Mathews monkey tails

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by smitty88, Sep 28, 2016.

1. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm getting really sick of replacing these stupid monkey tails. Do they even make difference? Any suggestions for a better string dampener?

2. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cat whiskers

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have owned 5 Mathews bows and I have never lost or replaced a single Monkey tail. Like bow nut said, try Cat whiskers.

4. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your kidding me. I've been through 3 pairs in a year and a half. The tail breaks off all the time.

5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hate them, I had a post earlier this year where I was trying to figure out why I kept hitting my forearm..... Long story short, it was a ill placed tail. I cut them off and can't tell any difference

6. vectordawg

vectordawg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've had the same problem on my Creed. Only the top one though.

7. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Buy some pine ridge ones with the split tail...they are harder to get on the string than monkey tails but seem to work as well and hold up better over time.

8. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like Monkey Tails. They have been the best sting silencers for me in 40 years of archery. I rarely loose a monkey tail. I just replaced the first one on my HTR I bought June 2015. I shoot a lot too, 4000 arrows on that bow. I do shoot heavy arrows though, unsure if that means anything. I bought 6 extra tails about 5 years ago and still have 2. I am now shooting 2 HeliMs, a Z7Xtreme and a HTR. Lots of arrows weekly and no monkey tail issues.

I don't like splitting the string type leeches. They didn't last long and installing they needed a press and then they effected tune. I stopped using cat whiskers about 30 years ago when I found out that when they get wet they triple (or more) in weight and had a large change in POI.

9. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am using the Pine Ridge Wishbone's now and have on a Hoyt target bow too. I think my Synergy was quieter with the OEM string leeches though so I may put those back in.

10. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've had troubles with the monkey tails in breaking. So I switched to these because they are a couple dollars cheaper. They do the same thing, but they still break. I just put up with it. :tu:

11. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  12. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like the looks of these. Solid design. It says that they increase bow speed but doesn't elaborate. Can you explain how adding weight to your bow string would increase speed?

13. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well stop playing with your monkey up in the tree and maybe it wont break off. :nana:

14. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't necessarily agree with that, but it could be true. I originally chose them because when taking off the crap zebra threads from my bow and going with a custom built string set, I decided the weight of these silencers were almost the same as the factory speed nocks on the string and was not a fan of monkey tails or any others that hung off of the string. So I replaced the speed nocks on the bottom of the string with the Nitro Button XL and then just added one to the top of the string as well.

You see more and more bows coming from the factory now with speed nocks, and yes I understand the justification behind, I'm just not so sure if I buy into it completely. Does a specific cam design favor more weight at a particular spot on the string and specific length away form the cam, yea probably can be true, but I don't see the gains being anything significant. But that's just my opinion.

15. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No sir I am not kidding you. I still have the same monkey tails on my Z7 Magnum since the day I bought it. I even moved them over when I had a new string installed. In fact, I sold my Drenalin (that I bought brand new) to my best friend 2 years ago and it still has the original ones on it. I don't know why. Could be because I shoot a heavy arrow as well. (469 grains total weight)