Pro/cons to thumb/wrist releases

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mikido, Jan 28, 2016.

1. mikido

mikido Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't want this thread to go into specific brands.

I currently use a regular strap wrist release. I like it because
    -used to it/feels secure
    -I can have the bow on my lap, with release attached, and hand still in pocket
    -simple to use for follow up shots

I'm considering trying a thumb release. Your experiences transitioning? Anybody try it and go back to wrist? Real world hunting experience for those that have had both?

Thanks

2. lgreenslade3

lgreenslade3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went from a wrist to a thumb, to a top of the line wrist and I'm sticking with wrist. You can also get a thumb release with a wrist strap for that extra security

3. bowhunteralways.mw

bowhunteralways.mw Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I went from wrist to thumb and I doubt I'll go back to wrist. My groups got tighter and I believe my form got better. I went by the feel and loved the way a thumb release fit me but did take some time getting used to the "squeezing" my thumb instead of trigger finger!;-)

4. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't shot a wrist release for over 15 years. Went from finger caliper release to thumb release. Just the position of anchoring has been a little difficult to break. Mainly due to just doing the same motion for so many years.
    I've practiced quite a bit and it is getting more natural to draw the bow anchoring in the correct position.

5. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've contemplated switching to a thumb release for hunting, but the thing that concerns me most is drawing back in cold weather with cold, clammy hands and having it come out of my hand. Its probably just in my head, but it really does weird me out.

I shoot a wrist strap with a hook now and love this particular release. But, the idea of hooking my release on the string and leaving it there is very appealing.

6. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use both but I like my thumb release better. It's a lot more adjustable to your hand and imo gives a more crisp release. Also I think when used properly, it is harder to develops target panic. I use my wrist release for late season when I have my gloves on.

7. Jhauschultz

Jhauschultz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just switched to a thumb release last week I was using a wrist strap and found myself with some target panic... I can say I love the thumb release and won't go back... Also a plus is I had to lengthen my draw length so it got a hair faster ;0)

Sent from my USCC-E6762 using Tapatalk

8. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to a thumb this past summer and will never go back to a wrist style. It only took me a day to get used to the thumb release and my groups got tighter. I love being able to hook it to my string and leave it there. The only time I could see a thumb release being a problem is if you spot and stalk a lot. You can't really leave it on your string while walking without it clanking on your bow, so you would be forced to either hold it or pocket it.

9. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have both but hunt with a wrist strap.
    Sort of like the difference between a caliper release and a hook.
    I shoot both wrist and thumb well and I shoot caliper and hook well but when it comes to hunting...........
    a hook, wrist release only for me.

10. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have both but mostly used my wrist style release. I used a 4 finger thumb handheld 2 years ago or most of the year as it helped me get rid of target panic. I think it was just a change a pace to help retrain my mind. I carry my thumb release in my pack as a backup release in case something happens to my wrist release while hunting. This year I want to practice with the thumb release more to get a better feel for it.

11. mikido

mikido Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the responses. Looks like a personal choice. Will have to try to find out.

12. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely. Shoot every kind you can get your hands on.

13. MAD 6

MAD 6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I recently switched to a thumb release and I'll never go back to a wrist(I'll keep one for back up) The thumb release feels so much better, the wrist release just doesn't feel right no matter what brand I have tried. You can pick up a thumb release and after a couple shots have it down pat. I needed no time to get used to it.

14. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is one of the things I love about this forum, there is always someone who has the same question as I do. Since the season ended, I've been kicking around what I can do to get better and I have been seriously contemplating a thumb release as well. Although I like my wrist release, there are certain aspects of it that worry me...punching the trigger, the leather strap stretching out through the season, etc... I have pretty much decided on making the switch but I'm really not looking forward to shelling out the money for the release that I want.

15. Mathews_08

Mathews_08 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to a thumb release right after I made my last hunt this season. One of the best decisions I've made in shooting. I shoot much better groups and my anchor is way more consistent and also very comfortable. Also I fire my thumb release using a hindgeroutine a guy taught me. When I anchor I rest the thumb trigger on my thumb and then instead of firing with my thumb once I get on target I keep my thumb stationary and pull with my ring finger putting pressure until the release fires. Get a surprise release every time. I love it, you should give it a try just to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Out of curiosity, what release is everyone shooting?

17. Mathews_08

Mathews_08 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a Scott Exxus and a Scott Backspin, I'm considering getting rid of the backspin cause the way I fire my Exxus I'm doing the same thing. The Exxus is the best release I've shot, that's just my opinion I know there are other good ones out there but I've had the best luck with Scott

18. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Most important thing here is a surprise release. Whether its a caliper or thumb release. Its more difficult to get those surprise shots with a caliper release design. I personally use both caliper and thumb for different situations, but prefer and have more accuracy with my thumb release. Like others have mentioned, I also like the fact that I can hook it up to my D-loop and leave it there. Wrist straps can become a hindrance in cold weather when wearing gloves or bulky clothing. If you need to change the buckle, you will ultimately be changing your anchor point. Its an expensive trial to run, but one you wont regret trying. At least you'll always have a backup release in your pack this way!

19. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Carter Wise Choice and a Scott Mongoose XT

20. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Tru Ball Pro Diamond Extreme. I don't think they make it anymore though. I think they replaced it with the Max Pro 4