questions about lone wolf hang ons

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jnida, Jul 14, 2014.

1. jnida

jnida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The past three years I have been using climber treestands. The chair-like set up has provided enough comfort for me to doze off from time to time. I am getting lone wolf sticks and a hang on this year and am wondering if the tiny seat provides less "comfort". I am not a fat guy so I dont need a big seat but I do all day sits and tend to nap for an hour in the afternoon. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Its not as comfortable as a climber and I don't think I could sleep in mine. But I don't think its made for that, its made to be a light mobile hunting stand. If I want something that I "might" could sleep in or stay in all day its a climber.

3. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I did quite a bit of research and decide to buy a lone wolf hang on this year

4. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love lone wolf stands but the standard seat really is the thing I like least about it. I don't find it comfortable at all. I do all day hunts a lot but mostly stand up. If you're looking for comfort maybe try the newer cushions lone wolf sells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was actually surprised at how comfortable the seat actually was compared to all my other hang on stands. I expected that thin pad to provide almost no comfort but I was totally wrong. Now, I don't do all day sits, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing I could be comfortable in all day. I would not want to fall asleep in any hang-on stand that doesn't have rails.

6. AJBowhunter

AJBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, I have that 3/4" - 1" seat on my climber and it is great for 3-4 even 5 hour sits, but anything past that my butt starts to get numb; and that isn't fun when you are hunting. Get the big seat for all day sits. I will admit I have dozed off more than once for 20-30 minutes, putting a lot of trust in my HSS, but it isn't particularly easy to fall asleep in. By the way it still is the best climber I have ever owned, and my hang-on is the same stand but just with tree straps.

Sent from my IPhone 5S.

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have used Millenium hang-on tree stands the last few years and they are the most comfortable hang-on stands on the market. I have the M100 and M25 I still use. I too will sometime doze off during a long sit in the tree. However, I ALWAYS use a HSS Safety Harness when I hunt. I make sure the line is snug in the seated position. This way I am not worried about falling out of the tree. I am buying a Lonewolf Alpha II and climbing sticks this year too. So it will be a new experience for me. I hear the seats are not that comfortable, but I will use my M100 for all day sits.

8. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Simply put. I had a major back surgery several years ago. I used a Lone wolf alpha II for the first time last year. The guy I was filming for forgot to bring the seat cushion and I was never uncomfortable. Normally I have to move or shift a lot or even stand. But honestly the way the seat is made and the height of it from the platform is perfect for me.
    They are best stands I have ever used and bought.

9. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've used LW's for 10 yrs now and honestly I made the switch so I could be mobile, hang in ANY tree, and NOT fall asleep anymore. Doing all day sits can be a drag but honestly I'm sitting all day for that mid day movement, not a nap. If you want to take naps this is not the stand for you. If you want to be mobile and setup anywhere, this IS the stand for you.

10. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a LW wide sit & climb combo. I fell asleep in that thing the 3rd time I used it. And i have issues (not fear) with heights too so that is saying something. But i also adjust my strap to where if i am sitting down and i lean forward, it reaches the max length and wont let me go any further. just in case i lean forward when i doze off.

11. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I do not find the Lone Wolf hang on uncomfortable at all; however, when I have plans to sit all day, I take the climber. I find my climber more comfortable for the longer sits.

12. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The newer Alpha and Assault II's have pretty large seats. I got an Assault II a few months ago and the seat is giant compared to my older Alpha's. I'll be buying the new larger seat kit for my older stands before seasons starts.