I'm in quite a bind .. HELP

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by alfarah50, Dec 21, 2016.

1. alfarah50

alfarah50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So i recently gained permission to hunt a new property. There is deer sign everywhere, the landowner told me that the deer come off the adjacent property and feed on his land (corn is still standing). I was walking the land doing some scouting and noticed that the property where the deer travel from is heavily posted and it borders the property that i have permission to hunt. There is a woodlot maybe the size of 2 football fields that the deer bed in. I noticed a stand hung right on the tree-line where my mouse cursor is on the picture below. The only way to hang a stand relatively close to the corn is to get permission from the neighboring landowner to hang a stand on his property since he owns the timber. I stopped over to ask and he told me he does not mind but he lets a guy manage his property and hunt it so he would have the final say-so and that he would have the guy call me. So skip to today, he calls. I begin to tell him right away that i have zero intentions of hunting on the property he hunts, all i simply want to do is hang a set somewhere along the treeline that divides the property and i told him i would not be no where near him. He then goes on to tell me he is the only person to hunt there and that it is his sanctuary and only place to hunt and told me that he does not want me hanging a stand anywhere on the woodline (keep in mind he has permission to hunt the land i have permission to hunt as well). He said he has put a lot of time into that property and doesn't want anyone hunting besides himself. I then go on to tell him that i have permission to hunt the bordering property and that i was reaching out to him just to show respect rather then setting up a ground blind 50 yards away and wait for the deer to come off his property. He starts to get ****ty with me and pretty much makes it clear that he does not care what i do as long as i don't hang a stand on the treeline.. i even offered him some money AND even told him i only want to hunt a day or two and that we could coordinate to hunt opposite days of each other and he still turned it down.

It just upsets me. He made it very clear that there is at least a nice buck in there and that makes me eager to hunt there but at the end of the day i am a respectful hunter and don't want to step on his toes and hunt by him. There isn't many places to hang a stand because the property i hunt is mostly cropland so I'm in a pickle. Do i setup a ground blind on the top of the hill by him or do i settle for a mediocre spot and hang a stand else where?? By all means i am following the law and i have permission to hunt my side of the woodlot but he isn't helping making my decision any easier. although if i were him i may do the same thing, its just tough to swallow.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?? Copy and paste the link below into ur browser, it's a screenshot of the layout.. my cursor is where he has a stand setup and the only standing corn is the squarish patch and s shaped bend next to his stand.

file://localhost/Users/josiemcgonigle/Documents/IMG_0450.jpg
    IMG_0450.jpg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  2. Uncle Bucky

Uncle Bucky Newb

Dislikes Received:
    couldn't see the image, but I'd probably put up a ground blind.. you tried to make it civil, but seem she does't want that.

I would also say this.. maybe he has had a lot of problems in the past... I have a property I used to hunt all the time that I barely hunt now because of all the headaches from neighboring hunters and their inability to respect property lines. So last season I had someone contact me and said they are hunting on both sides of me.. Seemed cool and all, in fact I was kind of happy that it was only one dude and not God knows who ... Then comes season and he post a doe he shot, after he told me he only buck hunts, and the picture of the dead doe is on our property and he says it only ran 30 yards and died, and the deer is laying 40 yards from one of my stands.... top it off there isn't a tree on the property he hunts within 90 yards or so that he could even try to get a stand it... needless to say I am sure he probably just retrieved the deer, but in one of our preseason talks I told him to call first because Bob ( landowner) has everyone arrested that doesn't call first ( he has had problems for 20 years and is hardball now)

Well I am sorry you couldn't work something out, you tried , pop up a blind, get some corn and "corn stalk" it in real well and shoot the big buck....

Good luck

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Whitetail hunting has become such a petty tit for tat **** show.

4. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As long as you don't anger the owner that gave you permission, I'd set up a blind if there's no other way to get within range.

5. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tell the landowner what happened and let him know that your only option will be to set up a ground blind.

Now get out there and shoot the "BIG" buck!

6. takemrarely

takemrarely Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunt what you have permission for any legal way you want and don't worry about that other guy.....

7. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, if the guy was being a major **** head. I'd hunt the land you have permission hard and hope that the buck he is after steps onto the land your hunting.

I'm so sick of guys being major ****s when a guy tries to do the right thing and be respectful which is sounds like you did the right thing. If i was you, that guy could take a flying leap off a cliff cuz now i'm hunting your deer.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  8. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This...

9. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can only hunt what land you have and don't worry how the other guy hunts. It's his property to hunt. I wouldn't burn any bridges over it, because if you shot a deer you know where it will go! Right into the other guys property, then you will have problems. The guy was clear on what he was doing and nothing you can do. If he is treating it like a sanctuary, he may not let you in there to even recover a deer. All things you should find out before you start hunting it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

10. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You got permission to hunt the area at the top of the photo? I'd set a stand in that finger of woods, or the woods up at the very top near that road. I would not mess with the guy hunting next door, put yourself in his shoes for a minute, you know, the whole do unto others thing. Don't do anything that may cost you permission next season.

11. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't really have a huge problem with the guy you contacted. He said he has no problem with hunting anywhere on other side, but doesn't want you in the trees on land that he manages and hunts. He also told you about a big buck in the area which leads me to believe this guy isn't that bad.

The tone of the conversation could have been worse than I'm reading, but I would say you did the right thing. Put the blind up wherever you think you have the best chance of getting a deer. You have already been respectful by asking and trying to work together.

You may be a great guy, but that guy may have had bad experiences in the past. Don't take it personally because he said NO....might have nothing to do with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can tell you that as a landowner/manager it does stink to have "fence-huggers". Guys that have never put in any effort to manage the land or deer and then show up and get as close as possible to ground that has had a lot of time, effort, and money poured into it. Call me whatever you want, but I would not allow you to hang a stand on my side of the fence either. In fact, I think its poor manners to put up a stand or blind right on a property line. Its just not something I would do to someone else and not something I enjoy having done to me. If he said yes and you hung a stand right on the line, do you think you could resist shooting a giant buck that walked up the wrong side of the fence right under you? Its easy to say that you could resist until that scenario unfolds for real. Being a landowner with a passion for deer hunting and habitat almost requires you to become hardened to the feelings of those that ask for permission. I allow several friends to hunt. It makes me happy to share. I have shared my property with guys from this site. I have had guys get mad because I told them no. It used to upset me. Now, I really don't care what they think. They can go buy their own land and manage it anyway they see fit. One thing I can bet you is that they wont open the gate to every guy that asks.

Respect his boundary, and go hang a stand or brush in a blind and enjoy your hunting. Do anything other than that, and you risk losing your permission altogether.

13. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You should have never asked for permission to hang a stand on property you don't have permission to hunt and especially a no-no if you know the property is being managed for hunting. You should have only inquired about what to do if a deer you shoot on your property crosses onto his property.

14. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    if you feel thats the best place to hunt then setup a ground blind. i wouldnt settle for a mediocre spot. sure you might get lucky there but to me the point is to harvest a deer and that means setting up in the best spot. just check to see if you could recover a deer if it runs onto the other property

15. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I really see both sides of this one. I hate fence huggers. I had a guy put up a stand 36 yards from mine overlooking a trail that is only on our property. The deer dont use his land other than maybe taking a dump at midnight, so he felt the need to see whats going on by me. He said he saw my stand and figured it was a good spot. Like fletch said, there is no doubt in my mind that if a boone was on my side of the fence and I was hunting a different spot, he would let one fly. Its a spot that has since gone too hell because he has pressured the area. He comes in at prime time and coughs like you wouldnt believe. I even noticed that the deer make an effort to circle farther around his property line. Its tough, because while it is his land, he is showing no respect for us. We have been hunting this particular piece for 9 years, and he just moved in and screwed up a once productive pinch point. The most important thing is keeping your landowner happy at all times. Besides that, it is ignorant too say "hunt it any legal way". The guy could have been way more resectful, but that said, I see his point. If the guy is a huge D-bag in the future I would say let him get butthurt. But keep in mind whatever you do, that deer is going to run onto his land 9 out of 10 times for cover. Just my .02...Good luck

16. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    People get territorial over hunting rights, and rightfully so if they have a lot of time and effort into it. So with that I understand his reaction. I would of course recommend that you keep the peace as he could impact your permission status potentially. But regardless of that if you have permission to hunt the property I would indeed setup a ground blind in the best available location. I would continue to be courteous and maybe not setup right in front of him if that makes sense.

17. janesburg

janesburg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If he is 36 yards from you are you not also a fence hugger?

18. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, now that he bought the land, I guess you could say that I am a fence hugger as well. I had permission to hunt the land that he now owns. We have had that stand there for about 7 years now. The spot has since gone to hell with his intrusion, so I'm going to pull my stand out of there soon.

Sent from a piece of paper, tied to a rock.

19. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This says it all very simply.

20. Onetrakryder

Onetrakryder Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    New here so I don't want to make anybody mad. I agree that he could have kept his cool but just for a moment put yourself in his shoes. Has permission to hunt both sides. Has determined after putting in time that this spot holds the deer in the area and is trying to keep the deer there to hunt. It's great you got the permission but a guy was already there. And working to do the same thing you want to do. You've got permission to hunt your side and could move in but it starts bad blood. You've got maps and are getting to know the place. Did into the details and maybe another spot emerges you can use. End of the day this is your call but if you were him in this situation you may be feeling the same way. Hope you find a resolution that puts you in a good position without pushing the deer away from you both. Best of luck to you.