Best lighted nocs

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bowhunter628, Feb 11, 2017.

1. bowhunter628

bowhunter628 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I'm looking into buying some lighted nocs and wanted some input on some different brands. Any input is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I only shoot Luminox because they are simple to shut off when practicing with your arrows set up how you hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I've always had good luck with my lumenocks as well. When I shot carbon express Pile Drivers, they were a little iffy because the shaft didn't conduct as well. For practice with lumenocks, I've squirted a little caulking into my factory nocks until they were the same weight as the lumenock, worked well.

The nocturnals were nice, but never found them very easy to turn off.

4. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Red/orange lights are the easiest to see from a far distance simply because those wavelengths travel the furthest in the atmosphere, that is the reason sunset are those colors. So from a far distance in daylight those are the colors that are most easy to see. Up close our eyes have a green preference, probably because that is the color of plant life and we have been genetically programmed to prefer that color. But in the dark when we use mostly the rods in our eyes then green are easiest to see regardless of distance. That is because rods only exist in one type vs cones that come in 3 for color vision. So we can only generate a contrast eg black and white vision in the dark. Since the eyes are only stimulated naturally by white light (the only color generally existing in nature at night from the moon), that is the reason we have only one type of rods for night vision. So when the eyes get exposed to unnatural light sources of a different color the cones being mostly inactive needs to start generating new chemicals to start sending signals to the brain. And since we have evolved to have a preference for the green spectrum, the chemical levels in the cones needed for the brain to perceive the green spectrum or the red green spectrum will happen first and be the strongest signal to the brain. For that reason we perceive green the brightest and most easy to see in the dark.

However since green also generate the highest levels of chemicals in the cones it also takes the longest time to go down after exposure meaning it will take longer time for strong night vision to come back after exposure. So if you depend on night vision capability it is recommended to have a red or violet lume, it will be perceived as weaker than green because they will not generate the same levels of chemicals so the signal to the brain will be weaker. But those colors are the best compromise if you need good night vision capability.

So in general for instance if you are a night time hunter or security guard then red/violet would be best, if want a show piece and a watch that you will be able to to tell the time fastest when opening your eyes after sleep then green is the way to go.

Hope this helps

Brad

5. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm shooting Nocturnals. Consistent weight although I weighed them as slightly heavier than advertised. They turn on consistently when shot, but I have had a couple that turned on in the quiver from vibration I guess. Maybe I didn't turn them off completely. Had one that didn't fit well. Nockturnal offered to replace them, I just didn't bother to send them in since I needed some to practice with and it was the middle of the season.

6. Point78

Point78 Newb

Dislikes Received:
  7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use the nocturnals, they seem to work well. They made the difference in finding a deer last fall.

8. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    have only used nucturnals. shot a red through a turkey and it did help locate the arrow afterwards. have a package of blue but no experience with them yet.

9. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot Nockturnals as well. I like them and they do as they're intended. I did have a couple not turn on but overall they're pretty consistent. I like that the components are self contained inside the nock and there isn't a bunch of mess going down into the arrow. Plus, they're one of the lightest options out there for those looking at higher FOC configurations for a hunting arrow.

10. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nocturnal for years

11. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a nocturnal turn on on the way to a stand one early morning and so I stop the tip of a broadhead into the hole to try to shut it off and when I did the Nock shot off the arrow:(
    Not cool.

I started using Luminox ever since but bought a pack of the Nocturnals couple of months ago because I heard they made some improvements and have a new plastic hook that shuts off the light. But it was the same issues PITA.
    I just gave them all away.

12. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nockturnals here as well

13. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The lumenocks allow for battery changes while nocturnals are use em and done. Down side to lumenocks is if you hit something hard the shock could jar the nock back shutting it off. Nocturnals I have not had that issue with. Either of those two though would be my choice in regards to price and reliability. If you go with the lumenocks buy the batteries in bulk off EBAY much cheaper than getting them with the lumenock brand.

14. mississippi hoyt shooter

mississippi hoyt shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nockturnals all the way

15. Planopurist

Dislikes Received:
    I do wish Nockturnal batteries were replaceable.

16. Velvetbuck

Velvetbuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like nockturnals if I'm shooting lighted nocks but usually I'm shooting aluminums . I like aluminum nocks alot better they don't break when hit and they keep your arrows from damaging. I hate it when you break a lighted nock being there 25 bucks for 3 and I can get 12 aluminum nocks for 20 and they don't break.

17. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've only shot Nocturnals. They can be a bit tricky to turn off but I've never had one fail to turn on. Quick story from me.... Shot at a hog and missed with one shot. Arrow buried in tall grass and couldn't find it even in pitch dark. Over 5 weeks later in the same stand after some rain knocked down the tall grass I looked over and there was my arrow with a bright blue light on the end of it. Yep, the nock was still lit up. I don't believe it was on the whole time but it was at that moment and I found my arrow. Sent a note to Nocturnal via their website and they said thanks and sent 3 me new nocks free of charge without asking. Hard to beat that. Unless I have any issues in the future, I'll keep shooting them.

It would be nice to have a practice mode but I save the old ones when the battery runs out and use them.

18. bowhunter628

bowhunter628 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone ever use nock out lighted nocks? I've been doing some pretty solid research on this brand and I really enjoy the fact that they come setup for practice shots. They have a collar that is twistable and puts them into practice or hunting mode. Any input on other brands like lumenok or nocturnal on the ease of turning on and off?

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

19. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I looked seriously at the Nock Outs too but just haven't found a reason yet to change from Nocturnals. I do like the lock-out option as you mentioned and this was the main reason I was looking at them.

20. Planopurist

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly what I plan to do. I hate that they dim over time as I practice with them. I'm shooting plastic nocks with nock bushings this offseason to get a little closer to the weight of the Nocturnal.