Arrow shaft diameters?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BackCountryBlades, Sep 23, 2015.

1. BackCountryBlades

BackCountryBlades Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When it comes to arrow diameters I see 340,400, ect. Is this an inch decimal number or what? And what shaft sizes do you guys like using? I'm wanting to get some Easton Axis Full Metal Jackets, I've heard good things. Thanks!

2. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The 340, 400, etc are the spine of the arrow. The spine needs to match up with your bow specs or your arrow won't fly correctly.

3. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Those number really have nothing to do with the diameter of the shaft. The are the spine (stiffness) of the shaft. However I can tell you that smaller diameter shafts penetrate much better but you will usually pay more for them.

4. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As the others have said the numbers you had stated refer to spine of the arrow and need to be matched to your set-up(draw weight, draw length, speed bow, weight of insert and tip/broadhead, etc) as for diameter you have your ultra thin .165 Inside Diameter(ID) Like Easton Injexions, Victory VAPs, Black Eagle Deep Impacts etc, microdiameter .204 arrows like Victory RIP, Easton Axis, Black Eagle Rampages, etc Gold tip makes all these too...then you have your standard diameter like your Carbon Express, Gold tip Pro Hunters, Easton FMJs, etc All have different properties such as toughness, GPI or how heavy or light of an arrow they will build at length. I prefer the micro diameter .204s as they have a good combination of GPI, penetration and ability to cut wind and decent insert options. I have also had experience with Victory VAPs a great arrow with ultra penetration, but I am not a huge fan of their outsert systems available. There are some considerations to building or ordering a set of arrows...I would first start out with knowing what spine you need, then decide on how much you want your arrow to weigh finished with insert and broadhead/tip. The you can research what models from each of the brands will fit your ideal arrow build.

5. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I just re-read your post and realized you were looking at the Easton Axis FMJs...they are a great arrow, but depending on your set-up IMO they finish heavy due to their GPI per spine...so if you don't mind losing a little speed you will get a heavy, very tough, and penetrating arrow. They will be quiet though. For whitetails I feel like that heavy an arrow is overkill but everyone differs. Good luck

6. backwoodsbucks22

backwoodsbucks22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you want to pony up the money, go for the Easton FMJ deep six Injexions. You get all the benefits of FMJ but the ultra micro diameter too. Best hunting arrow available but you're gonna pay $100/6 arrows which is pretty crazy. I only bought them because I sold a bunch of old arrows and easily justified it :) That being said, they are also incredibly accurate. My groups tightened up considerably with these arrows.

7. BackCountryBlades

BackCountryBlades Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Boy was I wrong, thanks everyone for the replies, I will have to do some more research before I make a purchase.

8. BackCountryBlades

BackCountryBlades Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So do you have to use a broad head that will fit that arrow? Could I use regular Rage 2 blade with those shafts?

9. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nope, you will have to buy deep six heads. :) I think the FMJ's are your best bang for your buck. The certainly have the best tolerances and consistency based on my tests.

10. BackCountryBlades

BackCountryBlades Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Cool thank you. Looks like the only broad heads rage makes for the deep six are the hypodermic s @ $44 for 3!! Oh well it will be worth it!

11. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the fmj's, they are the same diameter as the axis. Don't see myself switching arrows any time soon, I love them

12. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The FMJ's are great arrows - they fly exceptionally well and carry good mass to help with pass thru's. The heavier arrow can also aid in flight during breezy conditions.

As mentioned, the number is for spine or arrow stiffness. Remember though, that is for static conditions where a weight is suspended in the middle of the shaft measuring 28" between supports of the shaft. It is important to match the arrow to the application, so check the recommended charts as a starting point. The arrow upon release will deflect or flex/bend much more than the static test with weight.

If you are in the marginal area between shaft sizes for your setup, the next higher up spine rating (340 would be higher than 400) is the way to go. It will help to eliminate some bow/broadhead tuning frustrations.

13. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The 400 or 340 is actually a deflection measurement in inches. .400 is the amount of defection an arrow will have when suspended between 28" centers with a 1.94 lb weight hung from the center.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

14. BackCountryBlades

BackCountryBlades Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info everyone

15. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Look at the Easton Carbon Injexion, I shoot those and they are amazing!! Accurate, micro diameter, great FOC, and most of all durable. Also Deep 6 insert system. I would highly look at getting a half dozen of these based on your shaft length and weight, they may be a better option for you than the FMJ's.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk