Just found out Deer Shot - Depressed

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by remmett70, Dec 16, 2015.

1. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just found out that my prime target has been killed. I would really like to be happy for the guy who shot this, but I just can't. I don't own the land, so I know the deer are not mine, but I know this deer wasn't hunted, it was just shot because it wandered to the wrong area. Everything was completely legal, but that doesn't make me any less depressed

This is what about baiting that I do not like. Bait put out to bring deer into the yard, normally it is only small spikes and forks along with does. But on occasion, one of the big ones will wonder in and if they are paying attention they will shoot it. Killed at 20 yards with a crossbow from the window of a shed. Dead is dead, but I feel like a Buck like this deserves a better way to go.

I don't know how people can shoot a buck in this manner and be proud of the accomplishment.

[​IMG]

Now instead of hunting it Friday like I had been planning, I will be taking down my stand, pulling my trail cameras and bringing them home so I can setup to hunt an open piece of land closer to home where I am able to get a Buck or Doe. Hope the 9pointer that I am letting go doesn't make the same mistake. It will be a nice deer next year.

2. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How however makes you happy and accept the challenges and limitations that come with it. Be happy for the guy, a little sad that the deer is gone.. but move on. Being jealous or angry over another's success only hurts you.

3. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    that sucks man. I do understand somewhat. Every year I put in countless miles and hours trying get it right with the bow and I get close some years, some i kill, but every year without fail one of the guys in our group will show up first day of ML season and shoot a toad. Never scout, never put out cams, no strategy, just throw up the stand in an open area where they can shoot 150-200 yds, and boom, big buck down. the rut makes it a bit easier for them and the distance at which they can kill does too. But hey, I have the same option, but it doesn't appeal to me. So I just go about my business and try to get it done the way I want to. They can get theirs, it's up to me to get mine.

4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    As most will probably say, legal is legal.

Would it have been any different had you been walking to or from stand and just happened to catch him off guard and stuck an arrow through him? Same thing applies, he was killed by dumb luck and no real strategy.

I'd offer him some of your trail cam pics of him and be happy to get a good look at him up close.

All a part of hunting, sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. Just have to find that next one to consume your time and energy, which sounds like you already have in the 9.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Still sucks either way so be happy for the guy and sad for your luck, your turn will come.

6. realunlucky

realunlucky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Could be worse you could still be hunting him and not know he is dead and just chilling in the tree. When you hunt a single deer it's the risk you have accept before committing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

7. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Deer do some dumb things and some guys are lucky.

I hunt deer for the whole hunt, from spring through the summer, into the fall and then through the winter.
    Maybe this will be my year and then maybe not.

I love being out there!

8. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How many times have you seen the deer on the hoof?

9. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would have to say I'd be disappointed too if I wasn't able to harvest the deer. However calling the deer dumb and the hunter lucky is something I won't do. Maybe a bit on the lazy side but it's somewhat beside the point. Planting crops, using minerals and using scents are all baiting tactics to attract deer. Some states it's legal, some it isn't.

My dad owns 70 acres and occasionally has a few good bucks come through the property. He borders two other property owners that will shoot anything that's legal and he complains about it all the time. If the deer are on their property and they legally harvest it, there's nothing you can do about it. You don't have to be happy for the hunter but don't downplay their style of hunting just because it's different than yours. It might be difficult to swallow when they don't put in as much effort but it is what it is. Unless you own a lot of land, deer will wander and run the risk of being harvested by someone else.

10. FLTXILduck

FLTXILduck Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I hear you man. The deer of my dreams showed up in August and I got a crack at him in mid-November and fudged the shot. Same shot I stone killed a deer with 2 weeks prior. We haven't seen him since and I am just having a darn hard time letting it go. What makes me feel better about it is....I got one 2 weeks prior and I had the awesome fortune of seeing my dream deer in daylight after 2.5 months of hunting for him hard. I hope you kill a bigger one and can move past this one. good luck dude.

11. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If it was killed legally, then be happy for the guy and move on. There will be other bucks, and it will likely happen again at some point.

I chased a giant 8 point around in 2012. I became obsessed with killing this deer. Shotgun season came along, and the neighbor killed him. He scored 157" as a 7 pointer (busted brow). Was I disappointed? Yep. Jealous? Yeah a little. But he was taken legally, so shake his hand, give him some trail cam pics and go find another one.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

12. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As Cris Carter would say, Come on man.

I feel your frustration as it has happened many times to many bow hunters once gun season opens each year., but If the deer was dumb enough to go to a bait pile during shooting hours, I guess he got what he deserved , as far deer hunting goes.

13. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    this is the exact reason I do not gun hunt my archery spots. I don't want to know if the hitlist bucks were killed by a gun hunter that just had dumb luck. I would rather be surprised when they show up the following year on camera. if they don't show then I can imagine what I want about the buck. what does bother me is when the lucky hunter goes bragging all over about the big buck he killed and how great of a hunter he is. it's fine if he knew the buck was there and was actually hunting him. but not knowing the buck existed at all just irritates me some. this is why I eliminated myself from these situations and hunt someplace else during this period. and I only talk about hunting to bowhunters for the most part. tired of hearing the heroic 300yd shots.

14. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I sympathize with ya, happens here all the time. **** happens, there are other deer, just move on to the next one. I agree completely it's depressing when it happens though, I'd be lying if I said otherwise.

15. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't really like to pass judgement on the way others hunt as long as they are following the law. There will be other bucks for you to hunt.

16. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think this is the part of hunting for antlers that really puts a negative cloud over hunting between hunters. Can't tell you not to be disappointed, but we put too much emphasis on antlers. I'm more than guilty of it and will continue to hunt that way. I'm happy for others shooting big bucks. I get more upset about small bucks getting shot.

I sometimes wonder if the guys that don't take antlers so serious and hunt for more enjoyment might have things figured out. I'll continue to go after big bucks and sometimes feel like it is work. It is worth it for me when the magic happens with a big one. I do enjoy going out with the idea for a doe only.

More times than not you are setting yourself up for failure by hunting one deer. Even if you did own the land...you wouldn't own the deer anymore than a neighbor.

The plus side to this is big bucks can move into a new area when a dominant buck is killed in an area. Just my random thoughts on this. Move onto the next deer. Good luck.

17. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It sucks. No doubt at all.
    One more reason to not like crossbows.

18. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not being ugly, but what does a crossbow have to do with this? That guy could have an injury or not be able to use a compound or trad bow? My dad hurt his shoulder and uses one and I have a son with muscular dystrophy that uses one. I don't see the point of hating on hunters if they are doing things legally. We are all in this together if we want to continue our traditions. I understand getting upset over a deer getting killed, that's human nature, but hating on a guy who did things legally and maybe just had dumb luck makes no sense to me. Just my .02.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  19. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep that sucks. I'm not gonna tell you to be happy for the guy, because I wouldn't be. If I try and target one certain buck to kill that doesn't mean that I should be thrilled for somebody else that kills it. Only thing you can do is move on from it. I know it sucks, but that is hunting. All I can tell you is to find more than one buck to try and kill that way there is always a backup.

20. jasond02

jasond02 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The obsession a specific buck give us hunters can drive us crazy. Happens to me almost every year. But you are doing the right thing passing up that nine. We have seen more and more big bucks since we started passing up those younger bucks. You'll get that big buck next year.