Cooler Test: Worth the Price or Junk in the Trunk?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Bowhunting.com Staff

Bowhunting.com Staff Administrator

Dislikes Received:
  2. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would sure hope the coolers that cost hundreds of dollars can hold ice better. Either way I will be dead before I shell out that kind of money for a cooler.

3. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My Engel is priceless when we head out to the Marquesas for 4 days and I'm drinking vodka tonics full of ice on day #4.

4. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of people need to be propped up by a name.

5. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeti was worth every gift card :beer:

6. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The guy I hunt with has the 500 dollar yeti and that thing is sweet! I would never buy one but I'm glad I can benefit from it. :tu:

7. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I get it if a cooler is going off the grid for several days at a time. Then it might be worth the extra money. However, I can buy a lot of ice for a $10 dollar cooler that is only going to be taken out for a day or two at a time and still be money ahead.

That's what I got out of the video anyway. The cheap cooler will work just fine for 80% of of people's needs.

8. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All of my coolers are "walmart" specials. If you are going for an extended period just pack them better. The food items you are planning on having in coolers put them in Rubbermaid containers and cool them ahead of time. Keeps cool air around the items as the cooler is opened and closed resulting in less air transfer thus less warm air entering needing to be cooled. Also keeps the items from getting soaked and food from transferring flavor between them. And make chunk ice. Milk jugs, Mayo jars, ice cream jugs make good chucks of ice which will last longer.

9. Gator Dale

Gator Dale Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess if you need that fancy cooler name go for it but man seem over priced for me for the room they have no one has ever said if you use it like most folks do does it still worth it. Cheaper to buy ice than put up all that cash for a fancy cooler the way I'd use it packing meat on a haul from New Mexico to Illinois them big igloo can pack an elk in and be fine more room and less expensive

10. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Premium coolers are worth the added cost, considering the longevity and performance. Buy once and cry once.

11. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Living and working in the south can make them worth it. Buying two bags of ice a week instead of a day can add up in savings over a 10-11 month period. We would go through a cooler or two a year because of it being crushed or loosing the lid driving down the road.
    If thats the kind of use you have then its worth it. If you use a cooler twice a year and it collects more dust from sitting then use, then its probably not worth it. IMO

12. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last summer, I drove from Calgary, Alberta to Little Rock, Arkansas with a $15 cooler I got from Walmart. It carried 50 lbs of elk meat 2040 miles in two days. I bought ice three times; the night before I left, the next morning leaving Denver, and once in Oklahoma before getting to Little Rock. Between the cooler and ice I spent maybe $25. I think I can pass on an expensive cooler. Although, that Orca seemed to be the best from the test. If I was to spend the money, I would have to go with that one.

13. Gator Dale

Dislikes Received:
    So them yeti coolers are that durable then. I understand then if u use it daily like your tools I could see the saving in ice and ruggedness being a swinging factor. For myself I don't use it enuff thanks for differ view

14. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    adding ice 3 times in 2 days?!?!? Proof that its all in how you use it. If you stop at a Circle-K every 100 miles then sure a $5 Styrofoam cooler will work. But if you don't have access to ice for days and days, good luck. Of course, I'm talking about cold beer and icy liquor drinks, not keeping meat from spoiling.

15. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly, it was impossible to go on a quality hunting or fishing trip before Yeti and our elders must have been idiots to have tried.

16. Gator Dale

Dislikes Received:
    Elders must had a little German in them to drink warm drinks lol

17. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't use my coolers enough to justify. My colemans do the job just fine. They do look cool though :cool:

18. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Even better and cheaper than walmart specials are the Styrofoam ones you can get and liquor stores and gas stations. Just don't last long.

19. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought my first yeti cooler actually last week so the jury is still out if the price tag was worth it. But seeing as it will spend it's life on a job site or in the back of a truck 7 months out of the year I'll know real quick. Usually go through 3 or 4 of the cheaper cooler in a years times so if it last two years will be about worth it. And so far it's saved on buying ice every day or sometimes twice a day, I put two bags in it Friday and after a party that night, wedding Saturday and work today all in 90+ degree heat I'll finally haveta buy some tomorrow.

But idk haveta see as the summer goes on how it holds up. I don't really care about the cost or the name on the side of it, I don't work my butt off all year to not be able to buy what I want when I want it and I wanted one so if I get a couple years use out of it, it's money well spent to me.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

20. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    you shouldn't insult your elders like that by calling them idiots. They didn't know that in 70 years there would be roto-molded coolers available. Speaking of being propped up by a name, how's Moultrie working for you?