Halon 32 axle to axle question ???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Velvetbuck, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Velvetbuck

Velvetbuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a new halon 32 6 and I put new strings on it americas best platinums and the closet I can get to ata is 32 and 3/16 but it tunes right up and everything. Is anyone else like this ? Can someone possibly messure there's and tell me what yours is at. If I add a half twist to all cables and string it goes under32 by 2 to 3 mm. Thanx for any help possible..

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  2. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What poundage do you have it set at? If your limbs are not bottomed out this will affect your axle to axle length from factory specs. However, ATA will vary slightly from bow to bow as well. If it is close and it tunes / shoots well you are gtg.

3. Velvetbuck

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I talked to mathews they recommend using no other strings besides there's . they said there having issues with this alot on custom sets because it can be serving size or thread count causing this and they recommend only using factory strings no other companies cause there seeing bows derail cause of this issue and also they said the custom sets are making them lose 4 to 6 pounds when bottomed out. Can anyone messure there's to see where it's at with your custom set thanx.

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing against Mathews - but of course that's what they are going to say. If I called Ford and asked them about the aftermarket turbo charger I put on my Ecoboost they're going to tell me they don't recommend doing that and to only use Ford parts....

I'm running ABB Platinum strings on both my Halon and Halon 32 without a single issue. As Buckeye said - when looking at ATA you need to measure it when the bow is bottomed out. Both of my bows, with ABB strings, bottom out around 71 lbs. I certainly didn't lose any draw weight.

5. Velvetbuck

Dislikes Received:
    My limbs are bottomed out and my draw stops hit perfectly and it shoots great and tunes great besides the 3cm in the ata but mathews said as long as it's shooting and tuning fine I shouldn't have any issues but I'm still curious if anyone else's is like this especially with abb platinums thanx

6. Velvetbuck

Dislikes Received:
    Can you messure your ata mines right at 32 and 3/16 what is your at with the platinums thanx .

7. Velvetbuck

Dislikes Received:
    I came post a pic of the ata if you'd like to see
    [​IMG]

8. Velvetbuck

Dislikes Received:
    See its at 32 and almost 3/16 long

9. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not an issue as thats still in spec and as long as it tunes fine you're good. Good choice ditching the zebras.

10. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    3cm is more than an inch?

I'm seeing on that tape that it's between 1/8" and 3/16" long. If the draw length fits you, the cams are coming around at the same time, and the letoff weight is correct, you are good to go.

I've got ABB Platinum's on my Halon X and it's got the correct draw weight and letoff, and I tweaked the cables a bit to get the perfect draw length for me.......it's a bit out of spec too for ATA but the bow broadhead tunes with field points out to 60 yards and now I've got it setup for open class 3D, and it absolutely pounds the way it's setup.

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    What sort of fancy tape measure are you using there? Mine only reads in Standard, not Standard and Metric. :lol: I think you mean it's reading it at 32 3/16", not 32 and 3 cm.

I don't have my bows at the office, but when I get to them I'll check ATA and see what it looks like. As others have said - so long as cam timing it right and the tune is good the exact ATA length down to the 1/16th of an inch really doesn't matter.

12. Velvetbuck

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it is I'm sorry for that that's why I posted the pic lol thanx for the help guys

13. Velvetbuck

Dislikes Received:
    Ok just talked to America's best they said it's not an issue being mathews has a quarter inch tolerance so as long as it tunes up and draw stops are hitting same and I'm getting bullet holes they said to just leave it and not worry about it

14. Velvetbuck

Dislikes Received:
    I know the hoyts and elites tune up like this also with a quarter inch tolerance but I didn't know mathews did being they never tell you anything and keep it all hush hush

Mine is at 32 and almost 3/16 of an inch long

15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Back to the topic of aftermarket strings in general - I'm sure Mathews, and all bow companies, have seen and heard horror stories from people using aftermarket strings. Either the individual installing them not knowing what they are doing, or buying from a "custom string builder" that they found somewhere online. There's a lot of places to get custom strings these days, and they aren't all created equal. So buyer beware when it comes to this type of stuff. You want to make sure you're working with a reputable company or business who knows what they are doing and stands behind their products. Not some random dude in his basement with a home made string builder and a couple spools of fiber. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

Not to toot ABB's horn too much, but they build top quality strings that will rival anything else out there on the market. I'm on my 3rd set of them on 3 different bows in the past two years and I haven't had a single issue with the string stretching or twisting. There's also zero indication of any serving separation on any of my bows. I really couldn't be any happier with their products.

16. Velvetbuck

Dislikes Received:
    I love the platinums and never had an issue in 5 years of using them in till now but I don't see this as an issue really just wanted to get some advise to see if anyone else's is like this but thanx everyone

17. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You are definitely gtg based on you photo if it is shooting well. When tuning you should be more concerned with cam timing, draw weight and let off. Axle to axle isn't all that critical.

Though for accuracy, how are you measuring the axle to axle length? There are three ways to measure it...Bottom of axle to bottom of axle, center of axle to center of axle or top of axle to top of axle.

18. Velvetbuck

Dislikes Received:
    I'm measuring from center or axle to center of axle and it its 32 3/16 almost

19. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a brand new set of Zebra Trophy strings on my bow and have serving separation in at least 3 different spots.

20. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    That's why I have ABB's on mine now. :chewy:

Tags: