Any experience with Stan Shootoff releases?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the market for a new thumb trigger and this is the one I've got my eye on right now. I've been shooting both a Hot Shot Tempest and a Hot Shot Vapor and tend to prefer the "swept" design of the Vapor better. It just seems to fit my hand better and is more comfortable for periods of extended shooting. Unfortunately I've misplaced my Vapor like an idiot so I've been using the Tempest recently. And while I shoot fine with it, there's something that just doesn't quite feel right.

So anyone shot the Shootoff? I'm also looking at the Carter Insatiable 3 which is a similar design.

2. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    stan shootoff guy here.
    how can i help you?...lol

3. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot both. Trigger placement adjustability is better on the Stan. Both are top end releases though.

If your looking at Stan, the Just X has a better (IMHO) sear setup in it and has a shorter profile neck. I prefer the shorter style neck on a short ATA bow. It's not as swept back as the Shootoff? though.

Unless someone releases something between now and then that I really like I'm probably going to hunt with a Just X this year.

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have a Just X now? I'd love to shoot one to see what I think before buying.

5. jetboysixx

jetboysixx Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just picked up the Stan SX3 a month ago and love it. I typically wear a large glove but the medium release fit my hand perfect and the large was huge. I tried several at my local bow shop and I didn't care for the shoot off. The only difference in the shoot off compared to the SX3 is the more swept design of the shoot off. Both have the same internals and silk path sears and the trigger is the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    I have one on the way. It'll be here this weekend of you want to try it.

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

8. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a Stan SX3 ( in medium & large) a Shootoff and a JustX. Sold all but the JustX. I tried a bunch of other handhelds as well but the quality of the Stans is noticeable.

I thought you guys were sponsored by HotShot?

ETA: I do have my JustX for sale. Not hocking it trying to get a sale with this but I think I shoot better with a wrist strap. I'm not comfortable with my anchor with a handheld and put a little too much face into the string. Although I do think it's easier to draw with a handheld. Can I fix this with a form change? Yes. Do I want to? No. I came to the conclusion that archery in general and hunting is supposed to be fun and relaxing to me. Not fretting over what the other guys at 3D are saying or some keyboard Levi Robin Hood. I shot a strap well with back tension and going back to it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Were being the key word. I liked my Vapor a lot, and would probably still be shooting it if I knew where the darn thing ran off to. :mad: Figured since I'm in the market I'd try something else out. Stan's been on my short list to look at for awhile now.

10. DickensCPA

Dislikes Received:
    TBH I kinda wanted to try a Vapor before completely ditching handheld.

11. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a Scott Exxus for about a year.....until I got my hands on a Stan SX3. I tried a used Shootoff and frankly didn't care for the swept back design, but the SX3 was just "WOW!" when I first tried it. All I have shot (except a used SX2 I picked up pretty reasonably on AT) in the past year with NO plans to make any changes. Unlike the fellow above, I very much disliked a wrist release and would NEVER go back. The minor form and bow changes to shoot the hand held were more than worth it in repeatability and accuracy.

12. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't see it listed in the classifieds.

13. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    No kidding. I wish I saw this a couple days ago before I ordered a new one.

14. DickensCPA

Dislikes Received:
    It's in Archery Talk's classifieds. I'll post it in the classifieds here as well.

15. MAD 6

MAD 6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a Stan Shootoff a couple weeks back - $169 from Eders, real nice release.

16. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just purchased the Stan SX3 Heavy Metal from Eders. Can't wait for it to get here.

17. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Nice, I had one of their SX2's back in the day right after the Copper John guys bought the company. It was a great release at the time, and the SX3 is very similar if I remember correctly with a few extras plus an improved sear design.

18. henson59

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah in a lot of the reviews I read everyone seemed to favor the heavier model over the standard sx3. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

It's funny I didn't worry about my release until I got into a 5 spot league at my local shop. Now any little improvement I can make I am all for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

19. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    I also prefer heavier releases. For target stuff right now I'm shooting the matching Abyss and Fulkrum releases which are both brass. They are the best releases I've shot personally, I love how I can move the head on them to exactly where I want them for perfect anchor point.

If the Abyss was a closed hook style I'd shoot it for hunting as well, that's the only reason I'm not using it and went with the Just X instead. When filming, you need to be able to both run the camera and run the release with that same hand so it's a lot easier if you can just leave the release hanging and attached to the loop at all times.

20. henson59

Dislikes Received:
    Well I have had my SX3 Heavy Metal for two days now and I love it! I have the thumb trigger set up for me and I adjusted the tension. I will say that I need to work on being aware of my thumb placement when I am drawing my bow back (let two arrows fly on accident). But I can already see a difference in my groups. The weight of the release is definitely a plus. I feel like I anchor better and just having a heavier release feels better in my hand.