How do you keep your toes warm?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by alfarah50, Jan 16, 2017.

1. alfarah50

alfarah50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sat in the stand for 12 hours yesterday.. 2 pairs of socks, toe warmers in between, and 1000g boots.. I was ready to tap out by 2pm. Any suggestions that aren't gna cost me 100+ dollars?

2. Frankiecruzer

Frankiecruzer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  3. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Late season all days sits are brutal and usually not that productive. Save your money on the gadgets and get out of the stand for a couple hours and warm up. Hell I don't even sit the mornings in late season anymore!

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  5. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have these. They are awesome.
    Not only do they offer another layer of stand off from conduction between your boots and the metal stand and wind, you can also drop a bunch of warmers in there for the stupid cold days.
    They weigh nothing and they allow me to wear just a uninsulated or lightly 200g hiker out to the stand and not lose my piggies down to the teens. Probably be too hot if I wore a heavier boot.

6. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thermocell heated insoles have worked well for me in the past but do cost the proverbial 100 bucks, or close to it.

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    First off, ditch the rubber boots if you're wearing them. Rubber is good for not letting scent out, but it's also good for not letting moisture out. When your feet sweat while walking in, then you sit motionless for hours on end, that's a recipe for cold feet.

Also, if you're using rubbers you can forget about toe warmers working for any reasonable length of time. They need air to activate them and when the air runs out in your boots they go cold.

Next, get rid of the ultra heavy 1000+ grams of insulation. It makes your boots heavier and bulkier. I stick with 600-800 gram boots.

Also, get rid of the multiple pairs of socks. One good pair of mid to heavy weight Merino wool socks is all I wear these days. Two pairs of socks does next to nothing to keep you any warmer, and just makes your boots fit tighter and restricts both air and blood flow, which both kill heat to your toes.

Finally, get a pair of those Arctic Shield boot covers and a few disposable hand warmers. Put the covers on after you get into your stand and toss the warmers on the top side of your boots. I've even used a big rubber band to hold them in place if need be. The majority of your veins run on the top of your foot down into your toes so that's what you need to keep warm. Forget about putting the warmer right on your toes.

Do that and you'll have an easier walk in, an easier climb up, and a much more enjoyable sit in cold weather. :tu:

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great advice!!

9. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do as Justin outlined. I have 5 sits this year in temps between -15 to 10 degrees. I use a leather boot that's got 400gr of Thinsulate, a heavy weight Smartwool sock, and once in the stand if it's single digits or below I throw on a pair of Hotmocs with the disposable warmer in the velcro pocket above my feet. My toes never get cold, usually it's my hands or face that I have problems with in those temps. Plus it's so much easier to hike where I need to with a good quality hiking boot vs. a huge bulky rubber or pac type of boot.

10. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I remember freaking out when I forgot to bring my 1200g thinsulate rubbers down to the farm and all I had was my cabelas whitetail extreme with 600g thinsulate. I think the highs were in the teens if my memory serves me correctly. My feet never even began to get remotely cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

11. Fullrut1

Fullrut1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The boots I where when the temp drops are a half size bigger then what I usually wear. I only wear one heavy merino wool sock. Like Justin said, wearing two pair only makes your boots fit tighter. You need a little space in there to trap warm air. I hunt coyotes at night in temps down to -20 and my feet stay plenty warm all night.

12. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Keep your head, face, and neck warmer on stand, and your feet will stay warmer too. Stay dry by walking in lightly dressed, and bundle up once on stand. I also walk into the stand in sneakers and cotton socks, and change into dry wool socks and my hunting boots once in the stand.

13. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Moisture is what makes your feet cold. Was mentioned a few times in the previous posts. Keep your feet dry and they will stay warm. You won't like my way of keeping my feet dry so I won't even mention it.

14. jd2206

jd2206 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Arctic Shield boot warmers........work great and not bulky at all lime the "boot blankets"

15. Tmpky

Tmpky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    These work great.. Some times i have to shut them off to the point of getting too hot but never had cold feet.

16. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some good advice so far. when getting to zero or below, I have a light pair of liner socks next to the skin that wick away moisture. with toe warmers attached to the bottom of those. Wool socks over them. pair of 800g 9" high lace up boots 1/2 size bigger than normal. I make sure the lower laces on the top of the foot are not cinched to make sure there is the air space to keep the feet warm. I cinch the top 4 laces that go up the leg tight.

Often people say their feet are getting cold at the end of a long sit and try to add another layer or warmer boots only to still end up with their feet "getting cold" Much of the reason for that is that their core is starting to get cold and the body is adjusting. Try not having the 2nd layer of socks and also use a body warmer "hand warmer" that you can stick to your base layer to keep your core warmer.

ckempo likes this.
  17. Deerslayer214

Deerslayer214 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    One thing I try to do when it's cold is just stand up. When you set down to long it's like setting on the pot at the house watching an episode of BH or Die. Next thing you know it's time to get up and you can't walk. Low blood flow to the the old leg. It will make you cold and make your wife ask you why your just standing there in front of the toilet for ten min.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

18. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like others said keeping your feet and toes warm is about circulation and maintaining heat. Your feet need to be able to breathe yet still insulated to keep heat in. Merino wool is great for this. Keeping your feet from sweating is also key. If you are like me and have sweaty feet use a good foot powder to absorb the moisture. More than likely my guess is that the toe warmers are making your feet sweat and that is why they are getting cold. Managed that and I think what you have should be fine.

Two pairs of socks really are no better than one if they are not the right material to wick away moisture from your skin. Good luck. :tu:

19. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

for late season this post is exactly what you do. last two hours in the evening is all you need unless trail cams tell you different.

20. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I tried a body warmer in my base layer back pocket in my shirt for the first time when it was 10 degrees out and I was amazed I could actually sit there without any gloves. I was in disbelief the difference. and my feet never got cold either.