An Important Reminder

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rick James, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just a reminder for you guys.............shoot your bows!

Last Saturday I was headed into a stand that I knew could produce some longer shots. Decided to throw the 18-1 target out at 40 yards where I parked and shoot a couple arrows to make sure all was good.

First shot bounced an arrow off the top of the target. Adjusted the sight to 37 yards, second shot pinwheeled the spot. Somehow I must have smacked the sight off something or bumped my peep sight. Doesn't surprise me as I've walked about 5 miles of standing corn so far this year (literally) getting into and out of the stand often times in the dark. Made a quick adjustment on the pointer for my sight tape (shooting a CBE TekHybrid) and shot another dozen arrows, all in the spot out to 50 yards......and finally went on my way.

Moral of the story - Shoot those bows even though we are focused on hunting, and make sure everything is still dialed in!

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, that's a great reminder!

3. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just shot with my buddy and we both missed the target at 20 yards.
    Then I found out he has a site with quick adjustments and I need my hex wrench.
    It's been a good learning day for me, as every day should.
    Thanks for the reminder.

4. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great tip!! Best of luck to you this season.

5. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good reminder! I make it a habit to shoot throughout season when I can't hunt. One to keep me sharp, and two to make sure something didn't move. Its really easy to get caught up in the season and forget the little things.

6. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Good reminder. I like to bring my 18-1 on afternoon hunts and shoot it once before leaving for the stand. Good luck!

7. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not a bad idea and a great reminder.. I'll probably shoot my bow a few times tonight after work if there's enough light.

8. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great Reminder, I was thinking the same thing this past weekend. :tu:

9. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, Matt....thank you for the reminder...the thought of that big 8 giving me a shot and something was wrong all along...ugh!

10. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I shot my arrows with broadheada for the first time in about 2 weeks today. All was good except one arrow. I've never seen anything like it. The arrow looked horrible in flight and was highly erratic. Let's just say that arrow is not in my quiver anymore.

11. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you found that arrow before it was too late!!

12. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great reminder! I try my best to shoot a few times per week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like to shoot one arrow before I sit, I feel a lot more confident.

14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'll chime in on this one as well.

Last week I shot my bow at 20 and 30 yards twice during the week. I was spot on every time and feeling really good going into the weekend.

Saturday night while climbing down from my stand I didn't notice my bow had gotten hung up on my bottom climbing stick. When I went to step onto the stick my foot hit my bow although thankfully I didn't put any weight on it. Not being able to reach down to get it I tried to gently kick it off the stick. After a few more not so gentle nudges it came free and fell about 4 feet to the ground. Somehow in the process all of my arrows came out of my quiver and one managed to snap in half. I have no idea how that happened. Clearly things were more hung up than I knew or could see in the dark. Clearly my "nudge it off with my heel" plan wasn't the best idea I've ever had.

Upon getting back to the truck I looked over my entire bow and everything looked okay. Nothing bent or out of place that I could see.

Sunday morning I shot my buck at 21 yards and hit him low. Although it was a heart shot it was 5-6 inches lower than I was aiming. It's been bugging the heck out of me all week as I KNOW I had my pin buried in the middle of his body. So today at lunch I grabbed my bow to fling a few arrows and wouldn't you know it - 5 or 6 inches low and a touch left on every shot. I haven't figured out what got knocked around yet but something definitely happened.

So yeah, listen to Matt's advice. Shoot a lot during the season and if anything happens to your bow with getting knocked around, dropped, etc. make sure you check it out and shoot it before hunting. I got very lucky that I wasn't any further off than I was.

15. c e w

c e w Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I try to shoot everyday. Two sets at 50 one at 40 one at 30 one at 20. Evan though I wont shoot past 30 still like to shoot out to fifty for ten shots. When you get down to 20 you will be tight.

16. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great Tip Indeed! I went hunting last Sunday, 10/18 and I had 3 really big doe come in at last light. All within 20 yards. I pick one out, check for eyes and draw my bow. Peep is twisted. I let down and try to straighten it. Still twisted. I wait until dark and leave. I am SO GLAD it didn't happen with the Big Buck I am after in range. I would have been SICK!! I shot my bow a few days before, but not that day. I won't make that mistake again!!

17. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the reminder! I did just that today...been hunting hard the last three days...took today off to regroup, check my gear, shoot and get ready to hunt in the am!

18. jjnowak

jjnowak Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm glad I shot mine this week. I shot a doe at 30 yards on 10/4 and absolutely 10 ringed her. I shot the exact same arrow with the same broadhead that I killed her with this week and I was off to the left and high over 6". I took at least 10 shots just to make sure it wasn't me torquing the bow or something. Something had changed. I don't remember bumping anything and nothing was loose.