Thoughts on Jim Ward?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by sethf11, Aug 23, 2016.

1. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just discovered his stuff and have been listening to him and watching his videos. Seems to be some good stuff. Just in general to trail cams he says let the cameras sit. Just because you don't get big bucks doesn't mean they aren't there. He says let things shuffle up in October. Too many guys abandon areas because they don't see big bucks on cameras.

He has some real good stuff I think. I like his video about reading topo maps and terrain as well as aerial photos.

What do you guys think of him?

2. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I never heard of him, but I agree summer patterns of deer certainly shift come October and November and may again in late season depending on food sources. Also some bucks will cruise far and wide searching so who knows when a new guy might show up. That's why you gotta know where those doe bedding areas are.

3. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can't say I've ever heard of the guy.

4. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ward addresses that. Here is what he says.
    - Deer like to stay up high. Find the high points on property and that's where bucks will bed. He says what happens is in spring the deer feed up high because it will warm up first with sun and things grow first. As the summer goes on it dries up on the top and the food goes away so the deer over the summer work their way back down to the creek beds and where vegetation and water is in summer. Once fall hits they will move back up he hill sides again and get back to the warm sun on the south facing slopes.
    He says that's one big problem is that people scout in the summer, find the sign in the low spots and hunt there all season and when summer ends that's why the deer and bucks aren't there. They move to the top and people stick to the low areas.

5. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been watching his stuff for awhile. He is Very knowledgeable! Look up Dr. Jim too

6. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  7. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He a little right. But not always right. Trail cams for what kind of buck is there in August is always a for sure.

8. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's actually true. The flat on the bottoms are more like hit or miss. Mostly it's their night route. Alot of the bigger bucks travel more on the hill sides than the bottom flats especially when it comes to hunting whitetails in hill country.

9. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Granted that he is also referring to deer activity in states like Illinois and Ohio and around that region. I know deer mostly do the same things and act the same but terrain is different where I live in the Adirondacks of New York then those areas. But none the less, i find his stuff very informative.

I know he has given me some ideas for when I buy land and what to look for in the land when looking for land.