few minutes after stopping. In 20 degree weather I'd go with the extreme UA base with the gunpowder series line from UA as well as their 1/4 inch zip, goretex insultated boots, neck warmer, hat, etc.. TOASTY warm.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  7. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought some Skyline (made in Canada) insulated snow camo for when I hunted in Alberta and that stuff is warm! Fairly pricey, but real quality. But, from EVERYTHING I've heard, the Heater Body Suit rules in the extreme cold! Either way, you'll pay for good gear.

8. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    "Gets into the teens or 20's"

When you say that gets into means low temps. When I say it, it means highs.

for base I use Terramar Military Fleece tops and bottoms. I have a pair of quilted camo bibs I bought at least 10 years ago. I will wear a UA hoody until it gets down to about 30, than I will switch to my camo coat (non-name brand) which will get me down to low teens or single digits, where I will put the hoody on under the coat.

9. crxwolski

crxwolski Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sitka incinerator.

10. turkish621

turkish621 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    this!

11. Tri-County

Tri-County Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Cabelas scent lok parka and bibs. Typically wear just a thin under armour layer, or just boxers and am warm down to 0 on stand. I'm at a loss for keeping my feet warm though.......

12. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yup! The HBS instantly became my go to cold weather gear for stand hunting.

13. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Another fan of Artic Shield here. Apparently I have misplaced my jacket and bibs so I will be buying another set this year.

14. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's my biggest problem; and I love me some UA. Some of their "cold gear" isn't really all that warm. And some of their ridge reaper line is pretty toasty...I really wish they would go with a better rating system.

15. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    I will be honest even though a tad bulky I love my Ultimate Camo fleece outfit.

16. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just got the First Lite Sanctuary Bibs, Jacket, and their puffy jacket. This stuff is super nice! Very warm too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought an IWOM for hunting this year. I used it a couple times for ML season though honestly I probably didn't need it. Mostly I wanted an excuse to play with it. The one day I used it in 20+ mph winds and will say for sure it's windproof.
    I have a buddy that just got the Sitka Fanatic setup. It looked like a real nice setup and he was real pleased with it, though I got my IWOM on sale and ended up paying less than half of what he did for his Sitka. If I had to do it over again I'd probably still pick the IWOM.

18. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't stand being constricted, I tried on a HBS a friend bought and would absolutely hate that up in a treestand. It's is super warm, just not for me. Maybe if I hunted from ground blinds more I would like it.

I agree with the other guys; Sitka and First Lite are good choices. However neither are cheap. ****sSportignGoods has a lot of camo on sale right now, I saw insulated Field and Stream jacket and bibs for $39.99 each, but have no idea if they are any good.

19. Firemedic910

Firemedic910 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When I see double digit temps I cringe... I don't know how the heck boys up north do it. I'm a baby in cold so I know that doesn't help. Finally was able to fill most of my tags before December this year, thankfully! LOTS of great information, thanks folks!

20. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Merino wool base layers and King of the Mountain Wool for outerwear...and if it is still too cold, add a heater body suit to the mix. Kept me warm and toasty trough a hunt n Montana when the temperature started in the negative and never rose above the teens.