doe of steel

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by demonpep, May 30, 2012.

1. demonpep

demonpep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im a police officer in a good sized city. Our outskirts are farms n forests. We had to put down a deer the other day that had been hit by a car. Long story short, the warden decided cutting the throat was the way to go on this one. With a 7 inch opening in her esophagus etc, this doe lasted over 6 minutes. I couldn't believe my eyes. She was already bally banged up from the car accident, but just refused to give up. It was sad and amazing to watch at the same time.

2. madkins

madkins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is amazing and sad at the same time. However, that brings up a good question. What is the most humane method of putting the animal down? I carry my field dressing stuff in the truck in case I drive upon an accident. Which happens often, I live across from a park. I would assume I would slit the throat as well, but is it the best method.

Sorry if this is a thread hack.

Thank you for sharing.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone

3. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why couldn't you shoot her with your service pistol? Seems like a quicker way to put her down

4. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know in my area the officers are allowed to carry a personal weapon in the trunk to discharge on injured animals so that they dont have to use their service pistol and do all the documents on discharging a round. Ive seen both ways of execution done around here and usually slitting their throat doesnt take but a min. for them to pass, to each their own I guess... either way is better than laying there mangled in a ditch to die on their own.

5. The Amatuer

The Amatuer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Execution?? Of a critically injured animal?

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    shoot it in the head...done cleanly and swiftly.

7. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Around here the cops just put a shotgun slug through the vitals just like a hunter would shoot them. That or shooting them in the head is probably the best method. I was with a friend and he had to slit the throat of a doe he hit and it was not a good time. The doe balled and it took a couple of minutes for her to die. Not ideal circumstances.

8. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He is not allowed to carry a personal weapon. Also it was the dnr that put get down and choose that method because she had made her way to the parking lot of an apartment complex. So they did not want to discharged a weapon there. Demonpep my brother called me and was going to shoot her but was told to wait for the dnr to come there. I was going to go but it would take me to long to get there. By then she would have been suffering way to long.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

9. OctaneRudi

OctaneRudi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    my friends say they just shoot the deer if its still alive is that allowed?

10. Copehunt

Copehunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I read recently somewhere that slitting the throat is not advisable only because of your own safety. If that body, legs or head and neck go jerking around all of a sudden violently, you could end up with the knife in yourself instead. Made sense to me...

11. Palma

Palma Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Six minutes.:jaw: Sounds like he may not have gotten any arteries with that cut. 1 minute, 2 minutes max I would think if cut right.

12. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A police officer discharging his firearm is a good deal of paper work

13. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just crack it in the head with a hammer or metal bar. It's instant and ammo costs money.

14. madkins

madkins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I witnessed a deer being hit last fall, an officer was right there on the scene within a minute. He said he did not want to put the animal down in from of all the civilians. Part of me understands that, but the other part doesn't want the animal to suffer more than it should. I ended up leaving the scene before a decision was made on what to do with her.

Thanks for the feedback. I know in some cities, it is illegal to discharge a firearm, so know the rules before you pull the trigger.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone

15. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cutting through the esphagous is never a speedy way to kill something. Cutting the trachea only means the animal will suffocate on it's own blood.

You want to kill something quickly with a cut to the neck.... you cut through the carotid arteries. Which are more under the jaw by the ears than the front of the neck.
    Done right it will render the target unconcious in less than 30 seconds.

16. demonpep

demonpep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Each state, county and city have their own ”rules” on this. If the dnr shows up, its their call. If they tell us handle it we have a rifle we use. More accurate, less noise and u get a good head shot. This one was tough cause of where she ran to. Keep in mind, a crowded apartment complex is different than the side of a county road. I thought the dnr was crazy, her legs kicked n she almost got him with those hooves a few times. He cut her right, she just didn't wanna give up. Animals are amazing.

17. Christine

Dislikes Received:

No, he didn't. Trust me on this. :)

18. MadMan

MadMan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Christine, I thought you were gonna say Maglite up side the head works well. jk

19. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    LOL. Yes the maglite would be faster and easier. :D (I recommend four d-cell or better)

I would not recommend the four-way tire iron, except when no other killing apparatus is available. I speak from experience on that too. ;)

20. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We euthanize a deer nearly every other day in my county. Bullet behind the ear equals a quick death. I have never done it but it is not that big of a deal in terms of paperwork.

I hear you Demon, that was a tough situation being that the doe was in an apartment complex. Can't really shoot her at an angle because of the chance of the bullet skipping due to the blacktop/background.

Last edited: May 30, 2012