Bow Grip on Bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Farmer Brown, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a grip on my bow. I was told to take the grip off because using a grip may cause yourself to accidentally torque when shooting? Any input?

2. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What do you mean by Grip?

3. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    infinite-edge-grip.jpg images.jpg

4. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My old Mission had the Wooden grip and I never felt that it made me torque the bow. I have heard of people removing the Grip so that their hand was only touching the riser and nothing else interfered with their grip. When you said grip I thought that you might have had some of that rubber wrap on it. That stuff I avoid. Your hand needs to be able to slide smoothly on the grip to prevent torque.

5. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I think it depends on the shooter and the style of the grip. For the longest time i shoot with out a grip and i shot well, once i got my new bow it had a grip on it and i took maybe a day or two to get used to it but once i did i shoot the same as i used to if not better.

6. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you "grip" the grip then yeah, you can torque the bow but, if you shoot properly it shouldn't matter much.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It all depends on how you learn to shoot your bow.

8. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Torqueing can happen whether their is an additional grip or not. Once you draw the bow, you shouldn't need to grip it. The draw pressure will hold the bow into your front hand. All your fingers are needed for at that point is to catch the bow after the shot.

Torqueing is a result of trying to compensate or adjust for something when aiming. Usually balance one way or another. When you are at full draw, you should be able to open your front hand completely and the bow should sit naturally balanced. I you have to twist your wrist/hand to get the sight bubble aligned, there is a weight balance issue with your bow and accessories you should address. If you need to tip the bow front or back, it is probably a grip issue.

In the end you want the "grip" to be comfortable to you, and you don't want to have to put any force on it in order to be able to get on target.

9. Bowguy

Bowguy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    image.jpg We teach to hold the bow like a baby bird not squeeze (kill) it. Your knuckles should be at a 45 degree to handle. Whenever students come up w an arm guard I know they have improper grip which puts the forearm in harms way. Even with the proper grip if you hyperextend the wrist joint your forearm is the the way still. You need to be shooting off wristbone w hand cocked. A large grip adds to torquing the grip which will never help, plus a large grip keeps your hand from getting to the correct angle as shown. Basically your drawing bow into web of hand n placing you fingers on the bow.
    To understand this the way I show beginning students is to bend pinky, ring finger in almost like making a light fist, this keeps them to the bow side n the heel of Palm off grip.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016