buck growl

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by kjstaudt86, Jan 18, 2017.

1. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys!

Back in November of this year I was hunting Oklahoma for some whitetail and heard a sound that made the hair on your neck stand up. It growled several times with the longest being 10-15 seconds. After doing some research on some sounds I found what exactly was making the sound. A mature whitetail buck, yes that's right. I was lucky enough to have heard this sound. Here is a youtube video NEVER Before Captured Buck Vocalization! - YouTubeof what I am talking about for those who have never heard this sound. Here is another growl Buck growl - YouTube ....Just wanted to see if anyone else has actually heard this before??

Pretty awesome to have heard it... just wish I knew what it was at the time I was in my ground blind lol... I didnt move to much when it was going on haha.

2. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had one do it a couple years ago it was cool to hear

3. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That was actually one of the first vocalizations I ever heard. I had no idea what it was until he came up the hill I I saw him doing it while chasing some does. He was a giant 10 that I promptly missed immediately thereafter. Saw him 2 other times but never got another shot. That was the first time I ever got to hunt the rut and got me hooked on bowhunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

4. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just moments before I had a doe blow behind me... with the wind direction I had a feeling she wasnt blowing at me Since I was actually upwind. Then I heard that growl which sounded like it was only 15 yards max from me. I just pretty much froze and texted my buddy who wasnt far from me through the trees up in a tree asking if he could hear the sound. He said yeah how could you not lol.... People have no clue how loud this actually is in person. Guessing he was chasing does around behind me.. but at the time I thought it was some kind of predatory animal. Wish I could have seen the deer at least!

5. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Isn't it great to be able to get out there among them?!?!

It does make you scratch your head for sure till you figure that sound out. Not one anyone could ever forget once they hear it.

6. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've never once heard that sound from a buck. It must be pretty neat. Heck, I've only ever heard a doe bleat on one occasion in all of my years hunting.