Boot help! Lacrosse or Muck???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by OkieArrowSlinger, Jan 4, 2017.

1. OkieArrowSlinger

OkieArrowSlinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Getting ready to pull the trigger on some new hunting boots. Right now I have a pair of Rockys (400g) that are very comfortable but my feet freeze in temps below 40 degrees even with thick wool socks. Honestly, I don't do a lot of hunting in temps much below 30 but I want to go with a insulated rubber/neoprene boot. Right now, I'm looking at Muck Woody Max ($125 on sale at cabelas), Lacrosee aeroheads 7mm ($99 on sale at Cabelas), & Lacrosse Alphaburlys (around $170-180 from what I'm seeing most places). I've got a $50 gift card to Academy where I can get the Mucks and $55 in points I can use at Cabelas. Comfort and warmth are my priorities here. Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

2. JMann11

JMann11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Woody Max, and they are the greatest purchase I have ever made. They are comfortable and warm in the winter. I wear mine all year round, from turkey hunting to deer hunting. I've walked 18 miles in one day in them and my feet were never sore. Just make sure you get the right size, as they fit a little big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've had several pairs of both and Lacrosse is far and away much much much much better than Muck. Muck can go muck themselves.

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I HATE rubberized/Neo boots for hunting after switching to Danner's but between the two I'm going Lacrosse.

I bought 3 pairs of Mucks mis-priced on Amazon for CHEAP before they caught em and they're "okay"

5. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think having 2 pair of boots are important. An early/mid-season pair and a late season pair. I've learned that in the real cold days, having tight boots just keeps your feet cold. You need a little breathing room around your winter socks and you'll be able to sit more comfortably.

So I end up with a size that fits right in mid season but a size bigger for late season. I know this wasn't your question, but I battled cold feet for years.

I ended up with arctic pro mucks for winter, which is overkill, but my feet stay warmer longer. A lot of money but it keeps me in stand longer.

I like the mucks because of the flex around the back of the leg.

6. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    400g and wool should be plenty to keep feet warm down to 30 degrees. Unless the boots are not sized correct. If they are tight they will not keep your feet warm correctly. Biggest mistake people make with boots is they size and try them on with regular socks, cinch the laces tight. Than when they actually use them they add an additional layer of wool, and the boots become to tight and don't work right.

this is another reason I prefer lace up high boots. I have two pair of boots. One non-insulated 8" the other 9" 800g, I start with just socks and the non-insulated, as the temps drop I add the wool, when I do I loosen the lower laces so they are not to tight, and I can still cinch the laces on the upper leg to keep them tight. That way the boots and wool work best.

7. ksWThntr

ksWThntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had the mucks and they were great, but over a day of sitting on stand in freezing temperatures my feet got cold first. The rubber sole tends to suck the cold off the platform of my stand. The aeroheads are a different material and my feet stay much warmer for much longer.

8. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love and have loved all of my Lacrosse... I do not care for the muck boots personally...
    but my friends all prefer muck... so.... who knows!

9. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wear my lacrosse aeroheads from October all the way to muzzleloader in December. I do most of my hunting out of a tree stand so I don't move around too much. During mid season with thin athletic socks my feet will start to sweat, very warm boot.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  10. Beetle Bailey

Beetle Bailey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know much about Lacrosse, but I love my Muck wetland boots, I sat in my stand for 3 hours in 20 degrees and my feet didn't get cold. Dancers are also a good choice.
    But as far as warmth I've always had luck with a rubber style waterproof boot. And on real cold sits I wear a cheep pair of fleece slippers as a boot liner...

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

11. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have Lacrosse 3.5mm Aeroheads and they are great. I like them down to about 35 then I want something more. Lowest temp I can recall is 16 and they do well with hand warmers and two pairs of socks. I have to rotate the hand warmers to get the heat back but it works pretty well.
    My feet seem to stay cold so this may not fit everyone's idea.
    I wear normal everyday socks when walking to the stand then swap out for a dry pair merino wool. That usually does the trick.
    I am most likely going with the Alpha Burlys next and keep the Aeroheads for Turkey/Early deer season. My vote is Lacrosse.

12. ruteger

ruteger Guest

-

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020
  13. OkieArrowSlinger

OkieArrowSlinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input so far guy's. I went to the local bass pro to try some boots on a little while ago. By far, the most comfortable boots were the Lacrosse Aeroheads. Extremely lightweight and fit like a glove. And wouldn't you know it, Cabela's is out of stock in my size. They have the 3.5mm in stock and I'm tempted to snatch them up for early-mid season, but I don't think they would be real warm and I would really prefer the 7mm neoprene.

The Muck Woody Max were pretty comfortable and I think would work well with a thick pair of socks. This would be my second choice so far and probably work just fine.

The alphaburlys looked like a quality boot, especially like the side zipper, but didn't fit my foot very well. A lot of movement inside the boot and not much arch support at all. Seems like these run a little big also. Probably should've tried a size smaller but was in a hurry.

14. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I got the woody max for Christmas and love them. Found them on sale at the tractor supply. I tried all the others on but liked the muck boots the best.

15. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Lacrosse!! Thats all i`m saying

16. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I went with the 3.5mm for the same reason. Be patient unlike I did and get the 7mm. Your feet will thank you for it.

17. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like Lacrosse better. Much better fit.

18. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I own both muck and lacrosse, and hunted out of both of them this year. I prefer Muck boots. I like the comfort and warmth I get out of them. I have also hiked with both of them during shed season, and the muck felt better to me after a long days hike.

19. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have hunted with and own / owned both Mucks and Lacrosse Aeroheads. Night now, I have Mucks for warmer weather and the aeroheads for colder times.

I'm not sure what your hunts look like however, there are a few things you should be aware of with either boot. If you walk long distances to your stand, you will sweat a lot...even if you don't think your feet sweat. The mucks have a liner where the Aeroheads do not. This makes it feel like there is less moisture in the Mucks however, I do not believe it is the case.There can be so much wetness that changing socks helps however, your new socks will eventually be damp, then cold when in below freezing temps. Last week I walked a few miles in 6 inches of snow and was able to ring water out of my socks after the hunt. This could be compounded in my case by the heat not being able to escape up the boot opening. Normally my extra socks and pants are blocking heat from escaping.

I wear the Aeroheads most in the cold season. Walk 1.5 miles in, change socks and my feet will still get cold fairly quickly if the temp is below 30 and I am sitting for more than 2 hours. You can easily put toe warmers in because there is plenty of room in the boot. If you don't sit for long periods of time, you will never get cold! I will say the comfort of the Aeroheads are outstanding. Love them while walking. Easy on and off, no blisters, etc.

For me, even the Muck arctic (previously had) did not feel any less or more warm. They were comfortable as well but, I give the edge to the Aeroheads, minus not having a thin fuzzy liner.

Both boots felt light on the feet for me.

You can not beat the ability to tackle a foot of snow or walking through streams / swamps, etc. For me, these situations alone make the rubber boot worth the sweat build-up.

I also have a pair of Danners for short hunts in warmer weather where no water is involved.

20. Ryan Slingerland

Ryan Slingerland Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've had a pair of muck boots for 5 or 6 years now. They are a nice light and comfy boot but I didn't find them very warm at all. They are starting to leak now to, but they've been through 6 rough seasons. I've never tried lacross boots but I'd make sure you find something warm. Nothing sucks more that cold feet in the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums