OMG Snuffer SS Warning graphic photos

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Arkyinks, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have to tell this and must warn you the photos are bloody and graphic. So if you have a weak tummy do not look.

I was bow hunting in western Kansas this past week seeing lots of deer but, let the Mama's and small bucks past, then just at dark a single doe comes down the trail to an alfalfa field. At 35 yards I let fly and watched the lighted knock fly true. But it did not pass through, which was a first for these broadheads, and the doe dropped flat to the ground. Then she jumped up and went back the way she came and after three steps the arrow fell to the ground. It was a long half hour as it got darker and the coyotes started singing, just looking at the little green light out there. Finally I climbed down and went to where I shot and marked the spot. Then to the shaft which was broken about 6 inches from the broadhead. Only 3 drops of blood where the shaft fell but nothing else but a little brown hair. Sadness creeped into my soul and I figured it was going to be a long search in the dark alone. I stood the lighted shaft up to keep my bearing and started looking in the direction the doe went. At 50 yards I stood up a second shaft and turned on the lighted knock and started a grid search back to the first. Not a bit of sign. So went 50 yards past second shaft and set up a third lighted shaft and started back when I came upon the doe dead as a door nail. Not a drop of blood!

The first photo is the entrance point and the leg was broken.
    Second photo is where the leg bone was busted clean into by the broadhead.(I cut the meat back to see)
    Third photo is where it poked into the ribcage cutting ribs going in.
    Fourth photo is the jagged cut on the off side shoulder but the skin was not broken. That large "Y" cut was made by the broadhead.
    Fifth photo is in the "Y" and is where the Snuffer SS was resting with about 3 inches of shaft.
    Sixth photo is of the Snuffer SS. Magnus will finally have to warranty a head for me.
    The last photo is of cut ribs.
    OMG I have seen less damage by a 165 gr .30-06 then what happened here. Only the off side lung was nicked and she bleed out inside. If the broadhead was not bent it could be sharpened and used again. I went to these heads because the deer here are so FAT they plug up the holes. But to bust a leg bone and ribs coming and going is amazing even if you get no blood trail. So never give up till you know for sure and have done your best to look for the deer.

Attached Files:

2. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the only animal I've lost was with a snuffer SS. will never use them again. don't think they take a good edge or keep it. my personal opinion. Sounds like you are sold on them...good luck. I would take a carbon steel three blade or my current choice, slick trick.

3. Tony.Loney

Tony.Loney Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How heavy and how fast is your arrow ? That is a lot of damage .

4. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The total arrow weight is 450 gr. The Snuffer is 125gr. The bow is a Bear Attitude 70 lb draw weight and 30 in draw length. Do not know the speed. I just could not believe the way it snapped the leg bone. It was a direct hit but kept going.

The broadheads have performed so well for me. They are easy to sharpen and hold the edge well. I line them up with the vanes so most of the time they pass through with just a tickle and most of the time blood trail is an easy follow.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  5. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Was showing a guy at work the post last night when he asked how a broadhead could cause you to lose a deer??? Good question? It has been my belief that even a field point through the lungs / chest cavity would take a deer down. May not make a good blood trail and take a bit longer but should get the job done.

What say Ye? Rick is right that good sharp blades are really needed. I am a "cut-on-contact "fixed broadhead fan but have seen deer taken with just about every type and style sold (and even home made) . Maybe we just do not want to take credit for a poor shot and blame the broadhead.

6. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    target point in the chest is a nice talking point but until folks start popping deer with target points and recovering them in a reasonable amount of time I'll remain the skeptic.

Mine was a chest shot on a large buck at 25 yards just before dark. recovery started next morning, 12 hours later, no blood in its bed but we likely bumped it as fresh tracks in the melting snow going away from the bed and frothy lung blood on the left hand side of the track as it walked. followed it for 1/2 mile when the snow and blood sign ran out. started grid searches and searched for a week with no sign of the deer, blood or track. expected a greater blood trail and dropped stainless steel three blade and went to carbon steel or slick trick simply because for me they take a finer edge. while no two shots will likely be the same, have had better blood trails and quick recovery with both the montac carbon steel and the slick tricks on hogs and deer.

as I said, you seem sold on the SS...good luck with them. Just expressed my less favorable experience with the SS for the benefit of those who may be considering them.