6 or 7 Inch Brace Height?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tecfall, Jan 30, 2017.

1. tecfall

tecfall Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I hope I'm not "beating a dead horse " with this post, but I am just trying to get some input before buying my new bow. I have always shot a 7 inch brace height, but I just recently shot a Xcursion 6 and 7 and really couldn't tell much of a difference. I'm not opposed to going to a 6 inch BH, but my ONLY concern is wearing a bulky jacket when it is cold outside. Or when shooting in awkward positions. Is 1 inch enough to make any difference in these situations? Or am I better keeping it safe with the 7 inch BH? I know both of these bows have string stops, but can this still make a difference? The 6 shoots at 358 fps and the 7 shoots at 348 fps. And my draw length is 29". Just curious if anyone has any experience on this matter.

Thanks!

2. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Speed is over rated. I will take the forgiveness in a hunting situation that a 7" BH bow provides any day over a few extra FPS.

3. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer the most forgiving bow I can shoot. I have a 7" Halon. I admittedly don't have the best form... throw in adrenaline and adverse weather while hunting and I want something that is forgiving and comfortable. I shoot 3d etc just to get hunting practice and reps in... I want to make it count when it matters to me... I'd rather sacrifice a little speed myself.
    Just my opinion.

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    AMEN! I have long stopped caring what my bows or ones I'm looking at IBO or what my set up speeds are...DON'T even care a little.

5. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm also a 7" only shooter. But, I will say this is a bit more complicated than just the brace height being the sole factor in how well you shoot a bow. Bow geometry, ATA, riser design, etc also have a big part. I had a bow years ago with a 7 1/2" brace, but it was only 30 ATA. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with that bow no matter what I did. I've also shot 6 1/2" brace bows lights out, but they were longer ATA.

The main reason I shoot 7" brace bows only now days is because of clothing clearance in hunting season. But, with the use of a string stop, could probably get away with shorter brace heights now. But, I've found that my perfect sweet spot, for my draw length, anchor point, etc, is a 7" brace, 32-33 ATA. I seem to be able to shoot any bow in that spec range very well.

You also have to remember that the speed difference between a 6" and 7" brace height is usually on the number of 10 FPS, often times less with todays technology. You can almost always make up most of that speed by fudging draw weight, arrow weight, etc. 10 FPS is not significant whatsoever in real world applications.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Best advice I can offer is this and its really nothing new. Put on a bulky jacket like what you would hunt in and go shoot both bows. Shoot for groups. If you can maintain accuracy get the one that feels best. If not get the most accurate one. Obviously speed does not matter if you can't hit what you are aiming at. Good luck and let us know what you do.

7. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Guaranteed you will not notice the 10fps, but you will notice the 1" less in brace height.

8. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Which do you shoot better?

I find that with todays bows, unless it is a real speed bow, with aggressive cams, I can shoot most of them just fine. I don't like an aggressive cam much for sitting and then shooting cold and I worry way more about that then brace height.

9. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    7"

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

10. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot one with a 7.5" brace height.
    So I'm going to say I'd take the 7 over the 6. I need all the forgiveness I can get. Along the lines of what elk said, if you are going to being shooting "cold" it is nice to have the forgiveness. I'm way more worried about accuracy, than I am about fast. Quiet and accurate is what I'm looking for, not necessarily how fast I get there.

11. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You have to also understand what the bow companies are doing here in terms of design. Take any of these 6" brace bows and subtract 10fps from their speed. I'm seeing a lot of 330ish FPS, 6" brace bows out there that if given an inch of brace would most likely only see 320 fps IBO at best. This is not ground breaking speed at all. What they're doing is using milder draw curves on the cams, but making up speed by shortening the brace heights. So now you have to ask yourself, do I want a bit stiffer draw, but more forgiving 7" brace at 335 fps, or a milder drawing, less forgiving 6" brace height at 335 fps? Clothing during hunting season is also a big factor when it comes to brace heights as well.

In my opinion, if I"m going to sacrifice brace height, it better haul the mail in the speed department.

12. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well said muzzy.

13. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    a 6" bh bow can be just as forgiving as a 7" bh.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  14. Onetrakryder

Onetrakryder Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting interview kgtech. Not sure what really denotes a forgiving bow. It used to mean the arrow left the string a bit sooner and you couldn't screw it up with form or outside influence (see here bulky clothing). OP if I told you I had a hunting bow for you that has an IBO speed of 348 fps and didn't mention brace height I think you'd be happy. At least a couple years ago you would have. The latest tech isn't always the best. It's just the latest. Give yourself a buffer. My Obsession K34 gives similar speed to my son's Elite Judge. Couldn't pay me to give up mine for his. It shows up in the shooting.

15. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    "Forgiving" is a term thrown around to sell bows. It means absolutely nothing in real shooting use because it can't be quantified.

More forgiving than what? Last year's model, the competition's low end model, the wheel bows made in the 70's?

If you're looking for forgivness, go to church. If you are looking for a bow that you can shoot well, try out several different models with several different configurations and pick what fits and feels the best for you.

That being said, I prefer a 7" or higher brace. Not because I specifically chose that height but because the bows that shot well and felt comfortable have all happened to be that way.

16. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The bows nowadays are not like the bows back in the early 2000s. I own a halon 5tatical custom and Im pretty consistent at 3d target on a treestand.

17. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    stop and think about this

what happen if you shoot a bow 1" longer than you're draw length?....................the string slaps your forearm.....ouch!!

so if the op get the right draw length he will not have to worry about the string hitting his bulky coat.

18. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I doubt it will slap your forearm. I've own all the mathews brand bows since 2008.

19. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    try shooting a bow with a draw length that is to long for you. then report back to me you're finding.

(you'll bow arm will be over extended. putting the forearm in the path of the bow string)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  20. MasterHunter

MasterHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    not as forgiving with a 6 compared to 7.